The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
thedudeabides

Remington 870 and 3'' shells

I have a home defense 870 with the 6 round extended tube. I can feed 6 2'3/4'' shells without any real problems, but when I try 6 3'' shells I get resistance with the last one. I can jam it in, but I get the feeling I'm flattening the spring out.

I'm guessing it's not the best idea to stuff the last shell in, is it? The shell chambers, but I'm worried it may not in a emergency...
Old August 23, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

You got it figured as far as I know. I always thought that shotgun capacities were quoted for 2-3/4" shells and didn't even know 6 3" would fit my 870 security model. Does it flatten the spring? I am not sure about that. Some people say that modern coil springs don't lose energy from being stored compressed. If you are really jamming in that 6yh 3" shell, it is possible that inexpensive shot shells may mushroom and cause a jam.

I would refer the question to Remington. Actually, I checked its web site as I have that model and it says
Quote:
Magazine capacity is six 2 3/4" or 3" shells
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...c-7-round.aspx

I feel better as I keep 6 2-3/4" in the tube and now I know that leaves some room.
Old August 23, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I feel better as I keep 6 2-3/4" in the tube and now I know that leaves some room.
I generally agree with you there although I'm guessing the spring would be just fine over time....

OP---why are you using 3'' shells vs 2 3/4''?
Old August 24, 2012, 04:58 AM   #4
thedudeabides

I prefer 3'' 00 shells because the most likely intruder around here is a hungry bear.

Between idiots feeding them and leaving out trash, they've lost all fear of humans and get into garages, houses, etc.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

You figured it out. Don't try six three inchers.
Don't ask Remington. I had a question for them recently and got the distinct feeling that being functionally literate was not a requirment for employment. Responses received had no relationship to the question asked.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I prefer 3'' 00 shells because the most likely intruder around here is a hungry bear.
Sound logic there.
Old August 24, 2012, 05:41 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Quote:
You figured it out. Don't try six three inchers.
Don't ask Remington. I had a question for them recently and got the distinct feeling that being functionally literate was not a requirment for employment. Responses received had no relationship to the question asked.
Heck, the cuzins need jobs even iff they dunt have much bookin! GD eleetits
Old August 24, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
drail

I would not force that last round in the magazine. The spring needs a little room if you want that last round to feed. If the gun is going to sit fully loaded for some time most definitely don't squash the spring down that far.