The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 24, 2002, 07:49 PM   #1
Norge

hapkido

Anyone have any thoughts on this. I'm about to begin learning, and was wondering what to expect.
Old April 25, 2002, 04:25 AM   #2
KaliSIG

Norge,

Hapkido is a good martial art. Think of it as a blend of Aikido & Tae Kwon Do. Start the training with an open mind and see if it "fits" you. When I say "fit", I'm referring to your personality/beliefs and body type. Despite what some may say, not one martial art is either the ultimate or the best there is. Keep in mind that there are 3 fighting distances; long distance/kicking distance, medium distance/punching distance, and short distance/grappling distance. It would be to your best interest to cover all distances. The martial art style does not make the person.....the person makes the martial art. In other words, a martial art is only as good as the student. And most of all, the concept of a technique is more important than the technique itself. Afterall, you'll be training/studying/fighting different people of various sizes and styles. With that said, a particular technique can't apply itself to all those variables. But the concept behind the technique can and will apply itself to any variable. Hope that helps.....excuse the long post.

Adrian
Old April 25, 2002, 07:18 AM   #3
Norge

Thanks KaliSIG. I'll give it a go. I'm pretty excited by the idea right now. This class is supposed to be geared to those who have to humanely restrain, and dissuade attackers in the real world.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:39 AM   #4
Erich

Wow, Kalisig said it all. I'd just like to chime in and say that I found Hapkido to be very useful because it goes out of its way to borrow successful techniques from other styles. It seemed the most practical of the martial arts available to me in college (very real world), so that's where I ended up. I think you'll be pleased at how much solid, practical stuff you can learn in a short time.

In addition to the (very useful) self-defense aspects, you might find that you get a benefit in learning how to fall. I know it's basic, but this one thing from Hapkido has saved me from so many injuries (I'm a klutz sometimes, and I charge forward somewhat harder than I should).

Anyway, not to get too far afield, I think you'll enjoy Hapkido.
Old April 25, 2002, 11:37 AM   #5
KSFreeman

Erich and I studied under the same Master in undergrad, except while Erich was raking his Zen garden and doing sit-ups, I was hanging with sorority girls. As Mr. Burns said, "Use what works and call it HapKiDo." We were encouraged to study other forms and attend seminars from other instructors.

What Kali said. Like firearms, people think it is the technique and not them. They are incorrect.
Old April 25, 2002, 12:23 PM   #6
Erich

Old April 25, 2002, 06:24 PM   #7
gryphon

Hapkido is a great martial art as well as a good start for self defense. It has been the core of what I was taught and has served me well for the last 17 years.

Expect if you have a traditional Korean instructor lots of pain. When I was going through my training, nothing was a given, and nothing was given to me. If you didn't do something right, or you didn't earn it, you didn't reap the rewards.

I only bring this up because some schools open for a way to make money as the top agenda and they have a tendency to move people along so they can collect more money for "belt tests". They also tend to be more politically correct and like to push their students toward entering tournaments.

Good luck, enjoy, and always keep your guard UP!, Oh, yeah almost forgot - STRETCH! Gte those muscles loose.