The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #576
bbqbob51

I kid you not..

Last week I found 2100 rounds of Federal Champion 22LR in a Mil spec steel ammo can on the Cabela's web site for $99! Tax was $5 and shipping was $5 = $109. I used $10 Cabela's reward points to get it out the door for $99. I held my breath until it arrived this past Monday. I opened to box and there it was, a beautiful 50cal ammo can filled with 4 525 count bricks of Federal ammo.
It was a good deal, even by pre-panic standards as the last time I bought a new empty 50cal ammo can it was $20. That really puts the price per brick at $20. I'd post some pics but I don't want to seem like I'm rubbing it in.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #577
hogheaven

Why did nosler stop making partitions for pistol loads?? Best muzzleloader bullets ever.....
Old October 2, 2013, 08:56 PM   #578
StukaJU87

Bbqbob51
That same can of 2100 rounds was selling for $70 (before tax) at Cabela's before the panic. They had stacks of them, really wish I could have talked the wife into letting me buy more than I did.

Nice to see prices are trying to head in the right direction.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:02 AM   #579
Closing The Gap

I've noticed in the past week another price hike at wallyworld. Some are significant. The Federal 9mm 100rd packs were $22 and change now they're $25.77.
Old October 3, 2013, 07:41 PM   #580
Levant

I'd love to pay that price if I could find them.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:49 PM   #581
rrruger

2400 power was available at Sportsman's Warehouse on Monday.
The one pound can I bought was dated 9/03/2013
Old October 3, 2013, 10:17 PM   #582
Colorado Redneck

http://www.gamaliel.com/prodcat/powder.asp

Gamaliel has several powders in stock (as of a few minutes ago). I like'em and they have always treated me great.
Old October 4, 2013, 02:42 PM   #583
bbqbob51

"That same can of 2100 rounds was selling for $70 (before tax) at Cabela's before the panic. They had stacks of them, really wish I could have talked the wife into letting me buy more than I did.

Nice to see prices are trying to head in the right direction."

STUKAJU87, I know, I got one of those last year which helped me weather the recent shortage. I never paid the ridiculous "$70 per brick" that some did. I remember when I was in Cabela's that day last year. I saw the deal and there were dozens of the cans there, I picked one up and wandered around awhile with it and remember saying to myself, "This cans getting heavy, I don't really need this many rounds of 22lr. It's really more than I want to spend today." Thank God I decided to go check out and not put it back.
Old October 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #584
gav1230

Just went to my local gun shop, plenty of .22lr, 9mm, .380, .45, you name it. Prices were good too.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:03 PM   #585
Armed_Chicagoan

I was at the Cabela's in Hammond IN this morning and they had lots of CCI .22 LR, but $9 per 100 limit one.

Better bargain was they had lots of primers, and some of it was on sale! Bought 2 1000 count boxes of CCI small pistol #500 for $30 per box.

Unfortunately not much in the way of powder, just one kind of rifle powder don't remember which one. Oh well, I hopefully have enough already to ride this out.
Old October 4, 2013, 09:49 PM   #586
BuckRub

Academy in College Station, Tx has thousands of Winchester Primers. Over next to the bullets. Never remember seeing primers there ever before. Didnt look at price but if you need they do have.
Old October 7, 2013, 03:39 PM   #587
745SW

Ontario gun show this past weekend people were buying ammo by the case or pack. Pistol ammo like 22LR, 9mm and 45ACP is, IMO, still over priced. 22LR from LAX ammo was $8.99 per pack of 50 or $89 for 500 round of Remington. Rather deceptive IMO considering this pricing label/sign was on a 5000 sealed case. 9mm started at about $16 for 50 rounds factory new (house brand) and 45ACP was $20 on up for factory new.

Rifle ammo was more reasonably priced. A case of 223/5.56 Federal was $399 but the case is 900 rounds rather than the familiar 1000. Same stuff your most likely familiar with from the grocer where the contents has shrunk.
Old October 7, 2013, 07:50 PM   #588
SHE3PDOG

For the third or fourth week in a row now my local walmart (Vista, CA) has had nearly all of the common calibres for the same pre panic prices. I only bought a couple boxes a few weeks ago. I have all the ammo I need, and I don't want to worsen the problem.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old October 9, 2013, 01:34 PM   #589
Woodyed

Remington or Winchester 22LR ammo

I'm posting this thread on 10/9/2013 and of this date my distributors claim that they have none or even seen any 22LR ammo from these manufacturers. Does anyone know if these manufacturers are even shipping out any 22LR ammo? I wish I knew someone in these places who actually works in the ammo facility of these factories who could relate as to what is going on and why distributors aren"t getting any 22LR ammo from Winchester or Remington.
Old October 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #590
Rifleman1776

Woodyed, most big companies are good about communicating with customers. Sporting industry companies are exceptionally good with that and happy to respond to questions. I recently e-mailed CCI about the shortage of, especially, Stingers. They said their manufacturing lines are running full blast 24/7 and shipments are made regularly.
The only reason I can determine for the shortage is hoarding by guys like you and me and it is being done on a super scale that is, IMHO, not likely to slack off soon.
Old October 9, 2013, 06:52 PM   #591
Closing The Gap

