The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Gauge reducer experience...

I am getting a shotgun soon. I plan on a double barrel. I have the most use for a 12 gauge, maybe a 20. There is a short window of time though that it would be best to have a little 410, for sound and less shot. Has anyone shot 410 ammo with gauge reducers in a 12 or 20? If so how did it pattern?
Old May 20, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2
skeeter1

For the most part, I think you're going to be very disappointed with the sub-gauge inserts. The wad won't expand to fit the larger bore, so the velocity is going to be pitifully low. Blow-by will be substantial, so the shot will string out down the barrel and the choke will never come into play.

They sound like a nifty idea, but in reality they're not worth the price of the metal they're made out of.
Old May 21, 2007, 12:41 AM   #3
roy reali

Re:skeeter1

Have you patterned and/or chronographed subgauge inserts? What were your results?

I have a friend that I call the shotgun guru. He has shotguns of every gauge. He uses chamber inserts too. He reloads and has tons of data. He has chronographed thousands of loads and has hundreds of pattern targets. I was just wondering how your data matches up with his?
Old May 21, 2007, 05:16 PM   #4
BigJimP

The cheaper inserts made by a variety of companies - are marginal at best. I've tested a 20ga insert in a 12 ga and there were about 20% flyers out of the pattern. I also tested 28ga insert into a 12ga gun - and it was worse. They're ok to play with - but not for serious skeet shooting, etc.

If you really want to shoot sub-gague in a 12ga gun and don't want to invest in 3 other guns - then go to the full length tube sets from either Kolar or Briley. Both of those systems will give you excellent results. Keep in mind a 20ga tube in a 12ga gun has very thin walls - and shooting very "Hot " loads may crack the tubes - same problem if you put a 28ga tube in a 20ga gun.

The other way to go is with a 4 barrel set - Browning, Krieghoff, etc have made them in the past and Browning has a new 4 barrel set on the market right now. The ribs are different and they are not weight matched so each gague will feel different and swing differently. I don't like the concept - but it's out there.
Old May 21, 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
roy reali

Re:bigjimp

What loads did you test? Where they factory loads or reloads?

I wonder how your data compares with my friend's.