The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
hhunter318

7x57 Ackley Improved Dies

For the 7x57 AI, I'm getting my smith to chamber my die blank with the PT&G full length die reamer. My question is can I use the standard 7x57 Mauser Hornady Custom New Grade Dimension seating die for the 7x57 Ackley? I've heard all of the dies for the 284 cartridges are kind of standardized among the 7x57, 284 win, 7-08, etc...
Old January 31, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
old roper

You have to buy a 7x57AI seater and Redding/RCBS make the seater not sure about the others Redding seater for the 7x57AI is series "D" @ $54 plus shipping from Sinclair. Neck sizing die for the 7x57AI from Redding is $63.

Lot of sources for custom dies and they can cost from $150 up to $250 set. I'm surprised you gunsmith did give your information a seater
NRA Life Member
Old February 1, 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
F. Guffey

On the Internet anything is possible, in the real world the full length sizer die is not cut with the same reamer as the chamber, before the Internet smiths made the reamer for the chamber, then recut the reamer to cut the die, they knew something then smiths do not get today, something about the necks, the neck of the chamber does not have to be generous, it does have to be larger, again, it has something to do with clearance, the neck of the case must expand, cutting the die and chamber with the same reamer sounds cute.

Something else that is cute, cutting chamber gages with the reamer that cut the chamber.

In 7mm I have a universal seating die, it seats anything in 7mm, the 7mm it will not seat has not been developed yet, with wildcats, I use a 7mm Remington mag die to seat 7mm bullets in 7mm Gibbs, 7mm/06 etc.. Anything in 308 must be adjusted off the shell holder when the case is longer than the case of the 308.

Not for everyone, I have made seaters without body dies, the key to seating is alignment.

F. Guffey
Old February 1, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
old roper

hhunter318, I assumed when you post this "For the 7x57 AI, I'm getting my smith to chamber my die blank with the PT&G full length die reamer" and that means your gunsmith is using a die reamer and not a chamber reamer? If he using the chamber reamer I hope the die blank you got is from Newlon
http://newlonprecision.com/ make a good neck die.
NRA Life Member
Old February 2, 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
hhunter318

Yes I meant that he was using the die reamer not the chamber reamer. I'm aware of the undersize tooling needed when working with the dies (brass springing back and the like).