The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 28, 2000, 08:41 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yeeehaaaawww!!!!!

In a long standing cold war - my wife finally relented.
She gave me her full blessing to enter IDPA!

I got 2,000 bucks for gear, other than the guns, which I already have.
What the heck do I get?
Old March 28, 2000, 10:32 AM   #2
Morgan

George, for IDPA, two hundred ought to do it.

All you need is a good concealable holster and ammo carriers, and a few magazines.

With two grand allotted I'd tell my wife I need a full new set of guns, gear, etc.!

Heck, you've got enough to start IPSC open class.

I think you'll enjoy IDPA.
Old March 28, 2000, 07:19 PM   #3
jfrancis

Wow, $2000! If you've already got the guns I'd say $3-500 on holsters and mags (I recommend at least 5 for each gun, if only because that makes the IDPA Classifier easier to shoot). I assume you already have eye and ear protection and a suitable concealment garment. Get your own electronic timer if you have somewhere to practice that allows draws from a holster and relatively fast shooting.

Spend the rest on some good training classes and lots of practice ammo.

Welcome to IDPA. You'll love it!

John Francis
Old March 29, 2000, 03:19 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Thats it huh?

Looks like the rest will go to AMMO for practice & stuff...

About how many mags do I need? 4? 5?
Old March 29, 2000, 06:43 AM   #5
RWK

Wow, am I impressed. I have been trying for months with NO success (in fact, all the recent anti garbage makes it a true "up hill" discussion). Congratulations . . . and what's the secret.
Old March 29, 2000, 08:40 AM   #6
AF Shooter

Mr Hill: You might want to set a little of that 2K aside for entry fees and travel. If the bug bites you as hard as it did me, you'll need it. I used to shoot in one match a month. Now it seems I'm always stopping by the ATM on my way to another match. Not a complaint, cause' the only thing better than shootin' it more shootin'. It can get expensive though.

Good Luck, Be Safe, and Have Fun!

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF
Old March 29, 2000, 09:28 PM   #7
BillOH

George, to shoot IDPA all you need is a self defense pistol, a concealable holster and ammo carriers and a couple boxes of ammo. You probably already have all that. Don't tell your wife though Do you already reload? If not then get a Dillon press and components. The big advantage to IDPA is the low start-up cost. You can get by with 3 mags but a few more is nice so you don't have to spend time between strings loading mags. With the amount of money you have you can get a pistol for each division. Good Luck, Bill
Old March 29, 2000, 10:28 PM   #8
Covert Mission

George,

I would help us to know what you plan to shoot in the way of handguns, and what gear you already have. The Glock is the dominant SSP model as a rule, with HK, Sig, and Beretta following. You can download the IDPA rulebook from the website http://www.idpa.com , or read the rules online, to get a list of approved holsters (many), and allowed gun modifications.

Basically, in SSP (Stock Service Pistol), few modifications are really allowed, beyond grip changes, trigger jobs, aftermarket sights (no fiber optics or half-moon rears like Ashley), and things like guide rods and springs.

ESP and CDP are more lenient in the way of mods. You can have mag wells, for ex. No tungsten guide rods or full length dust covers, though.

As I said, there are many approved holsters, and many shooters like to use what they carry with, if it's approved. The overwhelming favorite in my observation, are the kydex holsters like Blade-Tech, SideArmor, etc. I use the Blade-Tech paddle for my Glock 19/22 (or my B-T iwb model), and a Hellweg Kydex model with adjustable backplate for my 1911. I use either Galco or BladeTech mag pouches. Kydex is fast on the draw, durable, and lightweight. BladeTech: http://www.blade-tech.com or http://www.sidearmor.net or http://www.hellwegltd.com/

As someone mentioned, 4-6 10 rds mags (or 8 rd 1911) is nice... less reloading between strings. Keep your expensive hi-caps at home... you can't load more than 10 in the mag, so why beat them up?

Have a great time. It's lots of fun Kudos to your wife for being agreeable. I'm glad i didn't have to twist my wife's arm too much.

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited March 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old March 29, 2000, 10:38 PM   #9
BILLG

George One other thing you might consider if you don't already have one is a good flashlight such as a Sure-Fire 6z .As you may go to a night shoot or low light shoot also a good set of night sights I prefer the Wilson Nite-Eyes.Good Shooting and welcome to IDPA. BILLG
Old March 29, 2000, 10:46 PM   #10
BILLG

Covert Mission I think the Ashley sights are allowed as they are considered to be of the notch and post design but no Ghost ring sights I am not sure about the fiber optics.BILLG
Old March 30, 2000, 06:51 AM   #11
Ned Roundtree

A lightweight vest to conceal that holster and mags. Most IDPA is shot from conceal.
Old March 30, 2000, 04:22 PM   #12
Covert Mission

Hmmm

This is from the rulebook:

NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:
-Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights
-Heavy barrels and/or barrel sleeves (factory or aftermarket)
-Add on weights of any type, weighted magazines
-Sights of non-standard notch and post type

Does anyone know if the Ashley 'half-moon' rear is allowed? Is that considered a 'notch and post'? Seems like it would be. Ghost rings are definitely out (although I don't know why... you can easily use them on a carry gun).
Old March 30, 2000, 10:53 PM   #13
BILLG

Covert Mission Yes the Ashley sights are allowed check out page 19 in the rule book in the faq section.Good Shooting BILLG