The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
old fart

blackhawk

i thought it was ati but instead its the blackhawk brand that is at wal mart. i've had a thread on here about hiking with my shotgun as its my only gun for now, but the regular stock is quite heavy and i was looking at making it lighter. i found a blackhawk 6 position stock with forarm at wal mart, i picked up the package and it is lighter than just my buttstock. are these good?, and are they ok to use slugs through? trying to make my gun as light as possible but still keep it usable, a pistol grip only does make it alot lighter but hard to hit with. so does anyone know about these? thanks
Old August 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

It's the 6 position stock and it's making it difficult to shoot accurately? That's not making sense to me....? Are you shouldering the gun as you would with the regular stock or just hip firing?

Blackhawk products are good quality to answer that question; they'll be fine with slugs.
Old August 14, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
old fart

i had a hogue pistol grip on it before and i had a hard time hitting targets past 20yds, it was comfortable tho. this new set made by blackhawk at my local wal mart, i was thinking about getting. i wanted some input cause i know nothing about them. it is the blackhawk specops adjustable stock and forend kit. thanks
Old August 14, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4
scottd913

what kind of shotgun is it?
i got a recoil reduction stock for my moss500 it came with the forend the stock is 6 position and has a inner spring that absorbs the recoil...love it
it is made by Phoenix technology
Old August 14, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

That is supposed to be a good one if it is what you are after. Do you need an adjustable stock with a recoil absorbing mechanism or would you rather have a regular stock? If a regular stock fits and you don't need the recoil absorbing mechanism, I would go with a regular old stock. (Your priority seems to be to reduce weight. Which is lighter?)
Old August 14, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

The only ones I've seen at walmart are the non-recoil absorbing models like this:
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Spec...wk+knoxx+stock
Old August 14, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
scottd913

i am not sure what he is talking about, i haven't checked at wal-mart i was just offering an option. i got mine at www.cheaperthandirt.com but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere. i have back issues and I'm an old fart too and it helps greatly. sure that one cost more than the blackhawk but to me it was worth it.

anybody know what kind of shotgun it is?
Old August 14, 2012, 10:58 PM   #8
dwaawd

Old, if the Blackhawk stock you looked at was lighter than your factory stock it was probably the non recoil stock like this:http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Spec...wk+knoxx+stock

A Remington Blackhawk recoil reducing stock weighs 1.15 lbs and the forend weighs 7.4 oz. I would think that's more than your factory stock. How much does your wood(?) stock weigh? But, you may have one of them loooong woodies
Old August 17, 2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Catalyst

I have the Blackhawk adjustable pistol grip on my 870 Police. It has a very uncomfortable cheek weld, but it does a good job of reducing felt recoil.

Order this from Blackhawk if you like the style and operation of the recoil reduction stock, I don't think this is what they have at WalMart:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Pow...ce,212,165.htm
Old August 27, 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
jamesburke

Winchester 1300 Definder

works great.

From the longest arm of the law to the shortest, the Knoxx SpecOps Stock is instantly adjustable to fit any shooter. With over 4 inches of adjustment, this is a stock that the entire department can use comfortably in any application and with any load.

The innovative Knoxx PowerPak™ brings a new level of versatility and performance to the acclaimed SpecOps Stock™. The modular PowerPak System includes a raised cheek-piece for use with optical sights, a shell holder that presents five 12-gauge shells ready for quick reloads, a watertight storage compartment for earplugs and spare batteries, and a standard height cheek-piece for use with low-rise sights or bead.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Did you copy that from blackhawk's website?
Old August 29, 2012, 08:49 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

Catalyst, Per JR McGuire of AI&P Tactical the trick is adjusting the Knox Special Operations stock.

http://www.aiptactical.com/Breaking_In_the_870.html Read the part about Recoil Reducing Stocks and adjusting them so they don't cam back and pop you in the face