The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 27, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
gjw

Need Some Price Info - Surplus Rifles

Hi all, trying to complete my modest little collection of military rifles and need to know the going price in VG to VG+ condition for the following rifles:

1) Italian M91/38

2) Type 38 Arisaka

3) SMLE Mk III

Looking for good shooters, nothing collector grade.

Thanks so much!

Greg
Old April 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
chiefr

Most of what you want should run between $200 - $300 for good shooters. IMHO, I see more bargains on the surps at gunshows than I do on GunBroker et al, but there are exceptions. I have found some great deals on GB. However at a gun show, you get to check the bore if you want a shooter.

Of course in your quest, you will find sellers that want a ridiculously high prices for their common variety milsurp. There was a plain jane type 38 on GB for $4000! The highest bid for the 38 was $100. I also saw a common Carcano for $1000 on another guns for sale site.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
tahunua001

just out of curiosity, are you looking for an SMLE because you are filling out a collection of enfields or are you just looking to ad an enfield to your collection of milsurps? if the latter is the case I would recommend a NO4 MK1* over a SMLE MKIII simply because they are a simplified design and have a stronger action. that's just my suggestion.

to answer your question though, all of these can be had for around 200-300 dollars+shipping and FFL.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
indy1919

Greetings with all due respect, there is no way you can just pick either a SMLE MK III or a IV.. You will have to have both. (do not lie to yourself you will need both)

You will be watching a documentary on WW I and you will want to take the MK III out.. On the other hand you will be watching a "bridge to far" and you will need to shoot the Mk IV