The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1
hblac

Tennesse CCW Rules?

I'm a North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit holder traveling to Memphis this week by car. Where am I not permitted to carry my weapon while in TN?

Are restaurants that serve alcohol totally off limits?

Any unique requirements in TN that I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Old February 20, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
LastRebel70

You can carry in a restaurant in Tenn as long as they don"t have an age requirement or have a no handguns sign posted.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Don H

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old February 21, 2010, 10:27 AM   #4
hblac

Don,

Thanks for the link. It appears NO restaurant carry (where alcohol is served) concealed or otherwise is allowed due to a ruling handed down in November of 2009. Am I reading this right? Anyone know where that stands as of today? Guess I'll just have to leave it in the car when chowing down.

Last Rebel, thanks for your reply as well but it looks as though things changed last November (if I'm reading the legal mumbo jumbo correctly).
Old February 21, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
RETG

From Handgun Laws information on TN:
"Land between the lakes is still off limits. From what I can learn it is owned by the Corp of Engineers and
does not fall under the new National Park/National Wildlife Areas in the new Federal Regulations."

That is partially incorrect. Land Between the Lakes is controlled by the USDA, National Forest Service and is considered a National Recreation Area. However, they do not allow carry of weapons except during authorized hunting seasons and with a license to hunt.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Dragon55

hblac you've read correctly...... for now no ccw in restaurants .. we look for this to change shortly.

However, even when it does you'll still have to be the designated sheep dog in your party as you cannot imbibe while carrying.

Also..... just last week we got a new one.... even if you do not have ccw you can have ammo with gun as long as gun is not loaded in your vehicle.
Old February 21, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7
T-MAN1984

Why have a CCW at all if they are gonna keep limiting where you can carry. I can see the standard no-fly zones such as banks and bars, well I guess maybe government buildings too, but those type of places have signs that are had too miss. (Although I used to deliver water to a courthouse, you should have seen the sign-in guards desk drawer, full of all kind of confiscated knive/weapons)
But anyhoo, I feel you should be able to protect yourself everywhere (some exceptions) or nowhere, I dont see how the setting has president on carry, bad guys dont follow rules, and these laws arent going to affect them
Old February 21, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8
LastRebel70

Glad you posted that appears I was wrong. Last time I had checked it was legal.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN1984
I can see the standard no-fly zones such as banks and bars
In many states it is legal to carry in banks, in some states it is legal to carry in bars and in a few states it is legal to drink and carry as long as one isn't "under the influence".
Old February 22, 2010, 05:52 PM   #10
hblac

Here in Memphis

Well, I made it to Memphis. Thanks to all who responded. Guess I'll have to go unprotected and leave the Detonics in the hotel room. Ya think anyone would be able to tell that there's a Keltec 3PAT in my right front pocket??? Just kidding!
Old February 22, 2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Gary Slider

I missed removing my reference about believing the Corp ran the LBL's when I updated the TN page Last November. When I saw the post about the TN page stating that I knew I had removed it. But I had it in two different sections of the TN page and missed removing the one. Me Bad but Steve will post the new TN page in a day or so. Thanks for pointing out my error.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:56 AM   #12
macville

TN only has a few places off limits. Schools, places that serve alcohol, local parks if posted, and businesses that are posted according TN code (very few are posted correctly.)
Old February 23, 2010, 03:43 PM   #13
dabigguns357

Wow i'm glad to see this thread,is there way to keep it sticky so others can easily find it.

I'm planning a trip April 1st -4th to Nashville,Smyrna,Murfreesboro,and even Dickson if we get a chance and was wondering if i could carry while there.

So am i reading all this correct,my wife and i can carry as long as long as it complies with local law.