The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Slugo

looking for a project gun, I think...

here's what's running through my pea-brain. Thinking about hunting down a nice old Superposed in either 12 or 20 gauge. Preferably with shorter barrels, like 26". Would like one in fairly good shape, but doesn't need to be mint in anyway. The older, the better with nice wood and patina.

Now, why do I want this? Easy, I've been somewhat of an art collector for a number of years. No watercolors or fufu paintings. I like objects of art, and to me an older Superposed fits the bill. My next door neighbor is a master carpenter and cabinet builder. So, I get him to build me a very contemporary thin glass front cabinet which will house my prized shotgun, and it gets displayed in my home office for all to enjoy! Every now and then, I'll take it out and run it through a box or two of shells. Afterwards, she goes back up on display.

What do you think guys! Now, the hunt begins...
Old August 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #2
oneounceload

GunsInternational.com will be a great source for older Superposeds - I have seen some in the 1200-1500 range that seem to fit what you want
Old August 22, 2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Slugo

thanks 1oz, that is a good place to start. I just missed a beautiful 12 gauge, 28" with straight English stock at a local shop here. She went for $1400. I'll check Guns International...
Old August 22, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
BigJimP

I'm not a fan of keeping guns in glass cases...but I live in /near a pretty big city too...

What's the project part for you ...you going to refinish it ?? Like you accurately quoted me ...sometimes the search is most of the fun ...so it'll be fun !!

Cabela's gun rooms on the internet - lets you search all the stores / could be a good source. I would probably also call DuPont and some of the bigger, high end, gun dealers....they'll have something for you.

...and before you ask....No, I don't have one you can buy ...!!

http://www.krieghoff.com/index.php/dealers/shotguns

Last edited by BigJimP; August 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old August 22, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Slugo

LOL
Old August 22, 2012, 02:03 PM   #6
oneounceload

As of 8/22 GunsInternational is showing over 508 Superposed for sale by various folks - remember, this is a SALE site, NOT an auction site - there were 4 on the first page of 11 in that price range give or take a few bucks - 12 are cheaper than 20's
Old August 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Slugo

a 12 gauge in nice shape is probably what I'm looking for. The 20 gauge guns usually carry a 20% premium. Also, I would prefer 26" barrels choked at IC/Mod or SK/SK...