The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2006, 07:35 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

Here in western South Dakota, ranchers often lease hunting rights to eastern groups. Might be golfing buddies from Ohio who are Dentists, Businessmen, and such. A good ranch for both antelope and mule deer might go for as high as $10,000. Probably a bargain compared to Texas but way out of my league.

Daily tresspass fees are common. $100. is the going rate for pheasants but mule deer hunters will pay double or triple this figure.

Still plenty of public lands in the western states for me and you. No fees for public lands!

Jack
Old November 12, 2006, 10:05 AM   #27
Eghad

My pard has already been hunting there. He killed himself about a 80lb hog, he said he enjoyed it. This will be his second hunt. a small hog would suit me fine as I dont have that much freezer space. We went out the other day and mounted and sighted in a .243 for his son to go on the next hunt.

NRA Life Member
Old November 12, 2006, 12:56 PM   #28
rem33

Been hunting free for almost half a century now and doubt I would start paying now.
Hunting is fun to me, my folks on their small fixed income that meat helps with the grocery bill, but basically it is a form of entertainment to 99% of us even though most of us enjoy the meat.

I completely understand paying a few bucks to have some land to hunt on within reason. I have been surprised at the amount of you guys that have to pay to do what you love doing.

Some of it isn't really hunting in my eyes.

Guy in the hills 50 or so miles from here will let ya shoot a nice high scoring bull elk behind a fence for 13 or 14 grand but how could you be proud of a animal killed like that? For that matter, to me if you go to someplace have the guide take you to the animal, point it out to you, gut it for ya, skin it, pack it out for you, and sometimes you don't even eat it? How can you even say you are a hunter? Your not, you just went there and killed the darn thing. Big difference in hunting something or having it pointed out to you and shooting it. I just don't get it I and guess I never will understand that kinda stuff. Kinda like gun control to me I hear and read about it but don't quite understand thinking such as that.

I have shot dozens of deer several elk, couple of antelope ate every one.
Maybe I am as guilty as any I have shot 100's of varmints and a very large bobcat is on my wall I didn't eat.

Sorry I got off on a rant here but it gets to me paying very much to hunt. I guess have I have ran into to many locked gates and " posted hunting preserve" signs here this year till I am not happy about it. Looked into one outfit , it was $4500 to join and about $150 per pheasant. I know there is plenty cheaper but still a bad precedent.Thank goodness we have such a high percentage of public land here, I wish you guys did too. We need a large organization that thousands of hunters can belong to that with small fees each can have the buying power to acquire large areas of hunting for the average Joe.
Old November 12, 2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Capp35

PM me the info on this place.
Trying to get a group of friends together for a hog hunt after deer season.
Old November 12, 2006, 01:20 PM   #30
Eghad

Quote:
to me if you go to someplace have the guide take you to the animal, point it out to you, gut it for ya, skin it, pack it out for you, and sometimes you don't even eat it? How can you even say you are a hunter? Your not, you just went there and killed the darn thing.
All those African Hunters should be ashamed I guess

I don't hunt anymore because I was raised to eat what I kill. The exception being varmints that are nuisance to farmers and ranchers. The economics of killing a deer make it cheaper to go buy meat at the store. I plan to go on a guided hunt for hogs and kill one. I also plan to pay the guide $20.00 to clean and dress him and take the meat home to eat it. So I guess I will enjoy my non hunt...lol

NRA Life Member
Old November 12, 2006, 11:00 PM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What a hunting guide basically does, for the majority of such hunts, is save the hunter the months or years of learning a particular area such that game can be found.

Nobody was born an expert anything: Doctor, airplane pilot, outdoorsman. Always keep that in mind when talking about newbies at any endeavor.

Art
Old November 13, 2006, 10:08 AM   #32
rem33

I've been thinking about the way my earlier post sounds and I do believe it to be far to vicious toward guided hunting. It in no way was meant toward new hunters, guys that can only get away to someplace for a few days, or overseas. It is the so called " canned " hunts or perhaps a few I have seen on video, or animals raised for the purpose of big racks to shoot. Where no hunting is really involved,the person just shoots the animal without any other involvment. Guided hunts can and do involve a lot of effort, with plenty of hunting. I sometimes fall short in my writing skills/ explanations and hope I have not risen the ire of fellow hunters.
Old November 13, 2006, 08:04 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No biggie. None of us here condone canned hunts. The main thing is to not let new folks here confuse guided hunts with canned hunts.

Art