Quote:
Remington or Winchester 22LR ammo
I'm posting this thread on 10/9/2013 and of this date my distributors claim that they have none or even seen any 22LR ammo from these manufacturers. Does anyone know if these manufacturers are even shipping out any 22LR ammo? I wish I knew someone in these places who actually works in the ammo facility of these factories who could relate as to what is going on and why distributors aren"t getting any 22LR ammo from Winchester or Remington.
I was able to purchase Winchester M*22 1000rd count today at Walmart and have regularly bought Winchester, Remington, CCI and Federal .22 all year for my family to keep shooting.They are shipping it. You just have to be a little more creative when searching for it than in years passed.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #592
NWPilgrim

I'm beginning to think that semi trailers have holes in them that cargo falls out of on a regular basis. Manufacturers are producing and shipping but distributors are not seeing it. Did the pallets grow legs?

Actually seeing incremental improvement locally here in Oregon on store shelves. I little bit more ammo and bullets, and even small amounts of primers and Alliant powder. Is Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester still in business?!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 10, 2013, 07:52 AM   #593
Rifleman1776

Remington has an ammo plant here in Arkansas and is a highly visible large employer. They have announced the demand for ammunition is outstripping their production facilities even though they are running 24/7. As a result they are building an entire new factory to help (hopefully) meet the demand for ammunition.
I almost have to agree with the comment about holes in trucks. Ammo is being made and shipped but there seems to never be any on store shelves. I'm going to make calls today for .22lr CCI Stingers and .380 fmj practice ammo. If, as is always the case, there will be no Stingers and the import fmj .380 will 2-3X normal retail price if any at all can be found.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:22 AM   #594
Levant

I'm sure that there are those who are taking advantage of their special access - retailers, distributors, etc. - to build their own stocks. Stocks of hundreds of thousands of rounds are not even probably uncommon amongst those with the means and the access.

But I still believe that it's purely a matter of any small increase in demand overwhelms the just-in-time supply side.

After the 2008 election when it got bad, it took nearly 18 months to catch up and stabilize. I don't think it's going to stabilize now until we get a true conservative president again - and that may never happen.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:02 AM   #595
Woodyed

Distributors not getting 22LR ammo

In my original post I wasn't primarily interested in the retail aspect of 22LR availability, I was primarily concerned with why leading large scale distributors were not getting 22LR ammo from Winchester and Remington. I've had fairly large orders for 22LR ammo in to 3 large scale distributors for over 8 months and whenever I ask why I'm not seeing any ammo they all reply that when they get it, then I will get it.
The posts that the pallets of 22LR ammo must be falling out of the trucks or that the pallets must have legs might have some merit to them.
Another scenario that might be considered is that Winchester and Remington are only shipping 22LR ammo to just a few favorite distributors of theirs and ignoring many other distributors. Just a thought. Remember that if the distributors aren't getting the ammo then the dealers aren't either.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:13 AM   #596
vito

I was at GAT in Elgin, IL yesterday. Staff there tell me that they are the third largest seller of ammunition in the USA. All calibers of handgun and rifle ammunition are available without limits, other than 22LR, and prices seem to be just about 15% higher than before the shortages that began a few years ago. For 22LR, a buyer is limited to 4 boxes of 50, at $3.99 a box, or $0.08 a round. They also have sub-sonic 22LR for which there is no limit on how much you can purchase. Ironically, here in Rockford, IL, the shortages are as severe as ever with two major stores (Walmart, MC Sports) that used to have unlimited ammunition on the shelves now having only sporadic availability, and no 22LR at all (at least when I am at the stores asking for such).
Old October 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #597
Rifleman1776

Woodyed, I guess the answer is none of us know what is really happening.
I am dubious that distributors are hoarding or that the manufacturers are favoring anyone. In business the name of the game is to keep customers happy. In business memories are long, one does not reward those who hurt you when times were tough. And hoarding is just plain bad business. A flow of merchandise means a flow of cash. Without cash flow businesses must lock their doors. It is that simple. Wharehouses full of merchandies, whether it is ammunition or shoes, is 'dead money' that helps nobody.
I plan to call the manager of our local Walmart store today to complain that I get a different BS story every time I ask about ammo.
Old October 11, 2013, 10:21 AM   #598
Glenn E. Meyer

Academy in San Antonio - lots and lots of 9mm - lots of 223.

Little 22 LR - those folks are still waiting for the zombie smurf apocalypse.
Old October 11, 2013, 10:31 AM   #599
2damnold4this

BCM has BCGs in stock.
Old October 11, 2013, 10:42 AM   #600
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Little 22 LR - those folks are still waiting for the zombie smurf apocalypse.
That's hilarious. Can I use that as my signature quote?

I do have to nitpick, however. ALL the gun mag experts advise that 20ga #7.5 shotshells are more effective against zombie smurfs, as you can take out more than one at a time, and there's no shortage of 20ga shells.