The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

Stainless Steel and 2nd Gen Percussion Colt's

OK, time to post this request for information again

I am seeking the location of, and any information available on a line of stainless steel percussion Colt revolvers made by Uberti and imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX, Uberti USA, and possibly others in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I have a 1984 price list for Uberti products that lists fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti at that time. Subsequent price lists expanded the line to 16 models by adding 4 ½ inch barreled Pocket Navy and Pocket Police. The complete model list, known so far, is:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy “Sheriff’s Model” Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44 *
1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44
1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½”*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½”
(* - have identified location of examples of these models)

So far, I have two of these revolvers and know of sixteen others in hands of other collectors or BP shooters. Anyone with information concerning Allen Firearms, Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply or any other Uberti Stainless Steel Colt style revolvers is requested to contact [email protected]. I am seeking information as to models, manufacture dates, serial numbers, barrel markings, and any other characteristics as well as any catalog, brochure and original packaging information.

Of course, if anyone has any for sale, I would be interested in that also.

In addition to the above. I'm in the market for 2nd Generation Colt Blackpowder revolvers & accessories.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 29, 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
woodnbow

Fingers, would you look at this link and PM me? As a 2nd Gen Colt guy I'd like your opinion on the transaction is all.
Old June 10, 2013, 03:10 AM   #3
Bill Akins

Fingers, there's a special stainless steel Colt 1860 that was never intended to be sold to the public and was kept at the Colt factory. Thought you'd like to check it out with your interest in stainless 1860 Colts. It's currently for sale at GB.
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 10, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

I've seen it Bill.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce