The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 14, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1
NateKirk

State land in michigan

Hey everyone. I was wondering if it is legal to do any plinking on state land (specifically Pontiac lake rec area) with a bp revolver. I've read many contradictory statements on the subject and am hoping you can help.

BTY it has a Kirst conversion if that makes any difference

Thanks

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old June 15, 2013, 03:05 AM   #2
ChaperallCat

i believe youll have to talk to the dnr warden for that particular area in order to get a clear and concise answer on your question. to many rules can be applied to the situation.
wouldnt it suck to be arrested and ticketed for "taking game out of season' just because you shot at a stump in summer time?
Old June 15, 2013, 05:07 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

If your gun has the Kirst cartridge cylinder on it, it is no longer a cap 'n ball revolver but a modern revolver. Rules to modern guns apply.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:50 AM   #4
mykeal

With respect to Michigan specifically, it matters not whether the gun is a modern cartridge gun, a converted c&b revolver or a single shot black powder gun; for the purposes of your question they are considered the same.

In general the answer to your question is yes, it's legal to shoot on public land. However, like any generalization there are lots of exceptions. ChaperallCat's suggestion is a good one. If what you are doing can in any way be considered 'hunting', then issues about having the proper gun for the season and area, as well as a valid hunting license come into play. If you're target shooting, for instance, you better have some very easily identifiable targets, such as large pieces of paper attached to a backstop with holes in them. Just walking around shooting at plinking targets of opportunity (stumps, trees, bottles, cans, paper cups, etc.) won't cut it; the CO will assume you're really hunting bear with your .31 cal Baby Dragoon, and case law supports him, not you. Real good way to donate $1500 to the local economy.

You also want to be very careful about what's behind your target; 'acres of trees' as a backstop are going to motivate the CO to look for violations because that's not safe shooting; that might have been him walking up to you through the woods behind your target, and he won't be happy. Try to set your targets low and with a hill to backstop the bullets.

Finally, be sure you're nowhere near anyone's built up property. There are minimum distance requirements in Michigan.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

+1 to ChaperallCat and Mykeal - you really need to contact the losest DNR office near you and talk with them first and get a clear answer for the location you are looking at - ask for the DNR LE officer.

There is a shooting range on state land - I believe at the Waterloo area. I've never been there but understand it's a fairly nice place to shoot. Not sure how far it would be from your location.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 15, 2013, 05:34 PM   #6
NateKirk

yeah, there is a range at Pontiac lake too. It's nice, and practically brand new since it was remodeled, but I think it is always fun to shoot at something other than paper targets once in a while. I'll call the DNR and ask

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old June 15, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Mr.Guido

Quote:
I was wondering if it is legal to do any plinking on state land (specifically Pontiac lake rec area) with a bp revolver.

Rule 27(b)
a person shall not engage in target shooting, except on designated shooting ranges.