The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 4, 2016, 08:36 PM   #1
FM12

Rock island model 200 38 spl.

Been looking at these at the local gunshop. Any experience: good bad ugly?? I'm pretty close to picking up one soon.
Old September 4, 2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Auto5

No personal experience here, but if that's what fits your budget, my advice would be to study Jim March's revolver checkout sticky above. Bring your feeler gauge set and give it a thorough exam.
Old September 4, 2016, 09:49 PM   #3
franco45

I had one for awhile. It was a good inexpensive revolver. The finish was cheesy and the grip was a hard plastic that looked like rubber. I traded it away but not because of any problems with it.
Old September 5, 2016, 08:20 AM   #4
Dozermonkey

Good morning all ! My wife and I picked one up , a 4" m200. For $219.00 it's hard for me to pass on cheap guns. Some turn out to be good deals , some turn out to be sellers or traders. Any way , I've had my eye on these for awhile.

Our experience. Out of the box it's what you expect from a $219.00 gun. Not as refined as a Smith or Ruger. Trigger pull is not bad but clunky and gritty at first.
After lots of dry firing and about 200 rounds it is smoothing out. Again not like the others but it's usable. Actually it's not bad. I think some polishing is in its future. The wife shoots it really well and says she likes plinking with it. Her go to gun is a Security Six so I guess that says something ?
Ammo. We shot full wadcutters , copper and lead along with 158g swc. No problems. I think this will be fine for what it is. A cheap gun.
Are we happy with it ? Yes
Would I buy another ? Yes.

Ps. The double action trigger pull does no like to be babied . In other words slowly pulled. If you do this the cylinder will not ALWAYS rotate to 100% lock.
It will fall short by fractions of an inch. A firm quick but calculated pull will get you to lock up ( you will feel it and hear I it ) and then a slow pull to break the hammer. This seem to get better with use.
Sorry for the crappy writing and lack of proper technical terms.

Last edited by Dozermonkey; September 5, 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old September 5, 2016, 08:36 AM   #5
turkeestalker

I'm pleased with my m206 and wouldn't hesitate to pick up an m200.
Old September 5, 2016, 08:50 AM   #6
Dozermonkey

A pair of 206s is next for us as well.
Old September 5, 2016, 08:56 AM   #7
g.willikers

The problem with odd ball guns is if they ever need service.
There's probably no aftermarket support, so they usually have to go back to the factory.
Not a problem if nothing ever goes wrong, of course.
Or if the factory is close by and easy to ship to.
I have a different odd ball revolver and it never has gone wrong in any way.
Good thing as the factory ain't no more.
Just a thought.
Rock Island - Armscor has been around a good while, though.
Old September 5, 2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Dozermonkey

Well that is true. It is what it is. It's like that cheap tv at Walmart. If it last 2years and craps out , trash it and get another. When we purchase items at a certain price point we realize we are taking a calculated risk that it may not last or get our money's worth. I'm fine with that. That can be said for a lot of things.
Old September 6, 2016, 11:55 AM   #9
pete2

Service can be a problem. I called Rock Island about 2 months ago and left word, they haven't called me back to this date, same for an email I sent to them. Good thing the problem is with a 1911, I was able to fit a new ejector but I had to pay for it.
Old September 8, 2016, 07:22 AM   #10
TimSr

I bought an M200 4" for my son's birthday for $219 also. He has an LCP for carry protection, but it's not much fun to shoot all day at the range, so he wanted a range toy.

Finish is ugly as it gets, looks painted, and I'm not a fan of the plastic grip, also thought it was rubber in pics, but gun shoots nice, and trigger action, both double and single are nice! Feels more like a Smith than a Ruger. Has fixed sights, and shoots a couple inches to the left at 50'. Also shot high with the ammo we were using, but that is easily addressed. Groups were tight enough to say its sufficiently accurate, but premature to know its full capability. Everything seemed to just get smoother the more we shot it. We've got maybe 150 rds through it, so its early to claim it's reliable yet, but it looks promising. I wouldn't hesitate to by another one, as I don't consider $219 an incredible risk.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:05 AM   #11
RUT

>>The problem with odd ball guns is if they ever need service<<

In my case it'll never get used enough to break, and if it does I'll just cut it in half and junk it.
Old September 8, 2016, 06:00 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The problem with odd ball guns is if they ever need service
Rock Island has pretty good customer service, and they've got an office in Nevada.

That said, the action looks very much like a Ruger. It should be pretty robust. The one I shot seemed decent enough, especially for the price.
Old September 9, 2016, 08:28 AM   #13
handlebar

I picked one up for under $200 from Centerfire Systems and it functions well. It looks like a Colt Detective. Guys at the range are surprised at how accurate it is at defensive distances. I keep it hidden on the first floor of my house in case we get uninvited visitors. The finish is parkerized and rough, but it does what it is supposed to do...go bang when you pull the trigger. I practice with 38 spl, but keep it loaded with Gold Dot 135 gr +P (limited diet okay from RIA).

I have S&W revolvers, as well and there is no comparison in quality. The RIA is a gun you don't mind losing if a situation arises. I would cry if I lost my S&W 586.

Last edited by handlebar; September 9, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old September 9, 2016, 10:18 AM   #14
TimSr

Quote:
It looks like a Colt Detective.
From my research, you can use Colt grips to upgrade the plastic ones.
Old September 10, 2016, 05:00 PM   #15
ifithitu

I m going to add a 200 .38 Special, to my collection.
Old September 12, 2016, 12:58 AM   #16
Radny97

They do a lifetime warranty and their service shop is located in Nevada. RIA has been around a while with a good quality and service record. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.
Old September 14, 2016, 02:18 AM   #17
Model12Win

Dozermonkey, your gun is out of time if it doesn't lock up correctly when you slowly pull the trigger.

Send it in to RIA.
Old September 14, 2016, 04:47 PM   #18
Dozermonkey

Yes, I am aware of that. Seems to a popular quirk with this revolver. Thanks for your input
Old September 20, 2016, 03:57 AM   #19
Kilibreaux

The RIA revovlers are inexpensive yet functional and reliable. Being all-steel they can handle +P loads with ease.
First oil it well, then pump the trigger with vigor...then cock the hammer with equal vigor to see if the cylinder "carries up" and locks. If, after such forcible actuation the cylinder fails to carry up to lock, then you need to send it in.
Old September 25, 2016, 08:51 PM   #20
FM12

Got me one!! Will post more after shots fired.
Old September 25, 2016, 10:02 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

Had one. Nothing special. Crap finish. Cheap grips. It went bang. Don't think it was rated for +P's but I could be wrong. However, it is inexpensive and works.
Old September 25, 2016, 10:59 PM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
The RIA revovlers are inexpensive yet functional and reliable. Being all-steel they can handle +P loads with ease.
I too thought they were not rated for +p.
Old September 25, 2016, 11:47 PM   #23
Model12Win

According to RIA, they are approved for limited +P usage. I would fire a few +Ps in one to test function and POA, and that's all and of course carry them.

For either an M206 (snub nose version) or M200, I would recommend the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain .38 special +P load as it performs wonderfully from both 2" AND 4" revolver barrels.
Old September 26, 2016, 12:03 AM   #24
Pathfinder45

Where are they made?
Old September 27, 2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Model12Win

Quote:
Where are they made?
The Philippines.