The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 8, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Sunklands

Traditions mountaineer .50

Im new to this forum and new to blackpowder rifles. I just had given to me a traditions mountaineer .50. It was kinda rough but I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. It has a 1 /48 twist and probably needs a new nipple. What's the best powder and how many grains, best primer, and best bullet for this gun for whitetail deer at a maximum 100yds?
Old June 9, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Sunklands

Welcome to the forum.

Having said that, I must tell you I am no hunter. But there are plenty of folks here who are very seriously into it.

You'll get some good info.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Hawg

You will have to work up a load for it. 70-100 grains of powder with a patched .490 round ball or around 60-90 grains of powder for a conical. Real black is best but if that isn't available Pyrodex is a good substitute. When I had my .50 I used 90 grains of Pyrodex and a maxi ball or a patched round ball. The PRB was more accurate but the conical has more power.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Sunklands

Pyrodex loose powder or the pellets? Can the "hawken style" muzzleloaders shoot the pellets and if so will two 50 grain pellets work with a maxi ball? Whats the best primer to use?
Old June 10, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5
Hawg

Loose powder is best with #11 caps. I like CCI.
Old June 10, 2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

As I've researched this topic a little on the Web. I fine there is no such rifle as a Traditions mountaineer .50 cal. But there is indeed a Knight Mountaineer rifle. I would suggest OP you check your rifles barrel logo for its correct description. Than make corrections to your thread here. As there is a big difference between what you say (#4 thread) verses a Knight designed model.

S/S

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; June 10, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Sunklands

I couldn't find any specific info on the gun either, but it says" traditions mountaineer .50" on the barrel. What's the years of production of this model?
Old June 11, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Perhaps this way would be a good way to start._
Is it a bolt action looking style?
Or a side hammer looking style of rifle? (like a hawken)

S/S
Old June 11, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
orangello

Does it look like this one?

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=6750524

or this other one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=346168705
Old June 12, 2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Sunklands

Mine is a hawken style
Old June 12, 2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well than Sir. You must have a discontinued Traditions model. Since you say its a 50 Cal. I would suggest you look to Traditions web sight for a near identical currently made rifle and download its owners manual. All the information you've asked for on this thread should be found in that owners manual. Since you mentioned it came to you in kind of ruff shape. I have no idea what its current condition is. Thus I'm hesitant to post a specific powder charge. As far as what projectile you can shoot out of it. That depends on how deep your pocket are concerning costs. You say its a 1-48 and if ?__ its barrel is in reasonably good shape. It will indeed shoot just about anything reasonably well you manage to push down its tube. You get that rifle in {good safe shoot-able condition.} I know you'll have fun with it. But for the time being. See about getting that owners manual first._

S/S
Old June 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Jimbo-Indy

As a point of reference: I have a Traditions "Deer Stalker" in 50 cal. flintlock (Hawken Style)and a Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 cal. percussion. Both shoot very well with .490 round ball, .015 cloth patch and 60 gn. of Goex 3F (real black powder). The manuals I have agree that 90 gn of 3F is the top limit with the round ball. Never tried Pyrodex as my club is traditional, real black powder, patched ball and designs that are pre 1840. Note: the 60 gn load is my favorite for target work, I don't hunt.
Welcome to the other side. Have fun.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Sunklands

As far as the amount of use this rifle has exspierianced, I couldn't tell you, but it was free of any powder and lead residue. It had some rust in the barrel and some slight cavitation, but I don't know how much is to much. I spent an hour cleaning it,(as shown on you tube) until it was rust free and shiny.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Sunklands

It probably needs a new nipple, because the hole on the bottom side of it was covered in rust.
Old June 12, 2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
It probably needs a new nipple, because the hole on the bottom side of it was covered in rust.
A good cleaning will take care of that and a cap should be popped before loading the first load after cleaning anyway.