The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Aberration

My first AR15 upper build

Hello everyone. I have been lurking on these forums forever. Never really had anything to add besides a 'Hooah!', or 'I'm with stupid', so I never registered. With the whole gun debate lately, finally signed up.

So I had bought an Oly Arms back in ~2005 for $350, it was a PCR kit with heavy barrel sold used but it had no wear marks.

It has been a decent plinker, never put her on the bench to see how well I could shoot and qualify like the Army. Well with all this frenzy going around I decided to start picking up parts that were not over priced for 4 rifles. 1 for each in the family, replacing my Bargain bin Oly. Most places seem to be pricing the same just taking back orders. Good on them, good for me.

So I got 4 Spike Zombie lowers on back order. I intend to build 2 Noveske 16" SS uppers, and 2 FN 16" CHF barrels. They seemed appropriate . They unfortunately have not come in... But I managed to get an upper together.

First I upgraded my Oly lower. I decided to put parts on my Oly as they came in, so at least I got practice with the work. I changed the fixed buffer tube to a UTG Pro Mil Spec tube, a Magpul ASAP plate, and a Magpul STR stock. I changed the YHM EZ Pull takedown pins. And a Blackhawk grip. The grip was a spur of the moment at Wally's. I just put a Hogues overmolded on my AK, and I will probably move to that. What an amazing different the stock makes.

I had decided on the YHM Smooth hand guards. I do not like a lot of extra rail just hanging around. They appears to be thick enough, yet offer the ability to add more rails. I also got the YHM bipod adapter for the front. Then I got the Magpul MBUS sights. I hope the plastic holds up!

So I get down and dirty and get the FSB off my Oly. Some good smacks with a steel pin and a 4lb hammer worked perfect. The gas block I got at the time I believe is a YHM with set screw. I have gotten a Daniel Defense, because it was in stock and had a clamping screw instead of the set screw. For this Oly barrel I will put doubled one like the original FSB. Putting the new one on and getting the barrel nut on was super easy. Since the spec was 30ft/lbs min then until the gas tube is aligned, I didn't both with the torque wrench.

Now this Oly was torqued to begin with. To site it in my rear was almost all the way to the left. Now that my site is on the handguard... the torque will change my horizontal alignment. The first time I take it out is with the guys from RRC Firearms. I just bought an Arsenal SGL from them, waiting on AR parts HAHA. The horizontal was outside of adjustment at 50yds.... DAMN IT. So I get it home, I eye ball the rails and realign it. I take it out, either I or it just aren't shooting well. I really need to start wearing glasses. But then my Noveske barrels come in... THEN my ASA upper comes in... Screw this OLY!

I must say, having not benched the OLY, my only complaints are the finish, and the chamber tightness. It doesn't have M4 ramps, so with the tight chamber, it would tend to jam when feeding...

I took a bunch of pictures up to that step, but it all looks the same as any other AR build. So I wont take up the bandwidth.

First I started with an American Spirit Arms M4 Side Charger w/BCG. When I got this thing I was thoroughly impressed. At first glance the design would probably be more fragile on serious field duty. I have taken a bunch of pictures, hope its not too much.

I started the barrel torque at 35lbs. Ended up being damn close in the end. 2 clicks left. Probably should be using a laser boresight or something.

Old February 21, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Aberration

And here is the weak link IMO. This piece that keeps the charging handle captured should probably be steel. If it gets bent or broken you are seriously up a creek.

I found charging the firearm to be FAAAR easier. This platform has always been a pain in the ass to charge. And doing drill with it.... you had to have a pretty good grip.

I intend to get a LaRue QD mount for my Nikon 5.5-16.5x44. I want to see just how well I can shoot.

I took it out yesterday, and I quickly realized why the Army made you wear glasses. My vision isn't atrocious, but I couldn't see the white circle in the orange square at 50yds. Maybe those orange stickies would be better... but glasses would be the right thing.

I did manage to keep it in a 3" group at 50yds, and I barely needed any adjustment, 2 clicks left.

Now I need to get glasses. I started shooting better, but still just too fuzzy to be accurate. And wasting ammo at that.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I took one AR apart the other week and cleaned it thoroughly. Too bad I can't remember how to put it together. Had to pull out the manual. Got most of the lower assembled but won't do the upper until I thread the barrel for a flash suppressor.