The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 12, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Dan_D

Does Anyone have an Uberti Richards II ?

Does anyone have an Uberti Richards type II (transition) cartridge conversion of the 1860 army? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and have been thinking about what caliber might be best. I've heard a few horror stories about Uberti's Richards-Mason's and Open Tops cracking at the forcing cone in the 45LC version. This is due to thinning out the web too much in order to fit a gas-ring. I can't seem to find any definitive answer if the Uberti Richards type II (the one with the 1860 barrel with the loading lever removed and ejector fitted, rather than the S-lug style of the R-M and Open Top) also is fitted with an un-authentic gas ring and thus most likely suffers from the same issue.
Does anyone have one and can confirm one way or the other?
I'd like to stick with 45lc for ammo convenience, but wouldn't mind doing 44 special/colt if 45lc is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old June 12, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Dan

I don't do conversions so I can't provide an answer

but

Is your information about forcing cone failure true of smokeless rounds, and if so, might you be safer using BP cartridge loads?
Old June 13, 2013, 05:16 AM   #3
Bootsie

I used to have an R2 from the first production run for a couple of years in .44 Colt cal. Was shooting only smokeless through her under 200 grainers. Never gave me any trouble.
I used to have other Uberti made conversions of the 1860 Army that I tested with black powder under bullets industrially lubed for smokeless powder.
All these Uberti conversions of the Colt 1860 and 1851 and the Colt Open Top have the gas ring as an integrated element of the cylinder.
While this feature is period correct on the Open Top only it makes the difference when you are shooting black powder cartridges. It prevents your pistol from being disabled by BP residue after a few cylinder loads only as long as you are using a big load of the right lube like vaseline on the arbor.
Long Johns Wolf
Old June 13, 2013, 09:42 AM   #4
LeadZinger

Interesting - I've never heard of the potential problem of cracking on the forcing cone of Uberti's conversions. You do learn things on this forum.

I have the Uberti R-M conversion in both the '51 Navy and the '60 Army. With the Army I shoot .44 Colt, my choice as this would be the more period correct caliber. I shoot, and reload, only BP so can not speak to smokeless ammo. The .44 Colt is a great round but somewhat difficult to find, even in the best of times, at least here abouts. Reloading is easy, but adds to initial cost of the sport, once you accumulate the components it is all clear sailing with .44 brass the hardest to find. If you reload, and want to go the .44 Colt route I can point you in the direction of dies and component suppliers.

Good shooting.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Hawg

I've heard of originals cracking but can't remember hearing about a Uberti doing it.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Bootsie

This cracking issue was discussed over at Cas-City based on evidence ca. 2 years ago regarding Uberti 1860 Conversions or Open Tops in .45 Colt caliber.
Long Johns Wolf
Old June 13, 2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Hawg

Thanks LJW.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #8
newfrontier45

Mine has been excellent but it is in the only chambering I deem appropriate for these guns, .44Colt. Reloading is no different than .44Spl/Mag, except that some seating dies may have to be shortened. Use a .30-30 shellholder.

There have been reports of forcing cones cracking in the .45's. Apparently Uberti enlarged the design enough to accommodate the cartridge (not enough room in the originals) but the problem still cropped up.
Old June 24, 2013, 01:39 AM   #9
Bill Akins

Don't have an Uberti Richards II, but I do have a reproduction copy of a Shakespeare's Richard III. It was reputedly used to kill all the lawyers.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

(yes I know that line wasn't in Richard the 3rd, same "manufacturer" though).

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 27, 2013 at 07:23 PM.