The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 16, 2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Back to the range today....

Took the Trapdoor with the corrected front sight. POI is much closer now.

The rifle shot real well. Almost all inside two inches at forty yards. I am still getting used to it. I am also very happy with my loads for the rifle. Very consistent.

More than I can say for the .357s I loaded. These round are so off I can hear the difference. I couldn't hit anything with them. I think I may be having charge consistency problems. These rounds were loaded with a flask and now I have that Redding loader so I hope to get better consistency in the next batch.

Took the Henry Big Boy out for the first time. After shooting the trapdoor with 70 grains of 777, the .357 Henry which is actually heavier than the trapdoor is like a popgun. I do like it though. Action is smooth, Had to tap the front sight a bit to get POI closer. About six inches left at 40 yards. The front sight was obviously installed incorrectly. Perhaps they do that so that the shooter will be compelled to set it to his liking.

Now I am going to go and weigh the rifles to make sure I am telling the truth about the Henry being heavier that the Carbine.
Old June 16, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Weights

Henry - 8 pounds 2 ounces
Trapdoor - 7 pounds 8 ounces.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Hawg

You cant load smokeless with a flask. A flask will not give consistent charges. It doesn't matter with bp, a few grains difference isn't noticeable. A few grains difference with smokeless could mean surgery.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Old Stony

Don't know which trapdoor you shoot, but I think they all need some front sight attention. I have an original carbine, and I finally made up a brass blade for the front and left it tall like I would a muzzleloader. A trip to the range with a file, and I was in business. I don't shoot it too seriously, just plink for fun, so I normally use a load of 12 gr. of Unique with a 405 grain cast and they are a joy to shoot up to about 75 yards or so. I also use a light load of IMR 3031 with the same bullet and it shoots good too. I have had the original sight in a little plastic bag for many years now, with the thought I might like to put it back to original someday, but I don't know why.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Hawg

Mine shot pretty well with IMR 4350 and a 405 grain bullet(I forget the actual charge) but it shot better with a case full of black. I used the original sights.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hawg and Stoney

Hawg,

I am presently shooting either Pyrodex or Goex or 777 in the cartridges. I don't load smokeless in anything. On the .45-70 I am loading all 70 grains. I don't even remember the charge in the .357. But evidently it doesn't matter because they are completely hosed up. I have about a hundred and fifty rounds left and I may just pull them apart and start from scratch. I am too cheap to just dump the rounds and I really don't want to shoot them.

Hawg and Stoney,

The Trapdoor is an original rifle barrel, cut to carbine size. I dovetailed a sight onto it which I made but it was far too short. I replaced it with a second one, also made in my shop. The second sight was too tall by design so I could file it down. I did a little calculating about how much had to come off. Filed it in the shop before I went to the range. And POI came up enough such that I can bring it in with a file at the range.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Hawg

Sorry Doc, when you said .357 I just assumed smokeless. Mine was an original carbine. Not a good pic but the only one I have.

I have a project rifle somebody started around the turn of the century and never finished. A 45-70 rifle barrel in a 61 Springfield stock. Its got the start of a homemade drum but they busted the side of the stock out is I guess the reason they gave up on it. Also the lock, trigger guard etc are all missing.

Old June 17, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Hawg - that is one mighty fine good looking carbine! I've always admired the lines of 'em. I've never had the time/push/dollars etc. to get a good 45/70 carbine but one like yours would sure be on my bucket list!

Doc - I'm sure enjoying reading about your range time with the rifles - and I'm sure you're having a heck of a good time with it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 17, 2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Hawg

Funny story how I got it bedbug. I went to a gun show maybe 15 years ago. Dude had 500 on it with a busted mainspring. Thing is the owner was gone and had a buddy watching his booth. I tried talking him down but he said I'd have to talk to the owner. So I walked around some more and found a Colt 70 series for 400. I really wanted the trapdoor but only had 400 and change. I figured I would be walking out with the 1911 but hung around anyway. About an hour later the owner came back and I asked would he take 300 for it figuring I could get him down to 400. Well he starts in on I've had this gun for five years and gave 550 for it yada yada yada. If I've heard that spiel once I've heard it 1000 times so I knew I was walking out with the 1911 but it really ticked me off. I looked him dead in the eye and said, I don't care how long you've had it or how much you gave for it. All I wanna know is will you take 300 for it? He took it. I kept it for ten years or so and a dude wanted it bad. He traded a Rossi 92 in 44-40, a custom gunbelt, a 44-40 Cimarron(the one with the stag grips), 250 rounds of loaded ammo and shipped it all in a hard rifle case. I still miss the old girl tho.
Old June 18, 2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

BBB and Hawg

BBB,

I can tell you that I did not enjoy the .357 experience. I really enjoy the process that ends at the range but this time I am really nonplussed.

Agree with you regarding the lines of the trapdoor SRC. I have decided to reduce the barrel length of the other one that I have. That rifle already has a Carbine trigger guard.

Hawg,

That is a good story. I have heard (rather read) some folks who say they are so disgusted with gun shows that they don't go anymore. I personally continue to get to every one I can. I trek in from the last row in the packed parking lot. I have my tent and a box of Cap's Crunch so I can survive the three day wait in the ticket line. I have three flash cards made up; one says "Don't gimme that crap!" one says "I can buy it NEW for that price" and the last one says, "No I don't want a hot dog for seven bucks!" so I don't have to say it anymore. I have a stack of Dollar-off coupons. And I go.

The last two shows I hit, I came home with something I wanted at a price I was happy to pay. I got my first trapdoor at a gun show.

Your story on the Carbine spanned ten years and they appear to have been ten good years. I think if I could find someone to trade a lever gun and a good revolver, I let go of the other Trapdoor I have. I guess I am saying I think you did good with that trade.