The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Turn2gold

Browning Sporting Clays

Just got a used but in excellent condition Browning Gold Sporting Clays 12 Ga 30" Ported invector Plus Barrel SN#113NN25009 . It has a Nickle receiver with Gold Accents with Sporting Clays on one side.

The problem is i cant find any information on it . Ive seen a couple selling for about $1200-1300 and it resembles the Golden Clays version .

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the correct model is and what it might be worth?

Thanks

It looks like this picture but not as shiny

Last edited by Turn2gold; August 11, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
BigJimP

The Browning Gold series of semi-autos is no longer made in 12ga ...( Browning has shifted their production of 12ga semi-autos to the Silver series, Maxus, - and now adding the Auto 5's as well again, etc ...) .......and I don't recall exactly, but the Browning Gold series switched to a 10ga only in about 2008.

Your gun is part of the generic Browning Gold series of semi-autos - and yours was produced in 1999 according to the browning web site. I don't recall all the versions they made within their semi-auto line...but some of them did have embellishment engravings on the side of the receivers - but every year they seemed to change a little. Unless you can find an old Browning catalog from 1999 ...it'll be hard to tie down exactly how your gun was marketed.

Value is hard to tell ....Browning made a lot of those guns / there are even some new in the box from dealers in excess inventory. Values are commonly around $ 800 or maybe $ 900 / and there were a number of them made as promotions for Ducks Unlimited, etc. My suggestion - shoot it and enjoy it ...
Old August 13, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Barber2678

From Blue Book.

98% - $1,225
95% - $950
90% - $850

Subtract approx. 10% if with older engraving motif (non-scroll, disc. 2004).

Do the math. Not nickel either, coin finish aluminum.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Turn2gold

Hey thanks . I beleive the actual model is a Golden Sporting Clays. Its in great condition and i paid $799.

It looks like this picture

Last edited by Turn2gold; August 15, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old August 15, 2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Slugo

you did good!
Old August 15, 2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Virginian

It's a good gun. I detest porting, but just for targets where everyone has ear protection it's not intolerable. A friend has one and we went shooting a couple of months ago, and it quit working by station seven. So did another guys Beretta semi. We had the place to ourselves, so we pulled them apart. Both looked like they had been over lubricated with tar. Neither of these guys are big time shooters and both bought the guns used and it transpired they had been reluctant to take them apart. We cleaned them up with some CLP or RemOil and a dirty rag borrowed from one of the groundskeepers, and the rest of the way they both ran as flawlessly as my 1960s Model 1100. Take care of your gun and it will likely take care of business for you.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Barber2678

That's the Golden Clays version of the Gold Sporting Clays. The values in my previous post reflect that version. I think you paid a reasonable price.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:09 AM   #8
BoogieMan

I just bought a nice Fusion Gold for my son. Same gun without the engraving and porting. I paid $600 in about 90% condition. I would buy another one today at that price.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 19, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Turn2gold

Went and shot skeet with the Golden Clays this weekend. It performed flawlessly and took 3 boxes of Rio Super Game Loads 7.5 1 1/8 oz without any feeding problems .

After i got home and was cleaning it i pressed the bolt release button by accident while the barrel was off. I hope i didnt hurt it but not sure.