The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2014, 01:05 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would say that a squib followed by a normal charge would almost certainly damage your barrel in a highly visible way. In most cases, it would have a ring/bulge where the first bullet stopped

I would also point out that if you're primary concern is keeping the thread on topic and not veering off into fault or reloading practices, dedicating 6 out of 7 paragraphs of your own post to the former rather than the latter may not be the best way to do it.
Old May 20, 2014, 02:31 PM   #27
JKilbreth

Quote:
I would also point out that if you're primary concern is keeping the thread on topic and not veering off into fault or reloading practices, dedicating 6 out of 7 paragraphs of your own post to the former rather than the latter may not be the best way to do it.
True, but I mentioned that much to hopefully end that vector of discussion.
Old May 20, 2014, 04:50 PM   #28
WESHOOT2

so back to topic; been all too often around this block with others

First and best way: Don't get one stuck (okay, I got in my 'Bazinga').

Remove barrel.
-Then....you can attempt to turn it out by using a properly sized drill bit with a hand tool attached to turn it (vise grips).
Oil first, liberally.
-You might be able to, using a rod/dowel/etc., pound it out from the muzzle-to-chamber.
-Sometimes you can peel it out from the chamber end.

But the best option is the first.

Ensure your sizer, flare, seating method, and crimp, prevent bullet setback (IMO&significantE the most likely cause for those blowing up their Glocks with handloads: Insufficient case neck tension).
Old May 20, 2014, 10:15 PM   #29
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilbreth
It's also not completely provable that a double charge was to blame. It's quite possible I had a light charge (or absent charge) that lodged a bullet in the barrel, causing dangerous pressures from a perfectly normal load that followed it to damage the firearm. But even if that were the cause, again, that's not the question I posted.
Now that you brought it up.
A double charge of Titegroup is not necessarily a requirement for a 40 S&W Glock to KB. TG has been known to get squirrelly(technical term) when pushed towards Max. Something as simple as bullet setback can take an otherwise safe TG load and turn it into a KB load.

I disagree with your "lodged bullet" scenario. If the load was so weak or completely absent of powder then the slide would not have ejected the round and fully chambered a new round. You would have had to manually cycle the next round. Did you do this?
Old May 20, 2014, 10:40 PM   #30
reynolds357

It is wise practice to avoid powders that are capable of double charging. You are probably a much more conscious reloader than I am. I rarely load pistol anymore. My policy of powder choice has saved my rear end on pistol reloads at least 10 times. I mainly reload rifle. Regularly, I attempt to double charge a rifle case. I am "absent minded" (adult A.D.H.D.) so I put safeguard in place to deal with it.