The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2010, 02:00 AM   #1
James H

.38 spcl/.357 mag shotshells

Just wondering what the extent of kill is of CCI .38 spcl/.357 mag shotshells. I think they're loaded with #9 shot. What have you killed with these loads? Snakes? or larger?

I bought ten rounds from Sportsman's Warehouse about six months ago but still haven't shot them. Thought I'd go out tomorrow and try to pattern a couple. I don't imagine they'd hit hard enough for more than a snake at about 10 ft.
Old November 11, 2010, 06:41 AM   #2
hogcowboy

You got it. They are good for snakes, rats and large field mice only. You have the range correct as well. Closer the better.

American Legion Rider
Old November 11, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I think most of the shot-shells are loaded with 7 1/2 shot. I have reloaded these and the pattern at 7 yards is interesting, but will not penetrate a 1/4 sheet of plywood.

I use mine in my .357 or .45 LC when I am in the barn moving hay. Snakes and mice are not welcome.

They are also fun for popping balloons when used as targets. They are very easy to reload and much cheaper that way.
Old November 11, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
hogcowboy

I load mine with #5 shot I have from way back.....it really does a number on snakes.

American Legion Rider
Old November 11, 2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
I think most of the shot-shells are loaded with 7 1/2 shot.
The CCI's I have in both .38/357 and .44 are both #9 shot. I have patterned them and anything past about 10 ft is useless. When hunting, my first cylinder is loaded with one in case I walk up on a rattler or cottonmouth.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

James H/Doyle: It took me awhile to find the shot shells I had from CCI and you are most definitely correct, they did come loaded with #9 shot. I load mine with 7 1/2 and for some reason I thought that was what CCI loaded also.

You can get the shot shell capsules from Speer and they are very easy to load. You do not need to use any special brass and there is a little reloading recommendation inside the box, listing which powders are recommended.
Old November 11, 2010, 09:04 PM   #7
oneounceload

10 feet, IMO, seems generous, more like 5-7 feet. Patterns tend to be very spotty. They are easy to load, and a lot cheaper than buying them already loaded
Old November 11, 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
huntinaz

I've loaded my own with #8 shot. I've killed a bunch of snakes with it, all pretty close. I'd say 5-7 feet. I knocked a quail out of the air too, but it was also pretty close. Got up right at my feet. At close range it works great on snakes.
Old November 11, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A friend of mine has used the shotshells. They apparently hold a tighter pattern from a 2" snubby than from a 4" or longer barrel.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:23 AM   #10
James H

I haven't gotten out yet, but when I do I'll be shooting from a 4" barrel. I've actually got a Tracker with the ported barrel. Somewhere I read that these loads shouldn't be shot from a ported barrel. I don't see the issue...I'm still going to shoot them...with eye protection as always. If I remember right it was something about the capsule that contains the shot tends to break up because of the ports before it exits the barrel. ??

Actually...more I think about it, it might have been that the shot gets sheared by the ports, instead of anything to do with the plastic capsule. The ports on my gun look at least a size 4, maybe size 2 shot. I guess #9s might tend to enter the ports and get sheared on their way out the barrel.

Last edited by James H; November 13, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old November 13, 2010, 05:29 AM   #11
Uncle Buck

It says right on the box of shells (In Bold letters) DO NOT USE SHOTSHELLS IN FIREARMS WITH PORTED RECOIL COMPENSATORS.

WHy would you risk it?