The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
HamsterHamster

20ga SxS, what are my options these days?

I am in a market for a 20Ga SxS. This will be mainly used for clay shooting.

Not too impressed impressed with the CZ with turkish pedigree.

My budget is around $1000, I know it is not a lot, but I save to buy things I want.

Another problem is I'm 6'3. I prefer english stock, as far as I understand, shotguns are all in the fit. Finding a used 20ga is kind of hard.

I did find a 20ga SxS Parker Bros that has a nice action, but someone had shortened the stock at some point, that was a deal breaker for me.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Virginian

Hit GunBroker and look for a Browning BSS Sporter, a Winchester 23, or a Beretta SilverHawk/470 series. I haven't looked in a while and am not up to date on pricing. I would add Parker reproductions but I doubt you would find one close to your price range. There are a ton of others but those are all pretty reliable. If you are looking strictly for a light field gun look for Bernadellis and AYAs too. Good luck.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Slugo

Google "SKB side by side", they made some excellent guns. Also, look at DeHann who uses Huglu shotguns and makes them work as well as something three times the price...

http://www.dhshotguns.com
Old August 27, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
oneounceload

There are some great looking Ithaca SxS (made by SKB) on GunsInternational.com in your price range - give or take a few bucks
Definitively worth the look
Old August 27, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Hosty79

I really like my Ithaca SKB 280E, I don't know what they run price wise now. It pulls up so fast I've taken my shot before I realized I'd pulled it up, and I'm 6'3".
Old August 27, 2012, 11:51 AM   #6
BigJimP

Or expand your options by looking for Over Unders as well..../ stacked barrels have a lot of pluses...and you're going to find stocks on O/U's with a lot more flexibility in terms of different lengths of pull, etc...that you won't find in any of the SXS's in that budget range.