The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 16, 2013, 12:41 AM   #1
justplainpossum

Would a .22 rifle be a possibility?

I've been told by my neighbor that a .22 lr is a lot of fun and easy to shoot. I have a port in my right shoulder and an injury to my left, so I can't use something that I would have to brace there. Does a .22 have so little kick that I could use it without bringing it into my shoulder? I've never shot a rifle before. I'm happy with my pistols, but this has got my curiosity up. Does this sound like a bad idea? I'd love to hear from anyone, but especially someone who is in a similar situation. Thanks, guys.
Old April 16, 2013, 12:59 AM   #2
bacardisteve

You would most likely be fine with the 22lr. It has about as much recoil as a air rifle. My 4 year old shoots the crap out of his.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:03 AM   #3
JimmyR

First, I would suggest speaking to your PCP/other medical professional who is knowledgeable to your condition. They would be able to possibly give you some more specific info based on your current condition.

That said, I think a reasonable .22 would be fine. I would definitely reccomend a heavier rifle, to absorb more of the recoil. After talking to your MD, I would see if someone has one you can try before buying one, just to make sure your body can handle it.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Husqvarna

A semi would take the almost nonexistant recoil Down egen further,

They do make a pistol of the ruger 1022, maybe an option, shoot it without shouldering but more like a rifle. A bipod for some bench shootin akin to a rifle
Old April 16, 2013, 05:02 AM   #5
rebs

I think you would be fine with a 22. I have a torn rotor cuff that cannot be repaired and I shoot a semi auto 223 rifle with no problems at all. I would advice you get the ok from your Doctor and then choose a semi auto 22, it will have the absolute minimum recoil almost to the point of no recoil.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
mxsailor803

Agree with JimmyR on everything. Better to find out from a MD before you consider buying. Then find someone that has one you can shoot.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:20 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Sorry about the port.

Years ago when I was doing the cancer dance I had them place it in my left shoulder for exactly this reason. I was big into BPCR at the time. As it turned out, I lost so much weight that I could no longer shoot without pain, so I sold all my iron.

Since placing the port on the left is really not an option now, I agree to ask your MD about your plans and verify if your desire for a 22 will interfere with your port.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:25 AM   #8
CajunBass

It seems to me that if you can't put a rifle stock to your shoulder there is no reason to fool with a rifle. It would seem to be that a handgun would be a better choice. Something like a Ruger Charger, or a Thompson Center single shot can deliver near rifle like accuracy in a handgun package.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 16, 2013, 07:25 AM   #9
mk8tim

my marlin model 60 has almost no notceable kick. my friends 8 year old boy has to tuck it under his armpit because it's too long for his reach and he shoots it very well for a little guy. i know nothing of your condition but if anything is going to wor it will be .22 semi. good luck, i hope it works for you.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
L_Killkenny

Recoil isn't an issue with .22lr's MOST OF THE TIME. Not being an MD or having the slightest clue what issues you have I can't make any sort of call. But to effectively fire a .22lr you pretty much have to bring it firmly into your shoulder for accurate fire. I'm sure someone may have success not doing that but it's not right.

If you're wanting something more "rifle-like" than a standard handgun look at the Ruger Chargers. Basically a short barreled 10/22 semi without a shoulder stock. Intended to be used with a scope and rests. Mucho aftermarket support if you want to mod it some (not that it's required).

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruge...w=1024&bih=643
Old April 16, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Agree with the medic evaluation first before you try anything. Padding from a shooting jacket or vest may be all the protection the port needs but I think a single action 22 revolver to start with might be a better option. Good luck with whatever you decide and come back with a follow up report on your shooting and questions you may have.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 16, 2013, 01:04 PM   #12
alex0535

Look into a Henry .22 Mare's Leg, that is definitely a rifle that is not intended to be brought up to the shoulder. This type of rifle will allow you yo use .22 short or LR, .22 short is going to have negligible recoil, LR will probably be just as easy on you. My main concern would be your comfort level in cycling the lever.

