The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Jimmy-Bag-o-Nickles

Remington 870 value?

I'm looking to see if anyone can get me a value of a new, still in the box (1984 year) Remington 870?
-3" Chamber
-12 Gauge
-PumpAction
-30" Full Choke
Vent Rib Barrel

Will Handel 3" & 2-3/4" Shells

Like i said, it's still in the original box, with all of the brochures, tags and I believe it was manufactured in 1984.

I'm looking to buy it and I'm not sure what to pay...

Jim-
Old August 21, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

It is still in the box, but what is its condition (new, like new) and is it an
Express or a Wingmaster? You say it is a "full choke". Do you mean that the barrel has a fixed choke or it takes choke tubes but comes with a only full?
Old August 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Virginian

1984is pre Express and pre RemChokes. So it is a Wingmaster and a fixed choke.
Old August 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Major Dave (retired)

Some of those older Wingmasters...

have some beautiful wood. What does the stock on this one look like?

You can buy an aftermarket barrel with Remchoke threads for it. Hastings has quite an inventory of such barrels. About $200, plus or minus, IIRC.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5
BoogieMan

I have seen used 870's in VG condition with fixed chokes, no box selling in the high $800's. Thats at a Gander Mountain in VA and one in NC.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 24, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Pahoo

For this Wingmaster, you can throw out the $200.00 and for sure, the $800.00. Oh course condition is everything. You can buy a new Express for about $300.00, that I wouldn't have. ....

You need to go to the auction gun sites and see what kind of action these are getting. Currently the market is somewhat depressed. Also find someone with a BlueBook. Might also add that there are collectors out there that would or should be interested in you WingMaster, if they haven't already contacted you ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 24, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
BigJimP

870 Wingmaster or not ....its still a fixed choke gun / with a Full choke in it...

so it isn't very versatile...

you can shoot lead shot thru it ( not any Steel shot ) ....so it might be ok for casual Trap shooting ...or casual Sporting Clays shooting ...so I wouldn't pay over $ 250 for it ..as is / even if it is new, and unfired in a box ....because to put another barrel on it with changeable screw in chokes is going to cost you about $ 350 - $ 500 depending on how many chokes you buy.

There are too many other new guns out there...like the Browning BPS Hunter model ...a pump gun that lists new for $ 660 ...and commonly sells for around $ 550 or so ...and its every bit as good a gun, in quality, in my opinion as an 870 Wingmaster.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...2&tid=211&bg=x