The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 22, 2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Carbon_15

Rimfire suppressor questions

I'm thinking about getting a Tac-65 for plinking. I have almost bought one 6-8 times but keep talking myself out of it. My biggest concern is thats alot of money for a novelty with no real use for me. If the cool factor wears off, it would seem like a waste of money.

Here is my question. does the novelty of plinking with a suppressed .22 wear off pretty quick? After a year are you still happy with it, or does it collect dust?

Thanks,
Jason

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old January 22, 2007, 08:01 PM   #2
rangermonroe

I'm thinking that not having to wear earmuff and keeping the neighbors happy is timeless.
Old January 22, 2007, 09:40 PM   #3
deadin

The TAC-65 is advertised as reducing the report of a small caliber rifle by about 38Db. That brings it down from around 140 Db (handguns are marginally louder to start with) to about the level of a jackhammer (100 Db).
I still see jackhammer operators wearing hearing protection.
Old January 22, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
rangermonroe

Try a subsonic round. You can hear the hammer fall.

Your 'super dynowhopper" ear muffs reduce noise by... 28-30dB... sound about right?

Now I could be entirely wrong about this, but its free. I believe that decibels are calculated in orders of magnatude. Kinda like the reichter scale.

My math may be off here, but 61 dB is 10x as loud as 60 dB.

Whether or not I am insane, 35dB reduction is better than I get with my earplugs. By 5

FWIw, I was standing next to a fellow who was shooting a suppressed 22 for the first time.

When he shot, I heard the bullet hit. He said to me "Oh, a misfire".
Old January 22, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5
rangermonroe

Buy the can

You won't be disappointed.

If you are, I will buy it from you. And pay half of your tax.

'Nuff said?
Old January 22, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6
Dave Haven

Quote:
Technically, 63 dB has twice the power as 60 dB. To our ears, it takes 70dB to sound twice as loud as 60 dB.
Old January 22, 2007, 10:56 PM   #7
VUPDblue

deadin, you must have never fired a suppressed .22lr. On a bolt action rifle, they are much more quiet than any BB or pellet gun I have ever fired, and on a pistol, they are a bit louder, but not even close to a jackhammer. I wouldn't trade any of my cans for the world. The novelty never wears off. If it should happen to get dull, fire a couple mags with the can off, then put it back on and, presto, you get your novelty back!
Old January 22, 2007, 11:01 PM   #8
crowbuster

A quality .22 can is a joy forever. You can thread up pistols and rifles to your hearts content. .17 HMR, 22 LR, 22Mag, 22 Hornet all work great in mine. On a good day, Ruger 10/22 heavy bbl., Burris Ballistic Dot, Aguila Sniper SubSonic (SSS) ammo all combine to reign death at 200 yds. on my steel crow targets. The discharge sounds like my old Daisy lever action BB gun (if that loud) and after a couple seconds flight time you can hear the TINK as the crow falls. I've had it for years and the WOW factor just keeps growing.
Old January 22, 2007, 11:15 PM   #9
MGRacer

The enjoyment of shooting with a suppressor has not worn off for me -- in fact I have suppressed a many of the guns I own including .308, .223, 44Mag, etc. Over the years I have collected 9 different .22 suppressors -- each is unique and I enjoy them all. Just last weekend I took 4 different suppressed handguns to the range. It is really nice to not have the muzzle blast. Buy a suppressor -- you will not be disappointed -- if anything you will want another one for a different gun.

BTW -- a suppressor both reduces the peak sound pressure and significantly reduces the duration of the peak sound intensity. Both are important to how we "hear" the sound and also to hearing protection. For instance a chain saw is about 105 db while a .177 Crossman air pistol with 10 pumps is about 123 db. (Source: Silencer: History and Performance by Alan Paulson page 24). Of course the air pistol sounds much quieter because the duration of the sound is much shorter. Some of the suppressors shown below will reduce the sound of a .22lr gunshot to 108 db to 112 db. They are and they sound much quieter than the air pistol.

