The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
IrvJr

Steel shot questions

I have a Browning Cynergy over/under shotgun that I have been using the past few years for clay shooting. This season I'd like to do some hunting with it and might use some steel shot with the gun. The Browning user manual states that the barrels and chokes are tempered steel and are OK to use with any SAAMI loads (including steel and other non-toxic shot).

However, I was wondering if shooting steel shot regularly has any negative effects on the bore of a shotgun. Should I be concerned about regularly shooting steel through my O/U or is it more or less the same as shooting lead? Does the use of steel shot significantly accelerate wear of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 9, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
SeekHer

As simply as I can put it, NO!

If rated for steel, and I know they are, then you can shoot anything you want out of them...

Have fun...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old October 9, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
BigJimP

No, Steel Shot won't harm any of the Browning O/U's.

But be sure and pick the right choke / usually the tightest recommended is Modified since Steel doesn't compress like Lead shot does.
Old October 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
oneounceload

Your browning chokes SHOULD have them marked on the tube - 1 constriction for lead, the other name for steel - that is - (as BigJim alluded to) - a choke labeled Modified for lead will be the equal of a Full for steel....
Old October 9, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5
jaymce

As others have said it is not a problem.

I run about 50-75 rounds a week for about 2 years now. No problem. Most say no chokes tighter than Mod and that choose 1 choke size bigger when shooting steel. IE Mod with lead = Imp.cyl with steel (think that is right).

It is my understanding that the shot stays in the wad until it exits the barrel. So unless there are different wads for steel and lead there should be no additional wear there.
Old October 9, 2009, 01:41 PM   #6
IrvJr

Thanks Fellas. My user manual has a table that lists the chokes with their effective choke pattern when using steel shot. I guess I need to buy some cartridges and pattern my gun next week.

Thanks again for your help.