The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
BuckRub

pistol feels good to me

I hear this quite a bit, this pistol feels good in my hand and that one does'nt! Take a game conesole say X-box and play it for 6 months. That console will feel great after you get use to it. Now change to playstation. It will feel like crap until you get use to it and say after 1-2 months now it will feel like an extension of your hand- It now feels great. Same things with guns. Whatever you have or get just shoot it shoot it some more and some more and you will have the perfect feeling gun. Just get use to what you have , let it feel great and be proficient with it. Just my 2 cents! Whats your take on this?
Old January 30, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
sigcurious

I like my glock, I shoot it frequently, it still feels no better in my hand. It's tolerable but it will never feel perfect. I'd imagine there are other designs which I'd feel similar about.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
m.p.driver

I have Glocks and they just don't feel right.Polish p64 slams back into your thumb,and something just isn't kosher.CZ52 is missing just a little of something.A Browning HP or a Walther pp are made in heaven to fit all hands.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
alex0535

I did not like how my Taurus Tracker .17 HMR felt in my hands with the stock ribber grips that came on it. Replaced with Hougue Grips and it feels a lot more right. The ribber grip was just too small and uncomfortable.

One think I have to consider for my hands is that I shoot guns left handed, so for a semi-automatic, if it isn't ambidextrous it gets a lot less consideration.

If you have big hands, a small handgun might not feel right. If you have small hands, a big handgun might not feel right. I think that if you find a gun that you can pick up having never fired it and it just feels "right" to you, it will likely only feel better after a good bit of use. A gun that doesn't feel right, you may or may get used to.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:52 PM   #5
dstryr

I fondled close to 20 semi-autos and kept coming back to the FNP, of which I now have 2. If it don't fit, it won't ever fit. $.02

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old January 30, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
DFrame

I agree. I generally shoot revolvers, and dispise how the glock feels and fits my hand. Probably the worst ergonomics I've ever seen in a pistol. Shoot what you like. Who cares what other people like.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub
Just my 2 cents! Whats your take on this?
I disagree.

Some firearms are just naturally more ergonomic than others. Shooting something that fits your hand like a chunk of badly cut 2x4 will never make it feel as natural and comfortable as, for example, a 1911.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
Whatever you have or get just shoot it shoot it some more and some more and you will have the perfect feeling gun. Just get use to what you have , let it feel great and be proficient with it. Just my 2 cents!
I disagree. Some guns-be it handguns, rifles or shotguns- will fit an individual's hand(s) better than others and other ones won't; intrinsically so. Adapting to the conformation of a particular firearm is another matter altogether. I have several handguns that were much improved in terms of how it fits and "feels" in my hand by simply changing to grips that fit my hand better than the ones the gun came with.
Shooting any gun, even one that doesn't fit the hand quite right, often enough will allow you to be proficient with it over time. You just have to adapt to its "not right" configuration to accomodate your individual shooting style and method. But it will never be "the perfect feeling gun".

Edit to say that Aguila Blanca beat my disagreement with his disagreement by two minutes. I agree with him.

Last edited by dgludwig; January 30, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:14 PM   #9
shootniron

Quote:
Shooting something that fits your hand like a chunk of badly cut 2x4
Good description and that is the way a Glock and a Sig fit my hand...
Old January 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #10
SIGSHR

I don't care for Glocks,but that is definitely a Minority Viewpoint.I can shoot my 1968 vintage Colt Trooper with 357s all day, but I cannot shoot one of my S&W revolvers with wadcutters using factory grips. Shotgunners are very particular about fit and feel. The S&W M-41 points poorly forme,the High Standards very well. The Colt SAA is noted for its "feel". IMHO fit of ahandgun is important as properly fitting footwear.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
chris in va

Quote:
Just get use to what you have , let it feel great and be proficient with it. Just my 2 cents! Whats your take on this?
Clearly you haven't fired many handguns.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:58 PM   #12
s4s4u

I have handled many semi-auto pistols, some felt better than others, but none feels as at home as a 1911. I love my Ruger single action revolvers, all of which have a Bisley handle, and I'll have it no other way. Adapt to the platform my bootie, get the platform that feels right and you will shoot better because of it.

I don't know an XBox form a Playstation from an Atari so can't help with that one.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:07 PM   #13
JayCee

I think a Glock feels better in the hand than the "plowhandle" grip of a Colt Single Action Army.