A few of my favorites:
Tactical Solutions Aluminum upper with SRT Cheyenne -- total weight 24 oz.

Left to right: SRT Sound Master, AAC Phoenix (no longer made), Serbu Siris (no longer made)
Old January 22, 2007, 11:29 PM   #10
deadin

So 140 Db minus 38 Db doesn't equal 102 Db?
I was just looking at a table that put a small bore rifle at 140 Db and a jackhammer at 100 Db.
As for not having shot a suppressor, you're right. And I'm not likely to as WA has some strange law that I understand to say I can own one, but I can't put it on a gun.
Old January 23, 2007, 01:35 AM   #11
raymond-

negative. you can own one but it's a gross misdemeanor to fire one. besides,
you're much closer to OR than I and no doubt will have many opportunities to
fire there as well. Cans do not require BATF permission to cross state lines (in
this case, into OR).

http://www.atg.wa.gov/opinions/1988/..._1988_016.html

prohibited from firing is not enough to bypass purchases, i opine. these may
one day be grandfathered and made verboton. i've shot mine when on outings
with local Class 2s ... which allows me to ride their coat tails a bit those days.
Old January 23, 2007, 06:16 AM   #12
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
The reason thos jackhammer operators use hearing protection is because it is a constant noise. As a noise continues it builds up the damage. a constant jackhammer noise would eventually damage the ear while a shorter duration may cause slight adn temporary hearing loss. Biggest mistake I made was not wearing hearing protection when firing a 7 mm mag in a box blind. The gun has porting/muzzel brake and the noise bounced off the wall and came back to me and my dad. we both have lost hearing in our left ear but my dad has had some other things happen that aggravated it.
Old January 23, 2007, 10:56 AM   #13
deadin

Quote:
negative. you can own one but it's a gross misdemeanor to fire one.
And why would I want to put one on a gun if I wasn't going to fire it?
For the "coolness" factor? Sorry, that just doesn't do anything for me.
Even if I were willing to drive to Oregon every time I got the urge to shoot it, what would the trade offs be? First the $200.00 cost. Then to make it really quiet I would have to shoot sub-sonic ammo, thereby giving up range/accuracy. I would have to hang additional weight on the end of the barrel thereby unbalancing the gun and making it more akward to carry.
My gains would be that I wouldn't have to wear hearing protection. (Hoo-boy )
Also I would be able to shoot without bothering my neighbors. My feeling on this (even in Oregon) is if you are close enough to your neighbors to "bother" them with a .22, you're probably too close to be legally shooting in the first place. If not, they can go pack sand. (We wouldn't want to circumvent the law would we?)
Of course, these are my feelings on the subject. When I total it up it's just not worth the effort, for me.
Old January 23, 2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Crosshair

Even if you shoot supersonic ammo, a 22 suppressor still mkes the gun much quieter, especialy handguns. The sonic boom noise is not much of an issue compared to the muzzle blast and is often overstated in importance IMHO.

A 22 sounds quiet in the open, but get into the woods or anywhere else where that muzzle blast and sound can echo and be contained and that unsuppressed 22 suddenly becomes very loud.

/Just got my TAC-16 .223 suppressor last week.
//Threaded barrel for gun comming today via FedEx.
Old January 24, 2007, 03:05 AM   #15
raymond-

deadin
i guess that's what makes it work for me. when I'm out in the sticks or inside
my domain, firing with a suppressor works fine. when I'm with the group of
Class 2s, I become part of their entourage and the local LEOs don't blink or
bother us.
Old January 24, 2007, 06:30 AM   #16
mxwelch

Here's one I made. It ended up costing me about $215 with $200 going for the stamp. It's as quiet as some other commercial suppressors I've fired although I haven't taken a reading.

Old February 14, 2007, 01:13 AM   #17
NFACurious

By law, jackhammer operators are required to wear hearing protection because the noise is over 80db sustained over a period of time. Thats thanks to OSHA (which I agree with). 100db with a short period will not damage your hearing.
Old March 4, 2007, 10:32 PM   #18
skeeter1

Quote:
You might want to check this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibels

An increase of 3dB is ~twice as loud.

