The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
chaz12

American Pioneer powder

I have not been able to find any pyrodex pistol powder locally, just like everthing else you can't get,. So I got a lb of this American Pioneer FFFG equivalent.

I used some the other day and it seemed to shoot just as well as BP or pyrodex. There is less fouling and residue than with pyrodex, way less than BP. It seems to make more smoke than pyrodex though, more like BP in that respect. My only complaint really is the grain size, which is basically some fairly large flakes. I have never used 2F powders, but I imagine this powder would be similar to something like 2F. It makes it a little harder to pour for me. I would also say that you are using a slightly smaller load of powder for the same measured volume because there will be more air space between the grains.

Chaz
Old June 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

chaz - I don't have any experience with this powder - is it a true "black powder" or a substitute? Thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 10, 2013, 05:34 PM   #3
wap41

APP

All I shoot in my c&b revolvers is american pioneer powder.There is practically no fouling,I can shoot all I want and not have to stop and clean the gun to be able to continue shooting.When I'm done a little warm water cleans it.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Pahoo

Not true BP

Quote:
I don't have any experience with this powder - is it a true "black powder" or a substitute? Thanks.
I suppose that the only real BP replacement is Pyrodex. Both BP and Pyrodex, are sulfur based propellants. American Pioneer, is just another replacement propellant in a long string or generation, that is not Sulfur based. There have been many, like Black-mag, Clean-shot, Clear-Shot, 777 and so on. Supposedly, two of the latest and greatest are Black-horn 209 and now, White-hots ....

I shoot American Pioneer FFFG in my ROA, .45. .36 and .32 SideLocks.

Be Safe !!!