The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 15, 2002, 02:37 AM   #1
Beyond_Visual_Range

Possiblity of Reshaping and Reducing the Pistol Grip Size???

I love my Ruger P90 Stainless Steel, but the grip is just abit too large for my hand to shoot steadily. I'm thinking of using Hogue's grip, but I'm afraid the metal frame is what's keeping the grip too large. As long as I'm going to cover up the metal frame, I've been contemplating the possibility of reducing the metal grip frame with a Dremel type of power tool. ( I actually have a Black&Decker RTX).

The pistol has a single-stack magazine, so the Ruger Aluminum Alloy metal frame has quite abit of metal excess. I'm thinking about making the grip both thinner and shorter (from trigger to back). The main area I'm considering is the skeleton behind the side panel right now. This will be covered up by Hogue's Grip, so it should be alright. I also plan to grind away some that touches the area between my thumb and index finger. If reduced, it should do much to make the grip firmer, but I wonder how difficult would it reshape this Aliminum Alloy.

I would like to know if anyone's done something like this before. If so, what tools were used to reshape, and also to refinish the metal. Thanks for any insight or ideas.
Old January 15, 2002, 08:25 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I know that some smiths are doing this on glocks. I don't see why you couldn't right off hand. I don't have any advise as to what to use. If I was doing something like that I'd use a milling machine. Just remember it's much easier to remove metal than to replace it. George
Old January 15, 2002, 03:16 PM   #3
9mmepiphany

just an observation...maybe stating the obvious

1. hogue grips will ADD to the size of your grip
2. you might try looking for thinner grip panels or thinning the stock panels before grinding on the frame (grip panels are cheaper)
3. the "grip size", in .45/10mm guns, is determined more by their depth (front to back) than their width (side to side)

personally i found the p90 just uncomfortable to hold but find the p97 much nicer...you might compare the 2 to get an idea of where you want to end up.
Old January 15, 2002, 03:57 PM   #4
Beyond_Visual_Range

yeah, I do think it's the "depth" rather than the width that's bothering me. I'm going to grind all along the back of the pistol grip....which I hope with Fritz and Hogue's rubber grip, there wont' be cosmetic problems. I'm just worried about what's needed to grind away the Aluminum Alloy in the frame. Like I said, all I have is a B&D RTX that works just like a Dremel but with more torque. I hope it's powerful enough.

BTW, I've tried the P97 too, it wasn't that much better for my hand. And I opted for the stronger looking metal frame. I like heavy handguns, just that most big handguns' grips end up being too large in my hand.
Old January 15, 2002, 04:54 PM   #5
9mmepiphany

ok, more info...

before you start grinding, determine where you want more grip.

1. is it a problem reaching the trigger with the backstrap correctly positioned?
2. are your other fingers not getting around the frontstrap? which finger(s)?

if it's #1, just reduce the area that meets the web of your hand... you could also round off the edges of the trigger to improve position

if it's #2, you can reduce both the front and back straps, keep in mind that if you only grind them flat, without contouring the edges, you end up holding a 1"x2"

good luck
Old January 19, 2002, 10:29 PM   #6
45Badger

Ned Christiansen does this on 1911's. He may be able to help. Check out www.michiguns.com
Good luck.
Old January 19, 2002, 10:35 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

The chances of doing what you want, and doing it well, are pretty slim. Then you're going to have a gun you don't like and can't sell.

I'd suggest, instead, that you look at the Ruger P-97. Its basically the same gun, with a slightly smaller grip and improved barrel/lockup design. Your mags will work in it.
Old January 19, 2002, 11:06 PM   #8
Romulus

Sorry, but taking a dremel or like tool to a frame is complete madness to me...unless you have the hands of a Michelangelo or a Bernini, chances are that you'll bugger up the piece and turn it into an unsaleable deformity...

I apologize for being this blunt, but I respectfully suggest you're well on the road toward gun butchery...

For the love of a good firearm, please desist...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano