The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 22, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
xf9218

Investarm sights

Recently purchased a 50 & 58 cal B/P rifles. Ive noticed the 50 cal rear leaf sight is sloppy, side to side movement.I want these to remain open sights. My question is what aftermarket sights can the 50 be converted to. If it works well Imay convert the 58. Both are Investarms rifles, with 29 inch barrels.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
chickenmcnasty

I'm very curious about the same thing. I believe Williams fire sights will fit my cabelas investarms hawken, but it appears they are no longer offered. Any thoughts?
Old September 27, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3
MJN77

Have you tried lightly hammering down the edges of the dovetail cut on the barrel and then re installing the sight? I've had to do this on a few rifles. I have a Lyman (Investarms) great plains rifle that I filed the dovetails into a standard 3/8.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
chickenmcnasty

The slop in the sight comes from where the windage adjustment is. It's a little screw that adjusts it horizontally but it doesn't lock up tight. The sight itself is just very cheaply made and the sight picture also leaves a lot to be desired. Might would love to find a replacement that will fit. I will try to post a picture later if it might help
Old September 27, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
chickenmcnasty

Old September 27, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Hawg

Investarm Hawken sights are not dovetailed, they're installed with screws. Finding something that will match the Italian screw holes may be a problem.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Old Stony

I think I'd be tempted to try one of the newer TC rear sights. I've done that before with only a little alteration to the base to accommodate a little difference in hole spacing...never on an Investarms, but on another model. There are always TC sights for sale on places like ebay.
Old September 27, 2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Just a rudimentary adjustable sight. Nothing more.
My T/Cs all have some sloppiness to their rear sights. I know my original barrel sights are not near target quality. So I just make due. My suggestion. You might consider asking a B/P business retailer for their opinion concerning your rifles sights and if there are better original equipment (like) available.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162
Old September 28, 2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Pahoo

Can be fixed

xf9218
Understand that I have not worked on one of these for some time. If the rear sight is similar to the TC's, then the base is secured by two machine screws. I think you are talking about a loose top blade. I know that Williams made one for the octagon and round. However, you are getting further away from, "in the spirit". As far as switching barrels, you might find that the flats on the .58 are wider, than the .50 as this is quite a jump. There are ways to tighten up that top blade and I have done so on a TC. Another neat option, would be to go to a tang sight. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 28, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10
chickenmcnasty

I would love to keep it "in the spirit" but I really just need a sight that is reliable. I would hate going to a fire sight, but I definitely need to figure something out. The tc might be the best option
Old October 3, 2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Old Stony

Your rear sight looks a lot like the older version of the TC model. The newer TC sights seem a lot better made to me, with closer tolerances.