The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 02:20 AM   #1
YourpalBrian

Glock 17 compensator question

Hello,

I wish at first to explain that I have less than average understanding when it comes to handguns. Every since my time in the USMC, and my recreational shooting following, I have always used rifles. I am decently knowledged on with the AR style weapons and bolt guns. I have always had an interest in handgun competitions. I am, of course, quite rusty, in that I only occasionally shoot my CCW (Cheap SW .40 Sigma - I believe the trigger pull is 600lbs). Either way, going from the pretty straight forwardness of rifle shooting to the more complex workings of a handgun have given rise to a few worries.

I recently decided to upgrade and bought a Gen4 Glock 17. I love it. With this purchase, my interest in competitive shooting has become slightly reborn and has led me to start browsing the internet to learn more about the weapon and what can be done to it. I have browsed many forums now and have decided to get an LW threaded barrel and a Jager compensator. In learning about the available barrels and pieces, in came ideas of guide rods and recoil spring weight. Perhaps I am a bit old and thick, but I find myself lost on these topics and wished to ask your advice.

If I put said barrel and comp on my Glock, is a recoil spring and rod upgrade required? Forums have made me nervous by stating different ideas. I have read a few times that the ISMI guide rod and 11-13 lbs spring is the way to go. Would you recommend this? Are the upgrades even needed at all? If I do upgrade my barrel, am I limited by the ammunition I may use? Could I take a box of reloads and plink, or am I looked at higher grain bullets exclusively? Also, should I be looking at any other parts to invest in?

Any advice at all would be incredibly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian
Old January 28, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Nanuk

The Glock 17 runs like a sewing machine. If you use that comp you will modify the timing and may have to play with different spring to regain the reliability for little or no gain in control-ability.

If you were going to make a full race gun then yes the comp will help, but for SD and IDPA I would keep it stock.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
gothcopter

In terms of results, my advice would be to take the money you would have spent on that compensator and spend it on ammo. If you're starting out, another 1000 rounds of practice ammo sent downrange will do more for your split times than any compensator or wing-ding.

Which is not to say you shouldn't tinker if you want to. If that's your thing and you enjoy it, then by all means go ahead! Some of the best times of my life were spent doing things that "weren't an effective use of my time".

Tags
g17 , glock , glock 17