The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 18, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
EdInk

Anyone own a famous/celebrity gun?

I know that several people on here have some extensive gun collections. I was curious if anyone happen to have in their collections a famous firearm or one owned by a celebrity?
Old April 18, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2
lamarw

The nearest I can come up with is a shotgun belonging to a Former U.S. Postmaster General. He was a self made man coming from nothing and becoming an exceedingly wealth individual.

The gun itself is not indicative of the wealth of the former owner. It is probably more indicative if the current owner's.

I have numerous other guns I have bought used and have no idea of their provenance. Who knows the stories some of our guns might be able to tell.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Coogs

I have Ruger Maximums that belonged to John Amber, Len Brownell, Pete Kuhlhoff, Jack O'Conner estate, John Wooters, Judge Anderson, and a "few" Others. Best I can remember off the top of my head.Coogs.
Old April 19, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
geetarman

I have a .22 rifle that belonged to my Dad...nuff said.

He wasn't famous but he sure was a good man. I wish he was still with us.

Geetarman
Old April 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Green Giant

I have a S&W 625-4 4" that once belonged to Wiley Clapp.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Coogs

Geetarman, your right, don't get any more famous than that! By the way, so do I! Coogs.
Old April 19, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
RickB

Depends on what you think is famous (infamous)? My great grandfather was part of a citizens committee that ran some folks, who had been determined an undesireable element, out of town (hint: for about fifty years, it was the only major port city on the west coast without what we now call an "international district"). Nickel-plated, 6" S&W M&P.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
camsdaddy

I dont own one that is famous but I have had the opportunity to hold and handle a few. The most famous of which would be a 1911 owned by the late great Col Jeff Cooper.
Old April 19, 2012, 10:11 PM   #9
claydoctor

I regret passing on an opportunity years ago to buy a Colt Single Action that once belonged to Garry Cooper. They wanted thirty five hundred dollars. Right now, if you have a spare nineteen thousand, Turnbull Restoration will sell you a rifle belonging to Tom Selleck.

Last edited by claydoctor; April 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old April 19, 2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Sharpsdressed Man

Just looked at Turnbull's. They don't advertise it as owned by Tom Selleck, only that it might have been made for him. Odd in that..........
Old April 20, 2012, 06:34 AM   #11
mavracer

Closest I have is a set of grips that belonged to John Hart. He played the Lone Ranger for 1 season along with many other westerns.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 20, 2012, 07:22 AM   #12
claydoctor

SHARPDRESSED MAN:

I'm on Turnbull's E-mail list. They recently sent one showing 4-5 rifles.
A Marlin 1881 lever action restored, and engraved with Selleck's initials is described as "currently owned by Tom Selleck".
Old April 20, 2012, 08:11 AM   #13
EdInk

I found a memorbilia website selling a S&W that belonged to Elvis. The price was not listed like all the other stuff. The gun is advertised as coming with a letter from S&W to verify it's previous ownership.

They had one of the TVs he shot for sale too. I guess it REALLY WAS a pain to get up and turn off the set in the old days.

In all seriousness, Elvis was one of the biggest gun-loving celebrities ever. He was one of the most irresponsible ones too.

It just goes to prove, you can take the hillbilly out of the hills but you can't take the hills out of the hillbilly.
Old April 20, 2012, 08:24 AM   #14
BlueTrain

Like most others, I've never owned one that belonged to anyone famous that I know of but I did see a shelf full of revolvers that belonged to the late Claud Hamilton, a relatively obscure gunwriter. They all had stag grips.
Buy War Bonds.
Old April 20, 2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Rembrandt

Have a few personal guns that were autographed by celebrities.......Heston, Palin, and others.
Old April 20, 2012, 06:04 PM   #16
brotus2

I have an 1886 Winchester that lettered as shipped to Buffalo Bill's 101 Wild West Show. I had a guy that owed me rent back in 1979. He didn't have the $135.00 to pay so he offered me the gun in trade. I had just started collecting Winchester levers so I jumped on the offer. The gun was nickle plated that turned to frost and had the heavy barrel with knife blade front sight. Caliber 40-65. I still have it.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:41 PM   #17
gyvel

I've never owned a gun that belonged to a famous person, but I worked on Jean-Claude Duvalier's Gold Cup in the 80s, and also Herbert Hoover's Remington Model 11 that got passed to his grandson.

Duvalier's Gold Cup needed the front sight restaked (LOL!!!!), and Hoover's gun had a broken carrier spring.

In the 70s, I had the dubious privilege of knowing John Ek. He had Fidel Castro's .45 that had been intercepted by U.S. Customs when, after Castro had sent it to Colt for some repair work, he openly declared he was a Communist. How Ek came to possess it is a mystery, but he had "connections in high places," I guess.

Sadly, after he died in '76, the gun disappeared and no one knows what happened to it (with the possible exception of his son, Gary).

Edit: I did once own a Colt 1902 Military .38 auto that, by serial number in Colt's records, was delivered to the "Browning Brothers." I assume it was just something that went to their store, and not actually owned by either of the Brownings, but they may have actually touched it...

Last edited by gyvel; April 20, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Gatofeo

Not a gun, but I once owned the hatchet that George Washington used to chop down the famous cherry tree.
Only the handle and head had been replaced ...
Old April 21, 2012, 12:38 AM   #19
Buzzcook

My granddads Stevens favorite. It had been shot by a friend of his that went on to beat Christy Mathewson in the 1912 World Series.
One of the few series that went to eight games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Bedient

The story goes that Hugh took a shot at a window in an old abandoned shack only to have the owner come running out yelling and shaking his fist.

I guess that was before the four laws.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #20
SA61

Stalone Thompson 45

I picked up a Thompson 45 a few years ago that was owned by Sylvester Stalone, it also has SLY as the serial number. I also checked with auto odinance who confirmed that it was given to him by auto odinance as a birthday present. Just curious what it would be worth today.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:54 PM   #21
claydoctor

Semi-auto,I presume?
Old September 24, 2012, 02:30 PM   #22
WIL TERRY

YEP.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:37 PM   #23
claydoctor

As Seinfeld would say, "that's a shame. "
Old September 25, 2012, 12:23 AM   #24
TPAW

Quote:
i have a .22 rifle that belonged to my dad...nuff said.

He wasn't famous but he sure was a good man. I wish he was still with us.

Geetarman
Excellent post and the best I've seen. My condolences for your dad, he has a respectul and caring son. Cherish that .22
I salute you...........

Last edited by TPAW; September 25, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:46 AM   #25
ClydeFrog

Sly Stallone; Colt Mtg lawsuit...

I recall in the mid 1980s how Sly Stallone pressed a civil action against Colt Mtg because they ran print ads with a Colt 1911a1 Officer's Model pistol with Stallone's name on the slide.
Sly had a valid case IMO. Large companies shouldn't use people's names or images w/o permission for ads unless it's a public domain or the person is a paid endorsement.

Clyde