The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Dunecigar

Pictures! The guns. The range. Guatemala

American citizen living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America:

My dear gun brothers and sisters,

I hereby showcase my weapons to you all; The Bersa Thunder .380, The Daewoo DP-51, and the Charles Daly Bul M-5 Commander .45.

I took my guns to the range a few miles outside the city. The range located in the middle of the jungle, heavy foliage and tons of privacy so double tap, combat train, do what you want.

I train in Extreme 90 gunfighting so the target shown was at shot at double arms-length.

Hope I download the photos correctly and if I do then have a look and enjoy.

Best regards,
D. Idaho

This is the range.

My constants at the start of the morning's session.

At the end of the session.

What a fool will look like should (s)he ever try to make a payday out of me.

Last edited by Dunecigar; September 17, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Deaf Smith

Guatemala?

How do you get a legal .45 there? Or 9mm?

I thought all South American countries now only allow .380 and .38 Special.

Deaf
Old September 17, 2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Dunecigar

Here in Guatemala all rounds are legal to own except military grade bullets. If some rounds are not found, ie; 44 mag, Sig .357, 10mm is because of consumer demand. The most popular rounds are 9mm and .38 special.

FYI, BTW, Guatemala is in Central America.
Old September 17, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Deaf Smith

Any chance of a good old U.S Citizen getting ok to bring their pistol down there, maybe for some vacation?

Thanks,

Deaf
Old September 17, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
FYI, BTW, Guatemala is in Central America.
So you're saying there are now 8 continents on this planet?

Or does Central America considers North and South America to be 1 continent like they do in Europe?

BTW, that don't look like jungle to me, more like Georgia. Guatemala, Georgia.
Old September 17, 2013, 11:03 PM   #6
CUBAN REDNECK

Nice range, that's something I always wanted to build. Nothing is getting past that backstop!
Old September 17, 2013, 11:51 PM   #7
tipoc

Quote:

Or does Central America considers North and South America to be 1 continent like they do in Europe?
Maybe you're joking but...

There are two continents in the Western Hemisphere; North America which stretches from Canada to southern Mexico. Then there is South America, which many consider to begin with Venezuela and Colombia and continue to Tierra del Fuego.

The countries that physically unite these two continents are known as Central America. They are not a separate continent. Guatemala is one of those countries.

tipoc
Old September 18, 2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Water-Man

Guatemala is NOT a good vacation destination.
Old September 18, 2013, 04:52 AM   #9
KMAX

Quote:

According to Wikipedia, Central America is part of the North American continent.

Back to the gun topic, I too thought civilians would be more limited on calibers in Guatemala. I enjoy hearing from folks in other countries about their shooting opportunities.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 18, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
carguychris

Let me get this thread back on track, away from pointless bickering about geography...
Quote:
Here in Guatemala all rounds are legal to own except military grade bullets.
Just out of curiosity, how does the Guatemalan government define "military grade"?

I ask this because some other countries- AFAIK notably Italy and Mexico- don't allow civilians to own 9mm Luger / Parabellum handguns because 9mm is defined as a so-called "military" caliber. The solution is to substitute .380 ACP / 9mm Browning Short, .38 Super, or even a specialty cartridge such as 9x21mm IMI, which was developed specifically to duplicate the capabilities of 9mm in markets where its use is prohibited.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:35 AM   #11
jonnyc

Central America, like the Middle East, is a political construct, not a geographical one. Technically, anything south of Mexico is South America.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:48 AM   #12
micromontenegro

Many people and institutions (including the UN) use a 5 continent model, in which America is a single continent, with North, Central and South America being subcontinents. There isn't a single universal "true" way of looking at it.

Quote:
I thought all South American countries now only allow .380 and .38 Special.
That is a common misconception, probably arising from Mexico's laws. I have not checked all countries one by one, but as far as I know, the only one that has a pistol caliber restriction for civilians is Perú, and it will become effective only next month. Peruvian gun owners are still fighting against such measure, so it could be reversed.

Last edited by micromontenegro; September 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Dunecigar

Dear KMAX and carguychris,

You guys are awesome by taking a moment to see my pictures and in taking an interest in where I am currently living.

I can answer both of your questions with one response. Here goes...

In all honesty, it is not the type, caliber, or power of the bullet that a civilian can own, carry, or purchase but the weapon that they are used from. It is the weapon that determines what is military or civilian. Allow me to break it down to you...

Military grade weapons, as defined by Guatemala law, are all weapons classified as "Belica" (bell-lee-ka); weapons of violence, ie;

1. Long Rifles, such as M-16, AK-47, Mini 14, irregardless of caliber.

2. Full Auto anything, from long rifles to machine pistols, such as the Beretta 93R or the Skorpion vz61.

3. Explosives such as grenades and the like.

4. Anything that looks in essence military such as again the Skorpion vz61 or TEC-9.

For civilian use...

