The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2005, 07:07 PM   #1
XavierBreath

Local Self Defense Shooting Considered by DA

D.A. to Decide if Drug Store Shooting Self Defense

Monroe Police have released the name of the suspect who was shot in an attempted robbery of a drug store Thursday evening. 25-year-old Travis Jefferson of Monroe died after he was shot by a store employee.

It happened just before 6pm at Mel's Pharmacy in the 1700 block of South Ninth Street.
Monroe Police say Jefferson entered the drug store through a side door carrying a gun and demanding money.
Investigators said 4 employees were inside the store at the time when one of them reached for a handgun and fired 2 shots.
The suspect was struck once in the upper chest then stumbled out of the store into the parking lot and collapsed.
He was transported to Saint Francis Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Police are not releasing the name of the drug store worker who shot Jefferson. That person was not hurt.
Police Chief Ron Schleuter says the case will be forwarded to District Attorney Jerry Jones who will determine whether any charges will be filed in the case.

http://www.knoe.com/full_story_1.html
Old January 21, 2005, 07:35 PM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

And what is the problem here? Bad guy enters place with a firearm. Employee shoots bad guy, quite possibly saving the lives of everyone in the store not to mention his own. Bad guys dies. The only thing missing to this story is that the good people lived happily ever after.

I suppose the DA is required to review the evidence and make some kind of announcement. Hope that if this is all there is to the story that said good samaritan (and good shot!) is given some kind of honor from the city.
Old January 21, 2005, 07:57 PM   #3
XavierBreath

As I find out more facts, I will post them. Rumor is that the weapon was a .357 revolver.

Rumor is that no charges will be filed, although that side of town is presently incensed over 5 policemen who were no-billed last week after shooting and killing a man who was armed with a folding knife and a chain. We will see how the politics play out. Lots of justified gun use around here lately.

Here's links to that story.
http://www.knoe.com/newsarchive/No_I..._Shooting.html

http://www.knoe.com/newsarchive/Hend...g_Process.html
Old January 21, 2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Dwight55

Xavierbreath, . . . I'm with David, . . . what is there to consider?

Dude does not come in the front door like a paying customer. Comes in the side door.

Dude does not have money out for purchase. Has gun out for robbery.

At that point, . . . my life is at stake, . . . I am watching his face and hand for the first sign of "shooter-itis". If he takes the money and hits the road like a horse apple, . . . its cool. If he makes the wrong gesture that makes me think someone is getting shot, . . . I'm doing my best to make sure it is him that gets shot.

My assumption is that that is what happened, . . . end of story. I do not condone trivializing the loss of life here, don't get me wrong, . . . but this bg made the decisions that got him shot.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 21, 2005, 08:43 PM   #5
XavierBreath

Oh, I agree that it is likely a justifiable shooting.

I'm just interested whether the DA will bow to some hot political pressure and charge a person with a crime for a justifiable shooting.
Old January 21, 2005, 11:23 PM   #6
NYC Drew

Quote:
Xavierbreath, . . . I'm with David, . . . what is there to consider?

a. What type of parade?
b. Lump sum reward, or over 15 years?
c. Deputize the clerk now, or at the parade?

'Drew
Old January 24, 2005, 04:46 AM   #7
LAK

This applies to other places and circumstances; but if someone walks into a store with a drawn firearm or produces one, I am already under the rational fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm. Whether it is pointed at me or not. Unless the subject is clearly identified as a bona fide peace officer, he or she is not going to be quizzed on whether or not cash, goods and services will be enough.

This sounds like another case of death by misadventure.
Old January 24, 2005, 10:32 AM   #8
RWK

LAK (and others) are 100 percent correct.