The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Vireye

Desert Eagle FTE - Advice Before Spending $$$

Hi all,

I bought a Mk. I Desert Eagle in .357 several months back. It's been a real hoot to shoot, but I'm having some FTE issues.

I know the general answer to FTE is "ammo isn't powerful enough" but I don't believe that's the case here. The extractor isn't grabbing the case AT ALL on the fired round. It's firing, pistol cycles, and the new round gets stripped from the magazine and ends up nose-to-primer with the previously fired round. This occurs every 7-14 rounds.

My instinct is that the extractor simply needs a new spring. Heck I'm sure the pistol could use all new springs...it's a very early production pistol (30 years old) and I have NO idea the last time anything was replaced on it. Only this is before I drop the $50 on a spring kit I wanted some opinions on whether there could be another issue. All the FTE issues I've read about tend to be from the slide not cycling fully, which isn't the issue here, since the slide is cycling completely, new round is being chambered, it's just that the extractor isn't pulling the expended round out of the chamber AT ALL.

Ammo is 158gr American Eagle JSP 157 Magnum
Old July 6, 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
SpareMag

Have you contacted Desert Eagle customer support?

I don't know about DE, but Sig offers a refurb service which is a great value for older guns. Maybe DE has the same service?
Old July 6, 2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Vireye

It's been a bit hit-or-miss with them in regards to response. I sent them my serial# and asked about its history and got a reply within hours. But then I sent a technical question about the gas piston and never heard back (got my answer from other DE owners though).

The only "Refurb" I've seen mentioned on their part is the spring tune-up kit. This was DEFINITELY somebody's safe queen...she's in immaculate shape for her age with a very early Israeli-made serial #, and all the extras you could spring for at the time (i.e. the millet sights). I have a feeling that honestly these springs are probably years old. Not 30 years, shoots a bit too well for that, but definitely not brand-new, and MRI recommends replacing them every couple years or 5,000 rounds.

I went ahead and bought the spring kit anyway. I figured it needs them regardless, and with any luck it'll fix the problem, but I'd still like to hear thoughts/opinions. I new the .357 was finicky going in, and of course have the one problem I HAVEN'T seen any complaints about!
Old July 7, 2014, 10:04 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The extractor (and its channel in the bolt) are clean? Hook not chipped/broken? In other words, nothing noticeably wrong or broken?

Then its either the spring, or possibly the brass. (Hope you aren't using Blazer aluminium cases). And you are shooting jacketed bullets only, right?

It is remotely possible that your brass is the culprit, if some of it is "softer" than usual, this could lead to extraction issues, but the most likely cause is a weakened extractor spring.

I've got a 34 year old .44, still on all the original springs, and it functions well. (it doesn't get shot that much)

If the bulk of a particular load runs ok, and you get the FTE once in a while, its probably not the ammo. Ah, just saw the ammo, and I just don't know. American Eagle is usually ok stuff, but the Desert Eagles are a law unto themselves about what they like to run on. My guess would be (after ensuring its not debris or crud causing the problem) the spring.
Old July 7, 2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Vireye

Nothing chipped or broken that I can see. If the springs fail to fix the issue than a new bolt in its entirety may be in order. It is incredibly inconsistent, which is why I initially though maybe the spring was just showing it's age. My first range trip it was every 2-3 magazines I would have one FTE, but this last trip on Saturday it was far more frequent (frustratingly so). All in all I knew these beasts made their own rules and did their own thing, so this wasn't totally unexpected. If I can fix it with the springs or even the bolt I'll consider myself lucky compared to many of the reviews I've read!
Old July 8, 2014, 03:00 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention "worn" along with chipped/broken, but if it looks good, it probably is. If the exractor isn't worn, broken, etc and is slipping off the rims, its probably spring tension.

If new springs don't fix it, I think I'd replace the extractor before I went for a new bolt. But I have no way of knowing what shape yours is in.

You can try a temporary fix, by putting a small shim underneath the extractor spring, to increase tension. That might cure the problem, temporarily. If it does, you know the real fix is a replacement spring.

Good luck!

Add: just re-read your last post and with increasing frequency and no damage to the extractor hook, that says "failing spring" to me. I could be wrong, I sometimes am, but the spring is cheap (relatively) and the best place to start.
Old July 15, 2014, 11:05 PM   #7
NorwegianShooter

44 AMP said it...

Considering there is no cycling issues, the main recoil spring is probably fine.

1. Dismantle the bolt completely and clean it. Test fire.

2. Replace the extractor spring. Test fire.

3. Replace the extractor itself. Test fire.

Hopefully you will have a nice Mk1 after bullet point nr 2.

By the way...

I own a Israeli Mk19, does anyone have experience with it compared to the MRI ones?

The feed ramp and "throat" of the chamber seems much less polished for reliable feeding. I own an MRI 10 inch barrel and they are very different and the MRI feeds flawlessly, but the IWI sometimes "catch" on the cartridge rim causing FTF.

That being said, why the hell did MRI opt for the non-serrated front sight which reflects sunlight like an effin mirror.. :/