The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
rebs

Powder Valley

Has anyone ordered from them ? Are they good to deal with ?
Old December 9, 2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Sparks1957

They are my major source of reloading supplies. Fast, courteous service and shipping/hazmat fees that are reasonable. I've had orders arrive in 4 days.

Great selection as well, and prices are hard to beat especially if you buy in quantity.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
cryogenic419

They are one of the best to deal with. Have ordered numerous times and have never had an issue.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

They are a very good company to buy from. I order fairly large orders at a time to cover the HAS-MAT and shipping charges. Anything over getting 8 pounds of powder or 5k in primers becomes additional savings for me. 10 k in primers and 8 pounds of powder works out as a good match for a couple of loads I like. If I want to add in a pound or two of something else I get additional savings compared to any local purchase.

Recently I made a mistake and ordered not long after the last election. It seems they had a little problem shipping things out from the surge of orders they received. It took a little longer than normal for my order to arrive. Everything was shipped correctly and well packed too. In another 4 years I hope to remember to get my order in around the 1st of October and avoid the rush. At least now I have enough stuff to keep me reloading most if not all winter. I think winter will be starting here soon .
Old December 9, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
anode

I'm new to the forum, I received excellent service from Powder Valley on my first order.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:58 AM   #6
capodastro

just ordered from them, great prices and fast service, took less than a week. on the other hand, wideners took a month, a month for my order to get to me.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Been ordering from them when their name was Dexter Automotive. Now Powder Valley. Say 25-years without a complaint from this end.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:55 PM   #8
tobnpr

SSSSSHHHHH......

(Best around....great CS, prices can't be beat, even with so called "dealer pricing" I have with other sellers...)

My only gripe is their online ordering...no way to set up an account, and keep track of order history like you can with most all other online retailers.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Snobal

Powder Valley is my favorite on-line company for primers and powder.

Been using them for some years and always had great service and quick deliveries.

When I'm needing something from Powder Valley, I call a few friends, get their orders too, and split shipping costs. Keeps my total cost-per-round affordable.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:42 PM   #10
okiefarmer

Gonna pay them a visit come Monday, we live within an hour and a half. Dad and I getting short on primers. PV is out of many flavors of SP , so I am gonna try the TULA this time. Reports even from this site have overall been pretty good.

Gonna stock up on what I can before the new admin and his EOs get carried away.
Old December 9, 2012, 04:07 PM   #11
jepp2

Beyond the obvious of low prices and considerable on hand inventory, some features I really like about PV:

- they will hold in-stock items until the BO items arrive to avoid multiple shipments and HAZMat charges

- they will ship primers and powder together (some other suppliers will or cannot do this)

My experience with them has been excellent.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:03 PM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

I just got some of the Tula primers. I'm not crazy about the packaging. The outside cardboard of the one hundred units should be thicker to not flex as much. That is the only negative I have found so far. The price is really good and they feed through my primer tubes. They seat well and so far go boom every time with pistol loads. I have large, small and small mag primers.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:20 PM   #13
serf 'rett

My non-reloading wife even knows the Powder Valley name due to its frequent appearance on the plastic card statement.

The main problem I’ve had with ordering from them is explaining the order to her!
Old December 10, 2012, 10:06 PM   #14
primerman

I've ordered from them and had the products delivered to my home and I've even shown up at the office door front "after ordering on line the day before" and both were pleasant experiences. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:32 AM   #15
GTOne

These are my go to guys.
I have just about every other supplier bookmarked, and 99% of the time PV is the only supplier that will have everything I want in stock. They might not be the lowest priced but it evens out because I'm not being charged a hazmat fee from two of the other places to get what I need.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:33 AM   #16
hounddawg

they seem to have really fast shipping and reasonable shipping fees also. I ordered 8K primers Sunday morning, it was shipped yesterday and will be here Thursday. Total cost including shipping and hazmat per 1000 primers was $30.10 cents. That's 10 - 15 dollars cheaper than what the local shops charge per K for the same brand
Old December 11, 2012, 01:25 PM   #17
JR_Roosa

I don't know about "really fast," since they take about a week or two to get stuff shipped. They seem to be VERY busy. If you can handle a two week wait, you really can't beat the prices and selection.

Bruno Shooters is close in price and powder variety, but not as big an operation.

-J.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
hounddawg

seriously Roosa? my memory is not all that but I never remember a week or two wait on my past orders I have a package in transit right now that was shipped the first business day after I ordered. I ordered on the weekend and delivery date is Thursday, as far as I know no one ships on Saturday or Sunday or if they do I would not want to pay whatever it would cost
Old December 11, 2012, 02:30 PM   #19
tkglazie

JR Roosa might be referring to the slow period they experienced earlier in the year. If I remember correctly there was an infrastructure problem (not sure if it was technical or physical) that caused a significant delay in order processing for a time. I have placed 4-5 orders this year and only one was delayed.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:05 PM   #20
hounddawg

ahh ok, this was my first order since February, wanted to stock up on CCI 500's. Seems the only thing I have shot much this year was small pistol and small rifle
Old December 11, 2012, 04:15 PM   #21
Nathan

Twice ordered. Twice satisfied.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:41 PM   #22
Xfire68

Top notch! Powder Valley is great to deal with.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Wyoredman

Do you need to send a copy of your DL before PV will ship to you?

I placed an order a few days ago, then this evening I noticed a statement to that affect on their site. Did I screw up?

I see that they are super busy and are asking for folks not to call with questions for awhile, untill they get caught up. I can understand this.

What do you PV regular customers have to say?
Old January 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #24
Misssissippi Dave

I don't recall having to send a copy of my DL to them to receive my purchases. I have been a customer for a while and I don't live in one of the very restricted states. I have never had a problem receiving my orders from them. There have been times when I ordered things on back order and had to wait for them to get back into stock. That is something that can happen to any company. I have no reason to not expect delivery for anything in stock. My next order should arrive at the earliest on Friday and possibly as late as next week. I placed the order today.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:25 AM   #25
jag2

I did the first time I ordered, just faxed it to them. Not for bullets, but if you order powder or primers I think they need to have some proof on file to prove you are over 18. Not unusual, I think everyone does that, or should.