The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 27, 2002, 12:29 AM   #1
HKguy9

Photo: Domke Photo Jacket & Royal Robbins 5.11 Comparison

http://www.skunkabilly.com/images/rr_domke.jpg for big 4MP shot.

Observations, top to bottom.

0. I bought the smallest sizes possible for both: medium for the Royal Robbins 5.11 , and small for the Domke Photogs jacket. The RR cost $40 and the Domke, about $100. The Domke jacket converts into a vest if you can live without cooling vents. Other than that, I don't think the jacket is missing any features of the vest and doesn't cost much more. The RR vest comes in tactical black and khaki, and the Domke only in khaki. Both are cotton, and not that packable, but not sure why you'd want to pack load-bearing clothing.

1. Domke has a lined hood that tucks away. Drawstrings for the hood. Domke zips all the way down and has a few buttons along the way, the RR, being a vest, zips half way up and has a button there.

2. Back: RR has vents in the back. The Domke vest has a mesh for cooling, but I only have the jacket, which is made a little differently, but then it's a jacket and is supposed to keep you warm.

3. Sleeves: RR obviously doens't have any. The Domke sleeve has Velcro adjustable cuffs, and a small pocket in the left shoulder for your smokes. The sleeves can be partially unzipped for venting if you need to cool off a little, but need all your goodies on you. Undocumented feature.

4. Back: Domke has no pockets in the back. RR has a vertical vent. RR has two rear water bottle pockets, one on each side. One smaller size pocket in the outside back, and a pretty big pocket on the inside back. Big enough to fit a medium sized paperback or Jeppesen kneeboard, but can get uncomfortable sitting with bulky items at your 6:00 position.

5. Inside pockets: RR has a big left-side inside pocket with Velcro closure. The Domke has two left-side pockets, both with zipper closure, good for retention for codeword and other super-secret clearance papers, I keep a first-aid kit in the lower one. The right-side has a wide pocket with Velcro closure, wide enough to throw a ball cap, beanie, balaclava, crushable boonie or other tactical nogginwear in there.

6. Super Secret Conceal Carry Pocket: Between the inner and outer garment fabric is a super-secret conceal carry pocket with adjustable Velcro panels. Really hard to describe. I spoke to the RR rep and he told me you can buy magpouches or holster from Eagle Industries that attach to the panels. Supertactical!

7. Breast pockets. Hey Beavis...he said 'breast'...huh huh... The RR has two breast pockets with no Velcro closures which seriously cuts back in their usefulness if retention is a factor, if you dangle inverted from helicopters all the time like me, but has a toolstrap. The RR right-side pocket, without velcro closure, is really a PITA because the pocket kinda hangs open, can cause your long gun to snag onto the opening. The Domke has Velcro flaps and are a little larger. The Domke has a 3 tactical scribbling utencil capacity, the RR only has one, and instead of being stiched onto the pocket, the tactical scribbling utencil pocket is really a partition of the breast pocket which cuts down the size of the breast pocket.

8. Mid pockets. The RR has a wide pocket on the right-side with an integral keychain thingy. The Domke has two smaller right-side pockets, probably for rolls of film, but fit a Leatherperson or a few shotshells, and no left-side pocket. The RR has a zipper closured left-side pocket, and a D ring for essential goodies like an Photon LED light. The Domke has a drawstring for adjusting for your girth.

9. Lower pockets. Left-side, both have big pockets, but the RR has 3 elastic loops in there for magpouches, Sure-Fire, etc. The Domke has a big right-side pocket. The RR's right-side pocket is where it really shines and the main selling point. Instead of a larger pocket, is has two narrow pockets with Velcro flap, each fits a 20-round .308 magazine or about 16 12ga. shotshells. If you load right-handed, it's VERY nice and my preferred method of loading. If you're a southpaw, it's even better, since you can load with your weak hand and use your right hand to keep your shotgun pointed at the goblins.

Last edited by HKguy9; November 27, 2002 at 01:59 AM.
Old November 29, 2002, 09:16 AM   #2
notos&w

great review. it is so tactical.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicide; for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments (1764).
Old November 30, 2002, 08:42 AM   #3
twoblink

Is there a pocket for a picture of the Korean SWAT chick??? No? Then it's not as tactical as you thought...