Be aware that a surpressor on any firearm is going to cost you a $200 BATF tax stamp and, I think, a FBI background check. Electronic earmuffs are a LOT cheaper.
Old March 4, 2007, 11:45 PM   #19
p99guy

electronic hearing protectors dont serve the same function lol ...the suppressed .22 is the most practical of all the suppressed weapons, even a long time favorite of uncle suger. The fact you can load up with CCI subsonic
and the person in the next room of your house wouldnt hear a gunshot over the crunch of their grapenuts (electronic muffs dont do that my friend)
Small game can be hunted without making the other furry little animals all go into hiding for 30 minutes....
a near miss may even just cause confusion, rather than hightailing it for cover.

ADM. Chester Nimitz even had a suppressed High Standard HD Military .22 pistol that he practiced aboard ship with to relax..and no it wasnt over the fantail either..when you are supreme boss you get to shoot in the house

here is 400.00 in Tax stamps of mine..AAC phoenix 22/45, AWC 5.56mm Optima

and custom holster and pouch from Battlecloth for the two items.The circular thing in the lower left is a AR15/M16 gas shield...protects from backpressure(like the BRI gas buster charging handle that costs $90.00)

go to the link below for access to magazine articles on suppressed .22's
http://www.advanced-armament.com/articles/

Last edited by p99guy; March 5, 2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old March 5, 2007, 02:23 AM   #20
mxwelch

I tried the one in the picture above on my Ruger AC556 yesterday with the Ciener .22 conversion kit. It really didn't help a bit. I suspect the chamber pop with the volume of gas from 1400 RPM is just to much for it.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:05 AM   #21
p99guy

Your results are to be fully expected if you were using ammo that broke the sound barrier...there is nothing to slow them down in a muzzle can. (the OPTIMA is rated for full auto 5.56mm fire as far as handling the gas volume goes, at 30 onces in weight and almost 9 inches long and 1 5/8 inch diameter its not a small suppressor)

Im sure it was fairly loud with the crack of the bullets...where my pistol has a ported barrel, to keep everything just under supersonic even with Hi Velocity ammo...no matter what(as a contrast in systems.)

a 10/22 or a Walther P22 with a muzzle can is loud with supersonic ammo as well.

just go buy CCI or RWS subsonic( I order it from midway when not availible local)...and it will be like night and day in your AC556 w/muzzle can and .22 kit
Old July 10, 2007, 12:50 PM   #22
RFly2Dive

I really do not have any real suppressor experience but I was wondering if someone bought the "best" .223 cal supressor rated for full auto would it be possible to use the same suppressor on their .22 cal pistols and rifles. Has anyone done this and how did it effect the silencing ability when used with a .22 since it is drilled for the .223 round?

Even if there was a mild increase in the volume in .22 it would bo the most versatile/economical of all worlds if it was safe to do this.
Old July 10, 2007, 09:34 PM   #23
douglasschuckert

.223 cans on .22's

The answer is yes to everything. 22LR is still very quiet out of a .223 can. Its not as effective as a dedicated .22 can is, but close. The untrained ear wouldn't know much of a difference unless the two were compared. The only downfall is the additional weight. No .223 can outthere will reliably cycle a browning-action .22 auto. (fixed barrels like the Walther P22, PP22, Ruger MK??? series, Browning Buckmarks, should cycle fine....) the additional benefit is the thread patters are the same for .223 and 22LR's, as well as most 9mm (although you cant shoot 9mm from a 223 can).
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old July 10, 2007, 09:42 PM   #24
douglasschuckert

Wow!

THOSE ARE SOME BEAUTIFUL PICTURES OF SOME VERY BEAUTIFUL ITEMS!!!

I L-O-V-E my silenced .22LR.... The tree-rats hate it, but I don't! :-) (not that I would shoot poor-ol-scooter anyway..... )
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!