But I'd rather shoot a Colt Single Action Army...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old January 30, 2013, 09:33 PM   #14
OkieCruffler

Nope, not at all. I tried to learn to like the Glock, twice. Never could get to the point I could say I liked the angle. Same with the Ruger MKII. Most J-frames leap to my hand like they were a sixth finger, always have. Just rebought a Taurus PT145, no other gun I've held has fit my hand so well. Why try to get used to a gun when there are so many varieties out there.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:33 PM   #15
BuckRub

Ive prob shot just as many handguns as most on here. Shot many different duty guns, shot many of different ones at the FBI range north of Houston and shot many, many , many growing up and through the years as and avid gun enthusiast. Thats what makes me come to full circle. This isnt a Glocks feel this way or this feels this way. I been concentrating on my Glock gen 4 22 for the past year and a half and now I believe this way, you may or may not. I quit shooting all my rest. Yes I have many put away in the safe and yes I have 1911's too but like I said I have been only shooting this gun and shoot it tons and now I feel different on this. Again maybe just me.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:02 AM   #16
Bill DeShivs

Most neophyte shooters have no idea what a particular gun should feel like. Because it "feels good in their hand" does not really mean much (but it sells a lot of guns.) There is a need for ergonomics, but shooters need to be able to adapt to the gun.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:45 AM   #17
RadioFlyer8

This saying comes along a lot with new people asking, "What gun should I get?" Well, some guns feel more comfortable in your hand than others and that's the best way to tell a new shooter how to pick out their first gun.

Personally, I hate Glocks, they don't feel good in my hand so I won't own one. I do think that if a Glock feels the best in your hand, then that's what you should get.

I picked up a CZ 75 and instantly knew I had to have it. I also picked up a Kahr CW9 for my first gun because I liked how it felt initially. I ended up deciding I wanted something else a year down the road and got a K9 instead, based on things I found I liked and disliked about the CW9. Your opinions will change but that initial feel is something you can't fight off when looking for a new firearm.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:35 AM   #18
plateshooter

I like the military approach. Here is you issued weapon. This is what you have to fight with. Learn it.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:54 AM   #19
craZivn

I have an Xbox that I've owned and played for several years. But the controller is still not as intuitive as my friend's PS3 controllers that I use only a few times a year.

So I respectfully disagree with the OP.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:57 AM   #20
Magnum Wheel Man

I guess I feel you could get used to anything, if you were forced to use it enough... however, if you own more than one gun, & one feels great in your hand, & one feels "un-natural" you're likely to never shoot the ill fitting gun enough for it to feel natural... you'll just take the one that fits better to do the bulk of your shooting...

however if you were limited to one gun, & forced to use it, you may find you conform to the gun & get "used to it" though it may never perform at the same level as if you started with a nice fitting gun & were "forced to use it"
Old January 31, 2013, 09:03 AM   #21
Revolver1

That's the stupidest philosophy on buying a handgun I ever heard! Sounds like you got stuck with something you're trying to make work.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #22
L_Killkenny

I can see the point of the OP but guns are not game controllers. Big hands, small hands, long fingers and short. Guns are more like gloves, one size does not fit all and there is nothing you can do to fix a poor fit. And fit/feel doesn't get into pointability which even for those that use sights exclusively makes a difference IMO.

Overall if you start with a gun that fits and feels well you are light years ahead of the game.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:55 PM   #23
dgludwig

Quote:
I guess I feel you could get used to anything, if you were forced to use it enough...
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. To put it another way, if you pound a square peg into a round hole long enough and hard enough, eventually it will "fit". The better option is to buy a round peg in the first place.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Nathan

Yes and no.

Most guns fit my hand well enough to be proficient. Some guns like my XD, 1911's and round butt j frame are just a bit better. None are perfect. All required extensive grip and trigger time.

Yes, I am experienced and have some trigger time.

I have only felt a few guns I don't like. Most are cheap rubber revolver grips or older automatics.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:52 PM   #25
MLeake

OP, due to the length of my fingers (they are long, I take L/XL gloves) and the shape of my natural grip vs the shape of the Glock trigger guard, my middle finger took a beating when shooting my G21 or G30s. I had a similar problem with the trigger guard of my .44 Ruger SBH. I could shoot all of them well enough, but they hurt, as in actually bruised the second knuckle of my middle finger.

So, I have to disagree with your premise. Some guns are just not going to feel good.

At the other extreme, I have a female PD detective friend who is a tough little firecracker type. Fitness buff, and a martial arts instructor. She's tough, but she is small and has small hands. She can't get a decent grip on her department's issued G22 and G27, so she is allowed to carry a Beretta .380, which she can actually grip while getting her trigger finger into proper position.

Another friend of mine had an epiphany about finding a gun that fits her hand properly, based on her experience with her first motorcycle. She and her husband had picked a bike based on price, brand reputation, mpg, handling... but she had problems with dropping the bike when stopped. Quite frankly, the frame and seat were too tall for her, so she could never get the balls of both feet comfortably on the ground. She traded for a Honda Shadow, with a seat several inches lower, and the problem went away since she can firmly plant her feet when stopped on the new bike.

She then applied that concept to issues she was having with her Beretta 92 (which she and her husband had picked out, too), and is now looking for a J-frame or possibly a snubby K-frame, since she knows from shooting mine that she can get a proper grip on both of those.

Grip size, shape, length; trigger reach; those are going to be factors that practice may never really overcome.