The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 12, 2014, 10:41 AM   #1
jasmith85

Issues buying a handgun out of state

I was browsing through the handguns at one of my local gunshops yesterday and found what I consider to be a great deal on a Springfield XD40. The store has them priced new at $349.99 plus tax and transfer. I would have bought one right away but I live in Tennessee on the state line with Kentucky and this shop is in Kentucky. I know I can buy it and have it shipped to an FFL in Tennessee but by the time I pay the store to ship (he priced it at $40) as well as having to pay the transfer fee (my FFL charges $20) it won't be such a great deal anymore.

The only way to keep this a good deal that I have been able to think of is finding a big box store in Tennessee that will price match. My only semi-local big box store is Dunham's and I have already called them and its a no go. The guy that I talked to there said that as long as I could get some sort of ad as proof they would match even small gun shops but the shop has to be within 5 miles of the store. I'm not even sure there is a house within 5 miles of this store and the Dunham's is more like 50 miles away from it. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just accept that I am not buying one of these XD40's?

Note: I will not ask one of my friends from Kentucky to purchase it for me. I will graduate with a teaching degree in a couple years and can not chance any type of weapons charge on my record.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Jay24bal

Not really any way to get around this one (assuming you plan to follow Federal laws, which you say you do, so good for you).

My only advice would be to watch the big online retailers as I have seen several specials lately with that gun at the same price you mention. Doing it this way will save you the $40 in shipping as most of them do not charge for shipping. Now all you have is the transfer fee at your local FFL on top of the $349.99 and no sales tax either.

If you do not want to go this route and prefer to support local businesses, I am out of ideas.

Good luck.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 12, 2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Note: I will not ask one of my friends from Kentucky to purchase it for me. I will graduate with a teaching degree in a couple years and can not chance any type of weapons charge on my record.

That's good... because that's more than a "weapons charge". Both you and the purchaser would be committing multiple federal felonies.

There is no way for you to buy that gun without having it shipped or brought to the FFL in your state. If it's THAT close to the line, it may be legal (depending on your state laws) for the FFL to simply bring it across to an FFL in your state. No (federal) law says it has to be shipped, you just can't take possession in that state.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:19 PM   #4
jasmith85

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about seeing if the dealer could just hand deliver it to my FFL but I doubt he would be willing. The store is really close to Tennessee, less than 10 minutes from my house which is less than a mile from the state line to be exact, but the Tennessee FFL that I use which is the closest that I know of is another 35 minutes from my house. To be honest I didn't really expect there to be a way to purchase the gun from the shop. I was mostly hoping for that slight chance that someone would know a chain that would price match a store more than 5 miles away.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:02 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Have you asked your Tenn FFL what they can get that gun for?

Its a sad fact that in order to comply with the law you might not be able to take advantage of the best deals, due to actual physical location. But complying with the law is paramount, and certainly worth more than just a few dollars, considering the possible alternatives.

you might consider just moving a mile down the road...
Old February 15, 2014, 02:13 AM   #6
MarkDozier

You could find a FFL who has licensed in both states. We have some in the Vancouver area just over the river from portland.