The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 22, 1999, 01:54 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Just found (and bought) a WW-II era Breda model 710 12-ga auto, and I'm looking for some background info.

The manufacturer's stamp reads "Breda-Breschia." It has a 24" vent rib barrel with a threaded end, and a 4" extension of some sort. SN 31396.

The dealer could only tell me that it was built in 1941; I don't know where he got his info.

The bore has a few small grooves, as if someone fired superhot steel through it, but otherwise, it's a beauty.

Any info would be much appreciated.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Old June 22, 1999, 06:05 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't find any info on the 710, probably since it was not imported into the U.S. However, those Bredas were all basically copies of the Browning Auto, using a long recoil mechanism.

The date of manufacture is marked on all Italian firearms of that period. It is in Roman numerals dating from the start of Mussolini's "reign" in 1923. So a gun made in 1941 would be marked XVIII.

Jim
Old June 22, 1999, 08:14 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

COINNEACH
I don't have information on the 710, but can furnish you a little history on the Berda MKII.

The Berda 12ga, Mark II semi auto shotgun is mfg'd in Itally be Breda Meccanica Brescianna. there were 7 distinct productions series in the 12 GA. Breda shotgun prior to Introduction of the Mark II version in 1957. Production of the firest series was started in 1948. the mark II series designated 1008A, covers Breda 12ga shotguns numbered from 40,001 and includes the Breda Superlight model also introduced in 1957, which is serially numbered from 500,001.

The design of the Breda Mk II is essentially a modification of the Browning long recoil system. In this system the friction brake requires adjustment for light and heavy loads. Kits are available to convert 12 ga standard models to 12 ga magnum.

I am sending you, by sepereat email, the assem/disassem of the MKII, which is similar to your 710/

HJN
Old June 22, 1999, 08:46 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Jim,

I don't see any Roman numerals on mine. Where do you think they'd be?

Harley - Got the email. Thanks a million. FWIW, the barrel is marked 'MAGNUM' in an ellipse.

------------------
--Roland Deschain

Old June 23, 1999, 06:13 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

COINEACH:
According to the information supplied, if yours says magnum, it has probably already been modified with the kit supplied from Breda. You can also identify by looking at the serial number. If the serial number falls within the areas as presented, it may not be as old as the dealer had indicated.

HJN
Old June 23, 1999, 09:39 AM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Thanks, Harley. I'm not all that concerned about the actual age of the gun; just bragging rights at the range.

------------------
--Roland Deschain

Old June 23, 1999, 01:09 PM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Coinneach:

I can hear that. I would brag on it also.

HJN
Old June 24, 1999, 10:11 AM   #8
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Sigh...

Took the beast to the range after work yesterday.

Seems that the same Federal max DR loads that bruise the s*** out of my shoulder in my Mossberg don't have enough energy to work the action in the Breda. Plus, the range owner doesn't allow magnum loads. So much for the idea of reserving it for trap, unless I want to yank the action open each time.

On the 3rd shot, the forend cracked, and a huge chunk of it fell off.

Like I said, sigh. Perhaps I'll just get a trap barrel for the Mossberg, and use the Breda as my primary defense (after I replace the forend, grrr).

------------------
--Roland Deschain

Old June 24, 1999, 11:48 AM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Coineach:
Look at the description I sent you, it may be possible to get your shotgun to work if you change the gas seal around.

HJN
Old September 7, 2005, 04:44 PM   #10
YooperJ

You have a Breda 710 Magnum which shoots 3" and 2 3/4" loads. It has a recoil system similar to the Browning A5. The thing that threads on is a choke tube made by Quick Choke. They made 3 of these in full, modified and Improved Cylinder. Clean the heck out of the gas seal and piston and I lubed mine with a light silicon (I know, shouldn't do that) and now it works for the heavier 2 3/4" shells. It won't cycle the light loads but the 3 dram ones seem to work fine. You can adjust the washers and piston in the recoil system to shoot lighter loads. Just look up the diagram for an A5.

Thanks,

YooperJ
Old March 31, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
JoeVaz

Charles Daly Novamatic

I need information on a Breda shotgun. The receiver is stamped "Charles Daly Novamatic." I am specifically looking for a place to get parts for the gun. Can anyone help me out ?
Old March 31, 2008, 04:14 PM   #12
SDC

JoeVaz, the Novamatic series was imported during the 60s, so it may be difficult to find parts for them; your best bet would be Numrich, at www.e-gunparts.com ; they show a number of parts for the Charles Daly-imported guns.
Old March 31, 2008, 05:12 PM   #13
JoeVaz

SDC..... many thanks !!