The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Hellbent11

old 870 into HD gun?

With the economy being tight I'd like to find a cheap but functional 870 barrel (finish not important) and have the gunsmith chop it to 16.5" and add a bead for a home defense gun. (I've got an old 870 (ser# 4111**V) I'd like to fire 2 3/4" OO buck through it.

What would it cost to get an old barrel or just a barrel to fit so I could run the 2 3/4" OO buck through with an old gun like that?

Is it more cost effective to do that or just pay the $400 for a mossy 590?

I'm just trying to make the best decision...

Thanks, Hellbent
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old October 11, 2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

Shotgun

Cutting it (to 18.5", BTW) should cost you between $20 and $40 depending on what you wanted for a front sight. We've been doing a ton of barrel cutting lately at the gunshop, people aren't interested in hunting length barrels as much as defensive stuff for some reason. While I would never try to tell anyone not to get another gun, you can probably find a used 870 barrel pretty cheap. Maybe you can get a deal on one with a bit of rust that was left in a gun case last hunting season or something. That would be the most cost effective I think.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Tommy Vercetti

16 1/2 inch barrel would get you into serious hot water with the Feds
Old October 11, 2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

Hellbent11

18 in. CYL, Plain, 2 3/4-3 in., should cost around $80 - $130 depending on condition. Look around at your local pawnshops, gunshops, or at a gunshow.
If all else fails you can check with barrelexchange.com, they always have a large selection of 870 barrels in all conditions.

Barrels with outside surface rust OK, barrels with rusted chamber area and bore NO NO.

Good luck with your NFA scattergun, enough said

Good luck & Be Safe
Old October 11, 2008, 09:20 PM   #5
10-96

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...un_supreme.php
Sorry, this is a little more than you're talking about spending... but not much. AND, there's suprisingly little to go wrong with these things (not that much ever goes wrong with 870's very often). It's my HD / run-around SG.

As I've said before, I don't care if a potential BG can hear me rack my slide. He has other things to worry about. Besides, gambling that said BG can even hear or recognize the rack of a SG is a gamble I'm not willin to take.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 12, 2008, 12:25 AM   #6
TxGun

Just so you know...a 16" barrel is OK for rifles, but shotgun barrels must be 18" per the BATF. Most manufacturers (and people cutting barrels) add 1/4" to 1/2" just to be on the safe side. The measurement is from the closed bolt face to the end of the barrel. And, there is an OAL requirement of 26" (IIRC) for both rifles and shotguns. Any shorter measurements than those noted will require you to buy a special stamp/tag from BATF if you want to be within the law.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Old 870s make great HD shotguns, for shotgunners.

The last used barrel I bought was about 3 years past. A longer VR barrel cut to 26". I sold it to a friend who had it cut to 20" or so, and a new bead mounted. I sold it for $30, what I had paid for it.

I'd get another barrel rather than cut yours. More flexibility of mission.

HTH....
Old October 12, 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
madmag

You can do the work yourself. It's easy to cut to length. Of course make sure it's over 18". Measure with bolt closed from bolt surface. Leave a little extra for safety length. Just put the barrel in a miter box and cut (hacksaw). Then remove burrs with a file. Chamfer the inside a little using a small pattern file. There are a lot of after market sights you can add.

I have done this on a Winchester 1300. Worked great and pattern is good.

Quote:
What would it cost to get an old barrel or just a barrel to fit so I could run the 2 3/4" OO buck through with an old gun like that?
I usually see used barrels for about the $65.00-$80.00 range.
Old October 12, 2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Rmart30

From what Ive seen you can find a used gun for what most new barrels go for...
I was looking for a 18.5" for my 870, found a complete 870 for $50 more than what barrel alone w/shipping would cost. Hmm, $50 more and I get another complete gun.....SOLD
Old October 12, 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Hellbent11

OOHHH! I was thinking rifles. I forgot that it is 18" for shotguns. I'll probably do the 18.5" to be on the safe side.

Some good ideas. Thanks guys!
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old October 13, 2008, 05:46 AM   #11
eme

I've cut a barrel or two down on shotguns using a pipe/tubing cutter. It cuts a square cut and after a little file work to get rid of the burrs, in/out, of the barrel, a blueing type pen or cold blue to touch up the blueing and it's ready to go. Good luck in your quest.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

You DO know you can fire 00 buck through it now, don't you?