I think this option would give you a good option in between a rifle and a handgun.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Wild-Bill

I agree with the Mare's Leg suggestion. Find a LGD that has one to handle and see what you think. Good Luck
Old April 16, 2013, 03:55 PM   #14
GunXpatriot

Agree with an OK from the doctor, even though you'd probably be fine without it, it's better to be cautious.

BacardiSteve is right, but a 1000fps spring air rifle may actually have more recoil than the .22 just because of the nature of the way it is fired. my 800fps .22 air rifle actually has pretty snappy recoil for what it is.

I have a Marlin Model 795, great gun. It's one of the lightest stock .22's on the market and it's still very light, but of course, a gun like the Ruger 10/22 will recoil a little less because of the weight. The recoil of .22's seems to be "pushy" in my experience, so you won't have this snappy recoil that you will have to tense up for after the shot, just a gentle push.

So in closing, yes, I think a .22 would be great. Due to being heavier I may just go 10/22, but I'm sure you wouldn't have problems with any of the other lighter synthetic .22's on the marker i.e. Marlin 795, Remington 597, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, etc.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Erno86

May I suggest buying a heavy 22 target rifle...like an Anschutz, an old Kimber, or a Russian make. Put in in a pedestal rest, along with a rear bag --- and hold the rear of the buttstock --- about 1/4" off your shoulder; as many benchrester's do.

--- George Orwell
Old April 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #16
mr.t7024

Would a .22 rifle be a possibility?

I have had 6 shoulder surgeries ,3 in each shoulder. I to shoot my Mini 14 and my .22 rifles without a problem I have not shot the 12 gauge in over 2 years. Shooting it does catch my attention.Check it out with your Doc. Have fun & choose the Marlin 60!
Old April 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #17
L_Killkenny

Mare's leg? Really? Nothing more than a range toy in intent or application.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:05 PM   #18
justplainpossum

You guys are great! Thank you.
Old April 20, 2013, 12:52 AM   #19
breakingcontact

22 doesn't hardly kick. The heavier stock on it, it will "kick" less.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:21 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

If someone gives you a firm pat on the shoulder is that aproblem? If not you will probably be fine with a 22 as the recoil is less.

No one ever thinks about it, but if you needed to you could add a decent recoil pad. With a heavy semi-auto 22 and a $15 recoil pad installed I can't imagine you would have any trouble if you can fire pistols. In fact, if you are firing centerfire pistols you are probably good to go.

Talk to your doctor, but he may say no simply b/c he has never fired a 22 and doesn't know what the recoil force isn't.
Old April 21, 2013, 02:24 AM   #21
DaveRN

By a "port" I assume you are talking about an implanted IV port. If that is the case, the port should be far enough away to not cause a problem with placing the butt stock up to your shoulder (based on my experience from accessing them for IV infusions in the ER and ICU). This statement is also qualified by assuming that it isn't a brand new port which would still require some healing time before I would risk it. Otherwise, the recoil from a 22lr should not cause any problems with it, as ports are usually pretty tough and allow for all kinds of activities. If still worried, talk with the doc.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:38 AM   #22
Scottish Highlander

He could always get a .17 lol....there just as much fun . Does a .22 or a .17 really have recoil at all. When I've fired them I just don't notice anything at all or is that because I'm concentrating on my fundamentals !!

Take a look at 3 min 40 seconds in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYXa0ZJ91Q.
There is a tiny wee recoil but hardly anything. Your clothes would soak that up easy.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #23
natman

A 22LR in a normal weight rifle doesn't "kick". "Twitch" would be more like it. Unless your medical condition prohibits the lightest touch, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:01 AM   #24
cheezhed

Perhaps you could borrow one to see if you can shoot it comfortably maybe even try more than one.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:07 AM   #25
Alabama Shooter

I can hold on to a .22 semi with my pinky and the gun won't move from the recoil.