1. Handguns, non-full auto, at any caliber.

2. Shotguns, non-full auto.

3. Bolt action rifles at any caliber however only to be used on the owners property. Mainly farmers.

4. Extend magazines are allowed by law but only at the reload. The weapon must have the original factory magazine when the sortie begins.

Bullets at all calibers are allowed, comsumer demand dictates availablity. Such as...

1. Teflon coated, CKs.

2. Black Rhinos types.

3. Glazers.

4. Hollow points expandables.

With a CCWP issued by DIGACAM, the weapons body of the country, a civilian can carry a weapon concealed or somewhat concealed just not complete open carry.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how does the Guatemalan government define "military grade"?
I was wondering that.
You show both 9mm P and .45 ACP, which are about as military as you can get. Do you have a police or military connection to be allowed to own them?

Edit to add: I see how they are categorized. Not caliber, but appearance. This is what some US politicians would like to see done. They would ban anything that LOOKS like a military weapon. (A bolt action rifle with scope sight is a "sniper rifle," of course.)

PS
When I was taking geography in the middle of the last century, we recognized not only North America, South America, and Central America but also Middle America. Middle America comprised Central America plus Mexico.
The language mutates.

Last edited by Jim Watson; September 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
jhenry

North America ends at the Isthmus of Panama, most generally it is considered to end at the Darian Gap. Panama is in North America as is everything north of it.

I enjoyed my time in Guatemala and the surrounding countries. Great fun.
Old September 18, 2013, 01:47 PM   #16
carguychris

Quote:
In all honesty, it is not the type, caliber, or power of the bullet that a civilian can own, carry, or purchase but the weapon that they are used from. It is the weapon that determines what is military or civilian...

Military grade weapons, as defined by Guatemala law, are all weapons classified as "Belica" (bell-lee-ka); weapons of violence... Bullets at all calibers are allowed, comsumer demand dictates availablity.
OK. In other words, the determining factor is whether the gun is on a government-approved list, rather than whether the cartridge or bullet is truly "military" per se.

Of course, restrictions on "military" cartridges are arguably quite arbitrary in many cases, especially if one considers that many military forces have historically used commonplace low-powered cartridges such as .22 Long Rifle and .410 shotshells for introductory gunnery training, or for survival weapons issued to aircrews.

FWIW the Guatemalan "Belica" list superficially resembles the "Prohibited" weapons list used by our northern neighbor, Canada. Interestingly, ownership and use of so-called "Prohibited" weapons is not truly prohibited outright, but is restricted to Canadians who already own one under a grandfather clause- but I digress.
Old September 18, 2013, 05:44 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

OP - while some of these guys argue about geography . . I know where you're at so I really don't think it's an issue . . . I just wanted to say thanks for posting the pictures and information. Very interesting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 18, 2013, 06:26 PM   #18
3.Shot.Group.

What's the official language in Guatemala?
Old September 18, 2013, 06:57 PM   #19
whippoorwill

Spanish
Old September 18, 2013, 06:58 PM   #20
RockyTop

Quote:
Central America, like the Middle East, is a political construct, not a geographical one. Technically, anything south of Mexico is South America.
IMHO anything south of Houston is S. America.
Old September 18, 2013, 09:41 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

OP -

what does your ammo cost down there and what brands do you have available? Are there restrictions on quantity?

Thanks
Old September 19, 2013, 06:13 AM   #22
KMAX

Quote:
Houston itself is questionable. And if you live above I20 you're a Yankee.

Seriously, let's hear more about shooting experiences in other countries.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old September 19, 2013, 07:09 AM   #23
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop View Post
Look a little closer at Houston.... If it isn't yet then it will be S. America within another couple weeks...
Old September 19, 2013, 07:19 AM   #24
micromontenegro

South Florida is also part South America. I hear that the US starts at SR 84

Last edited by micromontenegro; September 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old September 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #25
Dunecigar

Dear bedbugbilly,

Thank you so much for showing in interest in my Thread and for your comment.

Dear Bd_in_FL,

The cost for ammo here is very expensive. The currency ratio is 8 Quetzals (Guatemala money) to 1 U.S. dollar. Plus, there is no sales tax, so all taxes, import fees, overhead costs, and profits are included in the final sales price. For example, the FMJ .45 Winchester rounds I bought for my CD M-5 cost Q375 that $46.

Now as to where the rounds come from; countries such as Mexico, El Salvador, Serbia, Russia, Korea, and Turkey, to name a few, as well as America, supply bullets to us here

Guatemala law allows five boxes of ammo per month can be bought per gun, and if that gun is registered on your CCWP. I have four guns which means I can purchase a total of twenty boxes of ammo every month.

Nice questions. Thank you for taking an interest.

Best regards,
D. Idaho

Last edited by Dunecigar; September 19, 2013 at 05:22 PM.