The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 7, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
jeepstrapped

Can someone explain Schuetzen matches

From what I can gather it is limited to sing-shot rifles. May be .22 rimfire, centerfire, or black powder.

ISSA or ASSRA?

Maybe I am getting old, but the idea of single-shot competition, target shooting, is intriguing. That and I am moving this summer and the local gun club has Schuetzen matches.

Anyone have experience with this?
Recomendations or advice you are willing to impart?

Thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Old_Dog

Yeah, don't miss.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
ligonierbill

I'm certainly not an expert on this, but here's my 2 cents. Schuetzen rifles are highly specialized traditional target rifles. Google it - you can buy one today for a lot of money. Our club holds an annual Schuetzenfest with traditional German events. We shoot .22 standard target rifles and sporting rifles (open sights only) for score at 50 yards. We shoot Scheiben - traditional round wooden targets with a hunting scene. Ten people each get one shot offhand at 25; closest to the bull wins the Scheiben. We have Fogelschiessen - a stylized bird with various appendages. Round robin offhand at 25 to shoot off the crown, wings, etc. A prize for each piece removed. I don't know how your local club does it, and I'm not sure if there is a sanctioning organization. We do get our 50 yard (OK, meter) targets from Germany, and they differ from NRA targets. No x-ring and the tiniest 10-ring you ever saw.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Jimro

Last time I read about schuetzen matches the equipment requirement was "single shot, not bolt action, two piece wood stock" if I remember correctly. So as far as any repro High Wall, falling block, Ruger #1 or #3, H&R Handi Rifle break action, would be acceptable.

A handi rifle in 30-30 topped with a scope would be a cheap way to try out the sport. A Thompson Encore slightly more expensive.

Jimro