The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
stew870

after market chokes

Do you guys think after market choke tubes make that muck of a difference when hunting? and if so what are your chokes of choice
Old August 23, 2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

In order to answer that question you need to know where you're at with the chokes you have.

I establish a base line and build from there. In my exprerience that help if you know what you want, but there is no golden combo. It takes time and money to figure it out. I use 3 different chokes for 90% of my duck hunting, I/C, Light Mod and Mod.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Virginian

The biggest difference I have seen is the size of the hole they put in your wallet. You do need to make sure any tube used for steel shot is so rated. I have shot hundreds of patterns with Browning, Remington, Brileys, TruLocks, Colonials, Carlsons, and even some RedHead from BassPro, and probably some others, and the only thing that matters is the constriction versus the bore diameter. I have had some custom bored tubes that worked perfectly for what I was doing, but that is a rare exception.
I did get a couple of duds, and spotted that before ever firing a round, but I won't say the names because I am sure I had the new ones in my hand before the defective ones got back to them.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:48 AM   #4
oneounceload

I prefer extended chokes whether for target or clays for two reasons - I can safely see what is in there and tighten accordingly and they do help to protect the muzzle - better to replace a $65 choke tube than an $800 barrel
Old August 23, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5
BigJimP

I think we're misunderstanding your question...

Does your shotgun have screw in changeable chokes now ?

If yes, what brand ? - the Original Equipment Mfg brand ?
Old August 25, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6
stew870

have a beretta 3901 with a mod choke that came with gun
Old August 25, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ok, since its a Beretta 3901 - I'm sure it has screw in chokes...and yes, most of us have other chokes for our guns ....that we use on live game birds and in the clay target games....picking a choke is based on the "kill distance you expect" ...because the idea is to put a 36" pattern out there, at the kill range, with enough density that a bird or clay can't fly thru it without dying... from more open to tighter...chokes are: and in general, this choke will give you that 36" pattern at approximately these ranges

Cyclinder Choke ....out to 20 yds
Skeet Choke ....20 - 30 yds
Improved Cyclinder 25 - 35 yds
Modified ...30 - 40 yds
Improved Modified ...35 - 45 yds
Full ...beyond 45 yds...

Every gun barrel -- and every choke is a little different...but the above will give you some guidelines.

If you're on a budget ....you can get by with a Modified....and maybe an Improved Cyclinder..../ add a Skeet or Open Cyclinder if you want .../ and add a Full if you want.....

Most of us carry 6 chokes for our primary guns ....Cyclinder, Skeet, Improved Cyclinder, Modified, Improved Modified, Full.../ I like extended chokes so I can read what I have in the barrel easily - going with Beretta in your case - or Briley, etc ...probably makes no difference. I'd stay with the style of Beretta choke that is in the gun ....take it out of the gun ..and read what it says on it... Then check out Briley's site ...and find your specific choke style ...Beretta uses more than one style in their guns.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:45 PM   #8
stew870

thanks for the info I do understand how chokes work and when I hunt I have always used a mod . just wondering if the aftermarket chokes are any better the the factory ones
Old August 26, 2012, 10:18 AM   #9
oneounceload

That is going to depend on your gun and load, and the only way to determine that is to take your current loads and chokes and pattern them - if you are getting the patterns you want, then go with what you have; if not, then try some after market ones
Old August 26, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10
BigJimP

Browning's/Winchester's OEM chokes are probably made by Briley ...

I don't know who is making Beretta's / Benelli's chokes..../ but it wouldn't surprise me if Briley was making those too...

but After Market chokes aren't inherently better ....at least not better than either Browning/Winchester or Beretta/Benelli's chokes.