The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Justified

TC New Englander Hammer

Hi all,
New to BP shooting. Bought a used TC New Englander 50 cal.. Hammer at half cock hardly moves from its starting position. Full cock is about where half cock should be. I have disassembled and everything looks fine. The parts can only be assembled one way. The only thing I can think of is that the hammer is not the correct one for this rifle. I sure could use a picture of a correct hammer in the fully cocked position with the screw removed so that I can compare to mine.

Oh, by the way, it does fire.

Thanks for any help
Justified
Old June 13, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I had a very similar situation in a revolver

I know that this may be of no help, but I wonder if the sear might be worn or damaged.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Pahoo

SWAG; Hammer is not the problem

Quote:
Oh, by the way, it does fire.

If so, then that indicates that your hammer cup is properly aligned with the nipple. It's always hard to diagnose these over the internet but I'll say that the hammer is probably not the problem. I'd suspect, the tumbler or deeper. You say that you have done some disassembly. does that mean you have pulled the lock and observed the operation? Quite often, the three screws on the bridle, will come loose and make for some strange operations. ....
Quote:
Hammer at half cock hardly moves from its starting position.
Half cock doesn't always mean half travel or positions. It really just means that it is off the nipple face. On these locks, you only have three positions; down/fire, half-cock and full-cock. If you pulled the lock, make sure to realign the trigger slot with the sear.

One current problem that I'm having with a lock is that the full cock notch on the tumbler, is worn. Tumblers are hard to come by and it's very questionable that you will get any support, from TC.

Keep looking and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 13, 2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Hawg

Like was said half cock merely clears the hammer from the nipple. Sounds like everything is working as should.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

I have a T/C NE & yours is the way it comes from TC ; ) PS Great shooting Gun
Y/D
Old June 13, 2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Justified

Half Cocked

YardDog,

"I have a T/C NE & yours is the way it comes from TC"

Shouldn't I be able to place the cap with the hammer in the half cocked position? I can't, and yes it shoots great. 85 grains of 777 and a 370 Maxi dead on at 80 yards.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Pahoo

YARDDOG(1) + 1

Well, YARDDOG(1) has it !!!
I checked mine and half-cock is just off the nipple face and to full-cock the gap is about 3/4". That's just the way it is. ...

Quote:
Shouldn't I be able to place the cap with the hammer in the half cocked position?
I can't on mine but I have a HotShot that closes up the clearance. I always cap on the full-cock position but it's a thought. To carry capped, in the half-cock position, you might have to cap at full let off to down and back up to half. Not the safest way to go. ....

Take care and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 13, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Justified

Thank You All!

Well, that settles it then. I won't sweat it and just have some fun.

Thanks to all.
Justified.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Hawg

I had an Investarms that was the same way. I always capped on full cock and lowered the hammer all the way down and then pulled it back to half cock or more like quarter cock.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:13 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm wondering if the hammer was placed on the tumbler/sear wrong?
Old June 14, 2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

When capping. Dropping its hammer from full cock to just below 1/2 half cock and up a little to catch 1/2 cock is a bit tacky because of limited clearances. But you'll get use to it. Try to remember too make sure your rifle is always pointed in a safe direction when capping it.
So you like your New Englander. Now all you need is its shotgun barrel for them big Tom's you fellows got over there strutting around in the Great Lakes State. Nothing better on the grill than some wild turkey breast. Especially on Fathers Day_

S/S
Old June 14, 2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Pahoo

Only work in one postion

Quote:
I'm wondering if the hammer was placed on the tumbler/sear wrong?
Thankfully, there are only four positions on the Tumbler shaft and right off, you would see a problem. It will only work, in one position. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 14, 2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Hawg

FWIW the Chambers lock on my Hawken is the same way.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:55 AM   #14
B.L.E.

Here's my TC New Englander 12 gauge on half cock

And at full cock

Old June 16, 2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Pahoo

The nature of the beast !!!

Quote:
Here's my TC New Englander 12 gauge on half cock
Consider yourself fortunate as mine doesn't even come up that far but then again, mine is a .50. For as often as I shoot mine, I can live with it ....

Muzzle Control and;
Be safe !!!
Old June 16, 2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Hawg

I don't have a pic but my Pedersoli comes up far enough to cap on half cock.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Quote:
Consider yourself fortunate as mine doesn't even come up that far but then again, mine is a .50. For as often as I shoot mine, I can live with it ....
Are you using the standard nipple used in the TC Hawkens or the short nipples used in the New Englanders. They are both 1/4 X 28 but the short nipple is about .54" overall length, about the same as an empty .22LR case and the long or standard nipple is about 1/10 inch longer.

Old June 18, 2013, 03:48 AM   #18
Old Stony

It appears from your pic that you have the shorter nipple size in your rifle. I have seen a lot of TC's like this over the years, and I think it's pretty common. I wouldn't worry a bit about it as you have plenty of travel to get ignition. As long as your notches are intact and you can't push the hammer off from any of the positions it should be fine. In fact you are probably better off than some of the rifles that have the positions further rearward, as they have a longer fall of the hammer and a resultant longer locktime before ignition. That TC should last you for many years as they are tough guns.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Pahoo

"HotShots" are longer

Quote:
Are you using the standard nipple used in the TC Hawkens or the short nipples used in the New Englanders.
No Sir, as stated before, I switch to the "HotShot" which as you know is longer and tighter. I switched, just prior to our recent class as I "usually" like the performance of the HotShot. Well, this time it didn't make all that much difference so going back to it's standard issued nipple. .....

Whenever I install a new or different nipple, I print it to make sure I'm getting even contact. I know I will get more contact with the standard nipple. ..

Be Safe !!!