The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2012, 11:46 PM   #1
SIMP

Pistol Storage

So, I've got my pistols all nice and clean and in the safe. I have a two shelf pistol case with a desiccant pack that's more than adequate. Is it okay to leave them in the safe "open air" after a good cleaning and wipe down?

Many thanks and I do apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
pilpens

- Should be OK to leave them in the safe "open air". Depends on humidity and how long they will sit.
- Firearms I seldom shoot are inspected every month or two and wiped down with oil/grease.

Last edited by pilpens; November 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:55 PM   #3
BarryLee

The only issues I can think of would be caution related to what material you lay them on. I had a friend that lined his cabinet with some thin foam matting and after some time it deteriorated and stuck to some of the guns. He was able to clean the metal surfaces with no problem, but it was still kind of messy.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 9, 2012, 12:08 AM   #4
FloridaVeteran

I put mine in "Stor-Bore" (sp?) and they seem to do a great job of preventing rust here in Florida. I don't know why - presumably they are impregnated with silicone.

Putting a "Damp-Rid" or similar dessicant in the safe ought to improve the situation for everything inside.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5
TunnelRat

If I am putting something away for a length of time I like to give it a light coat of CLP, and then put it in the case in a folded piece of wax paper. The wax paper keeps the foam from absorbing all the oil and CLP is a pretty good at stopping rust.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 9, 2012, 11:18 AM   #6
SIMP

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to cover the foam padding on the shelves with something or simply place the guns atop some different material as recommended above.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7
ROGER4314

I store my pistols in old socks The open weave material keeps them from scratching each other but still allows the gun to "breathe" so moisture doesn't collect.

Flash
Old November 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #8
RC20

Do not use damp rid. It has other stuff that puts out vapors.

Get silicone dessication form Granger or McMaster and keep in the bottom.

You are fine with open safe for a period of time but should keep it closed up as much as possible and the more humidity the more closed it should stay (I would only go in and out in Florida).

The Silicone get change color or the pack indicator will and when it starts to go from blue to pink replace it.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
SIMP

Quote:
The Silicone get change color or the pack indicator will and when it starts to go from blue to pink replace it.
That's a big 10-4. This is the exact ones I ordered. I believe they are made by Stack On.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
cohoskip

I store my handguns on a coated metal rack with a 25 watt light bulb on.
I live in WA with high humidity. Works for me...

NRA Life Member
Old November 9, 2012, 07:32 PM   #11
drail

Just make sure there are NO fingerprints on them and keep a thin coat of oil brushed on and they'll never rust. Oily rags are your friend.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Coltman 77

I oil em up and put them in quality gun rugs. It's worked well for me for 35 yrs.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 11, 2012, 03:32 AM   #13
djcantr

I wipe them down and keep them in a safe with a dry rod.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:21 PM   #14
g.willikers

Oil them up and wrap them in a cloth sprayed liberally with silicone.
Then put them in a container to prevent the oil and silicone from escaping.
Cheap and effective even in a high humidity area.
Been doing that for many years and it seems to keep them good for at least a year.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
SIMP

Took out the foam padding n the bottom of my pistol case today. Cut cardboard pieces out the same size and stuck them in there instead. Used some tee-shirt rags with oil to line the bottom on top of the cardboard to set the pistols on. I also have my desiccant pack in there as swell.

There are many good ideas posted here and I appreciate that. Everyone seems to have their own special way of storing their guns so that makes it interesting. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old November 13, 2012, 08:47 AM   #16
rodfac

Yep...I do that with mine...a good wipe down with a heavier oil...30 wt car oil works well, then into the safe. No fingerprints to start the rusting process after the wipe-down.

Be careful what you lay your guns down on...some fabrics can and do hold moisture...leather has acids in it due to the tanning process...sheepskin "gun sleeves" hold moisture...

I use a plane wood rack, finished in two coats of poly....and I make sure that the gun room does suffer from extreme temperature variations to avoid condensation issues. In that regard, a garage is not a good place for storage., but your closet might be good, no matter what your wife says! Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:46 AM   #17
FloridaVeteran

Rodfac - got more powder than shirts in my closet.

Doesn't keep me from beefing that her closet is 3X the size of mine. Gotta keep 'em aware of priorities.

Besides, how many different shirts do I need? 3? 4? Plus a wedding and funeral one? Powder, now that's way different.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:54 AM   #18
Venom1956

Quote:
Do not use damp rid. It has other stuff that puts out vapors.
Really why do you say that? What sort of vapors does it put out?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 25, 2012, 01:01 PM   #19
RC20

I have not researched it, but it smells. Not a good thing in my opinion where there are a number of other very good options designed for that specific purpose that are proven to work.

I work on electrical equipment, when we seal up a box we use the silicone packs. I do the same with my gun safe.
Old November 26, 2012, 05:02 PM   #20
AndyWest

I store my unloaded pistols in my "drive-in" closet. Ports down, bores lightly oiled. Once a month or so I clean completely with dry patches and re-oil the rails, guides, barrel, anything else the manual calls for. Then I wipe the whole thing down with a (very, very) lightly oiled microfiber cloth. An easy routine to do once in a while when you're watching TV, and a good opportunity for some extra mindless scrubbing under the extractor claw, etc.

[Edit]

Also, I keep a notepad right next to my pistols and I jot down the last date I cleaned each. Makes it easier to keep a consistent rotation.

Last edited by AndyWest; November 26, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 07:00 PM   #21
9mm

My rifles have been in there 1 year + no shooting, I just wipe them down every 6 months. One patch or two, of rem oil down the barrel to keep it safe from rust. A long with dehumidifier in the safe, charge every 3 weeks or so. I have a few pistols in there also, been fine. I bought some packs of Desiccants 1gm packets. I throw them around in the safe and in my ammo cans. Was like $10 on ebay for 100, well worth it.

I used to have a 380 sitting on my desk, I rarely wiped that down. Sat on my desk for about 5 months and never had a problem.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #22
rodfac

FloridaVet, Well said senor!...And at 66, I"m not buying anymore green bananas either...Her closet is at least 3X mine,,,but I've got the entire basement....women are always welcome down there in the "gun room", .... so far two have actually accepted the invitation! Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:28 AM   #23
FloridaVeteran

Rodfac - yep, and Kudos and a salute to you for being a FAC. Some I knew, and many I knew of, didn't return. That was one of the most unsung way-dangerous jobs you could get. On the ground Forward Observer probably was worse, but both jobs were tough. Good for you, that you did your job, you survived, and your a dedicated gun guy wanting to help others.

A hat tip to you.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:36 AM   #24
armsmaster270

After cleaning with CLP I put them in the gun safe with Dessicant.

Old November 29, 2012, 10:47 AM   #25
Wyoredman

This whole conversation begs the question: What do you guys do with the original boxes the guns came in. Do you store them or throw them away? If you store them, I can imagine some of you need quite a bit of storage space for the empty boxes!

I currently store my guns in them, in the safe, but they are taking up too much room and I need to do something different. Rusting guns is not a problem, as the humidity in Wyoming is lucky to ever reach 30% for more than a day. It's dry, real dry, here!

Thanks.