The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 2, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
LeadZinger

Bullet puller??

I just hate to admit to making a mistake.

Managed to accumulate a couple of dozen rounds of 'mistakes' while reloading. These rounds are just not coming apart with my inertia hammer type puller so I've decided I need a bullet puller that I can use with my press. Everyone I've seen on my internet searches always seems to have a disclaimer "do not use with lead bullets". Suspect like most of you, I ONLY RELOAD WITH LEAD so there is a frustration level building here.

What bullet pullers do you use with your presses?? Who would be the best supplier?

Asking these questions does not imply that anyone, other than myself, makes mistakes when reloading.

Thanks for your help.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
noelf2

Yeah it won't work well with lead. Will really deform the bullet. Best bet is use the inertia puller and clobber that bad boy like you mean it. It'll come out.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
LeadZinger

Noelf2,

The hammer just does not work. I've split a 2x6x8" oak plank banging on it with no other results. Besides, the bills for Excedrin are piling up, the wife complains about the noise, as does the dog. The cat has not expressed an opinon.

Deforming the lead bullet is not a problem, the object is to save the case, the powder when present and to just safely dispose of these rounds. The lead I can give to someone who casts which I don't.

So if deformation is acceptable what press mounted puller is best for the job?
Old July 2, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
maillemaker

I don't know why your inertia puller is not working for you.

Also, even when pulling with my inertia puller, the bullet is still somewhat deformed from being pushed into the case mouth and crimped. I don't re-use pulled bullets - I throw them back in the melt pot.

Steve
Old July 2, 2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

I use a Hornady cam lock bullet puller.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104635080

You have to order specific collets for it depending on size bullets being pulled:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104635080

It works just fine with lead bullets.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 2, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
noelf2

Quote:
The hammer just does not work. I've split a 2x6x8" oak plank banging on it with no other results.
Wow, that's one heck of a crimp you must be using. I have a Hornady cam lock puller too, but I've only used it with jacketed bullets and it scars the heck out of them.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
wogpotter

Try the inertia puller one more time, but on stone or concrete. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes. Wood even well dried wood has "give" because of its structure. Rock or concrete has no give at all.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
MarcB

If none of the above works use a visegrip or channel lock pliers put the case in the press and position the bullet above the press and grip the bullet with the pliers and pull them out by pushing back on the handle. It will ruin the bullet but you'll get it out. I admit I have had to do it this way more than once on my 50-140 Sharps with a heavy crimp.
Old July 2, 2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Hellgate

Ditto what Wogpotter said. Smack that mutha on the concrete floor (that's what I do when I rarely, almost NEVER, EVER make a mistake). In fact, it's been so long since I ever made a mistake that had Wogpotter not mentioned it, I mighta even forgot how to use that inertia bullet puller or whatever that thingy I always keep within reach is called. It's been soooooo long......
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 3, 2013, 09:24 AM   #10
maillemaker

I have an anvil in my workshop and I use that.

Now I don't hit very hard like pounding a nail, I more let the hammer bounce off of the anvil surface. But it only takes about 3-4 hits.

Steve
Old July 3, 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
g.willikers

Another vote for hitting your inertia puller on something really solid.
I use my 5" vise.
Never needed more than two on any handgun round.
And use really long strokes, like throwing a ball.
None of those wimpie, woosie hits.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Old Stony

If I am not saving the bullets, I just remove the die from the press and fun the shell up until the bullet clears the top. I use a long pair of wire cutters to hold on to the bullet while I back the case off of it. It works like a champ that way