The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2001, 10:20 AM   #1
DeBee

Bolt Jump on Winchester 70

I have at least .25" of bolt jump on a Winchester Classic I am working and I don't know how to solve the problem other than bedding a "stop" into the stocks bolt slot which is my last resort...

What causes bolt jump and how can I fix it?
Old September 15, 2001, 05:36 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Can you clarify the problem? I think you mean that the bolt handle rises after the rifle is fired. First, does it happen in firing or only in dry firing? The latter is more common and is obviously no problem. Even movement after actual firing is no big deal, since it occurs after firing and after the pressure drops; there is no safety concern.

Jim
Old September 15, 2001, 10:00 PM   #3
DeBee

You've got it, Jim. The bolt moves more when dry fired but the movement is less pronounced when a round is fired...

I am relieved that the condition is not dangerous, but it is bothersome to me-- the rifle lacks that solid feel I like... It doesn't lock up like an old Mauser I guess...
Old September 15, 2001, 10:33 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Without looking at the rifle, I can't say just what needs correcting. You might call or write USRAC and simply say that you are bothered by what happens, and ask if they will fix the rifle.

Jim