The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 24, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Liam38

Hammer rubbing against fame

I have an 1851 navy made by uberti and all the parts of the action work just the hammer keeps rubbing against the frame. There is no visible burr on either the hammer or frame and Igrinded some material off the hammer which served as a temporary fix. But this problem keeps coming back and im not sure if it is a problem with the hammer or frame, or if theres something in the action forcing the hammer against the frame. And I dont want to keep grinding down the hammer to the point that I have to buy and fitt a new one, so im looking for some suggestions. Responses are appreciated and thank you.
Old June 24, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Photos would be helpful

Did you buy the pistol new or used?

Did the problem just come up recently?
Old June 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #3
mykeal

The force operating the hammer is derived from the mainspring. It seems to me that either...

1) the mainspring isn't installed correctly - its leaning to one side or twisted, or

2) the interface joint between the mainspring and the hammer is worn, or the roller is frozen, or

3) the hammer screw (the screw through the frame about which the hammer rotates) is worn or too small so that the hammer 'wobbles' like it's loose.
Old June 24, 2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

A lot of times, sharp edges on the frame hammer channel cause the rub marks. Using a stone to round over the edges of the frame at the hammer channel will eliminate the rub marks. Pettifogger covers this in his tune-up pdfs.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 24, 2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Liam38

Thanks for the responses, and to answer the first responders question, i bought this pistol new.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hmmmm....

If it is not out of warrantee, take it back. It ain't right.
Old June 24, 2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Liam38

I dont think taking it back is much of an option. I ordered it on dixie gun works a year ago.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Smokin'Joe

Shim it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449080
Old June 24, 2013, 09:18 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd shim it too. It's better than filing the hammer.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Hellgate

You can buy all kinds of metric and standard (SAE?) shims from McMaster Carr. I've seen shim stock for every imaginable thickness and material (stainless steel etc.) both washers and flat shim stock.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=nc9kh7
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 25, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Igrinded some material off the hammer which served as a temporary fix. But this problem keeps coming back And I dont want to keep grinding down the hammer to the point that I have to buy and fitt a new one,
I think you have already done so. A little stoning goes a long way but grinding almost always results in a ruined part.
Old June 25, 2013, 03:00 PM   #12
troutcreek

Install a new bearing surface

My take is similar to mykeal’s response. Due to manufacturing tolerance the main spring can and will push the hammer to one side or the other. When you combine this with a sloppy pivot hole in the hammer it causes problems. Shimming will work but in the past I’ve had pretty good luck by installing a bronze or oilite bearing in the hammer that is reamed to size. When there is not excessive play in the hammer it can only track true and won’t rub. This is a lot of trouble but it makes for a very smooth action.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Beagle333

We need some pictures. I've had several that rubbed, but it was fixed each time by taking it apart, sanding all surfaces smooth and reassembling with attention to squareness and fit. If it's rubbing hard enough that the aforementioned doesn't fix it...... we need to be able to see where the slop is coming from.
Have a Colt and a smile.