The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
smokiniron

Recommended reflex sites for a Mossberg 500 security pump

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a recommendation on some simple reflex sites for a pair of security-style Mossberg 500s. They are drilled for a rail, but none are installed as of yet. Who makes a reasonable 1X power red-dot or similar, for a modest investment?

Thanks!
Old August 10, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2
PetahW

Tru-Glo TruBrite's fit Weaver-type rails and are about $80 @ Dick's Sporting Goods.

The one I bought has four different reticles in either red or green available as the large side dial is turned.

Old August 10, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Not the Bushnell First Strike!

They don't hold up to 12ga recoil (at least two so far didn't...), see video evidence below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrke91JRvsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qFBCOhudk

I've ran the TRS 25 and Primary Arms Micro Dot on my 870s with no issues if you're looking for a low budget option. On the higher end, the RMR and Deltapoint are great but you'll pay for it.
Old August 10, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
smokiniron

Comments noted, thanks! Does the Tru Glo take a 12ga well? I'm loading 2 3/4" 00 buck and 1oz rifled slugs. 3" may be used, but I like the 5+1 and 7+1 capacities the 2 3/4" shells afford
Old August 11, 2012, 02:41 AM   #5
idek

plouffedaddy mentioned the Primary Arms Micro Dot. I've never used one, but I've heard many good things about them, and it would be what I'd try in the sub-$100 category.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
hermanpj

try the Vortex Sparc or Vortex Strikefire.

I shoot w the Vortex Strikefire on my 12 ga semi-auto. It is accurate, doesnt mind the abuse of the 12 ga, and is a good price at around $169.
Old August 11, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7
smokiniron

re the Vortex Strikefire

Thanks, Heard good things about it too. It looks good, especially with the included 2X multiplier and reticle control. It's a little beyond the budget, but maybe my wife will like one for Christmas!
Old August 20, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
hermanpj

i have never found the 2x magnifier to be of much use btw... i keep it in the original box, in my gun locker.

put another 100 shells through the gun - heavy dove loads (ok not as heavy as 3 inch 000 buckshot, but you get the point) and it stayed dead on balls accurate. watch for it to go on sale at academy some time. thats where i got mine.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
smokiniron

hermanpj - sight on sale

Thanks for the heads up on the occasional sale on the sight!
Old August 22, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Lee Lapin

I wouldn't do it.

Shotguns have a reputation for eating inexpensive optics, number one. If you're going to hang an optic on a 12 ga., make it a good (i.e., expensive) one.

Number two, if the comb height of the stocks isn't modified to get the shooter's eye up into the new line of sight with the optic, the shooter won't be able to get a cheek weld. With a 'floating face' it will be difficult for most shooters to find targets in the optic, and impossible to do it quickly.

It isn't as simple as just adding an optic...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 22, 2012, 05:30 PM   #11
idek

Quote:
Number two, if the comb height of the stocks isn't modified to get the shooter's eye up into the new line of sight with the optic, the shooter won't be able to get a cheek weld. With a 'floating face' it will be difficult for most shooters to find targets in the optic, and impossible to do it quickly.

It isn't as simple as just adding an optic...
http://www.beartooth-products.com/sh...sing-kits.html
getting something like this can inexpensively raise the comb. whether or not a person cares for the appearance may be another story.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:03 PM   #12
MyWifeIsAGlock27

i have a cheap $30-40 BSA red dot on my mossy 500 and for under $50 and being through 3 hunting seasons and some bad weather its held up pretty good and is still as accurate as the day i put it on
Old August 23, 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
hermanpj

Im not sure maybe im not geting your point about the choice of a vortex, and combs and cheek welds or whatever.

a. a vortex is cheap to some, expensive to others. I have a EoTech XPS2-2 on my AR, I find that to be too expensive to waste on a shotgun.

b. as to shooter finding target in optics quickly, i have my fat face stuck to the stock and have a ton of eye relief, see targets very clearly. Where the little red dot is, when i pull the trigger, a 12 inch wide hole appears. thats how it works.

c. when is the shotgun going to eat it up? is 200 shots of heavy dove loads enough? i'm assuming its enough to verify it isnt going to eat my sight.