The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2008, 08:14 PM   #26
publius

I would try to find an old Browning BSS.
Old October 2, 2008, 05:49 PM   #27
darkgael

SXS

"A fine side by side, has a feel that just makes the gun come alive in your hands."
+1
There is no other gun type like it.
Pete
Old October 2, 2008, 10:22 PM   #28
gunnie12

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

It has both widened my learning experience and education. I am doing the research and heading the local gunshop this weekend.

I am truly excited about the SxS shotguns and looking forward to an initial purchase.
Old October 17, 2008, 02:24 PM   #29
dgludwig

For a light-weight, hell-for-stout, nice handling and well-finished sxs, it's hard to beat a Merkel- even their "low-end" models. And a high resell value is a plus.
Old October 17, 2008, 02:41 PM   #30
BigJimP

For $ 800 - you're going to be a lot better off looking at some O/U's like the used Brownings or Berettas - and get a lot more gun for your money.

Remember the primary issue on shotguns - is do they fit - so they hit where you look. Most SXS's are very short, have a lot of drop at the heel and the comb. For me, that means a custom stock / or a SXS is a waste of money - looking cool doesn't work if they fit so poorly, I can't hit a target with it ........

Beretta and Kimber are making some decent SXS's - but they're still way over $ 800 ( in the $ 2,000 - $4,000 range I believe ) / and I think they both have fixed chokes in them - which makes them of little or no value in terms of playing the clay target games typically where I want to go from a Skeet, IC, Mod choke, for each barrel at least, depending on the game.
Old October 19, 2008, 10:44 PM   #31
mr kablammo

Gunnie12, did you make a purchase? How does it shoot?
Old October 20, 2008, 11:16 AM   #32
fxdrider

Quote:
gunnie12 "Thank you....." To everyone for their suggestions for it is greatly appreciated!

Note:

My budget, if possible and maybe being a little naive here, would be around $800.00

Would this be possible?
Gunnie12, my Stoeger Uplander Combo (12 Gauge barrels and 20 gauge barrels) was around $450.00 at Gander Mountain. It's a very nice side-by-side. Shot goes where you point it, and so far - it goes bang every time. Nice gun that didn't break the bank.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...r_uplander.php