The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
poline

Just in my head?

I'm at this time reloading for the Ruger .480 SRH. Factory loads go 1350fps out my six inch barrel, with a 325gain xtp bullet. I'm loading a 275gain Speer Gold Dot Jacketed Hollow Point using 325 gain xtp data. I'm surprized to find that the lighter bullet feels like it has greater recoil than the factory load!!!!! Starting gain is 25.0 H110. The chronograph says: High 1253, Low 1195, Avg 1122, ES 58, SD 23. The primers look light to normal. I look at this data and think that it is all in my head, but my shooting hand says different. Any and all thoughts on this are greatly appreciated, even if it is just in my head.
Old September 1, 2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

What data do you get with the heavier bullet? What is the weight of your gun and sights (if you have a scope)?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
poline

(Starting gain is 25.0 H110. The chronograph says: High 1253, Low 1195, Avg 1122, ES 58, SD 23. The primers look light to normal) Sorry this is the data for the 325gain XTP out my barrel . The data for the 275gain bullet is: 25.0 H110 High 1238fps Low 1166fps Avg1198 ES72. Don't know SD. Primers look light to normal. The recoil from both my loads seems harsher than the factory load. No scope, don't know weight of revolver. To total: Factory load 1375fps Both my loads are 25.0 gains H110 one for 325gain bullet, (High 1253) one for 275 gain bullet ( High 1238 fps ).
Old September 3, 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The heavier bullet is clearly burning the powder much more efficiently. That's how it got a higher velocity and smaller SD.

Speer's manual says the starting load for the 275 grain GD using H110/296 is 32 grains and 34 grains is maximum. So, you are just running the powder way below its normal pressure range with that bullet. I'm guessing that as a result of the low pressure you are throwing a lot of unburned powder out of the muzzle where it is hot enough to mix with air and create quite a large muzzle blast. That and rocket effect probably account for the greater apparent recoil. H110/296 directions always say not to download more than 3% because of the powder burning issues, and you are well below that.

For the 325 grain XTP, Hodgdon says 25.0 grains is minimum and 27.0 maximum. Hornady's manual says the maximum is 27.3 grains of powder and gives a much lower starting load, which I would not use because of H110/296's behavior issues. That difference to either of those two maximums would easily account for the velocity difference from the factory loads, so I would work up toward those levels and see what you get?

Also, I note in QuickLOAD and on Alliant's site, that I can get 2400 up to within 40 fps or so of H110, but generating about 11% less recoil because the load is lighter. QuickLOAD put it at 22 grains. That is less than Alliant shows as a maximum of 25 grains. I mention it only because the lighter charge cuts into recoil, so it may be closer to what the factory is using? Alliant also has their new 300MP powder which uses a heavier charge weight than H110 and produces more velocity, no doubt with a penalty of more recoil.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
poline

[For the 325 grain XTP, Hodgdon says 25.0 grains is minimum and 27.0 maximum ] This is same data that the Lee manual gives for this weight XTP bullet. The Lee manual states that I can use a lighter bullet with heavyer bullet date, but that one must work up slowly. The Lee manual does not give data on the 275gain bullet .....like the Speer manual does. Thanks for heads up on the 3% download with H110 powder, I was not aware of that. This convinces me that I have get another loading manual. You have given me alot to think about and consider. THANK YOU, VERY MUCH! [My shooting hand knew it wasn't just in my head ] Now I know why, THANK YOU AGAIN.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

I reload a lot for my .480. I have never tried anything lighter than the 325 gr bullets, but a lot of experiments with them using both hard cast and jacketed bullets. I also load some 355 gr hard cast gas checks and 400 gr jacketed bullets. Don't be afraid of trying different powders, it's a forgiving round to play with.

With the H-110 powder I only make loads on the hot side. It just doesn't work well using lighter pressured loads. If it was me, I would try at least 30 gr of H-110 for the 275 gr bullets. If you want milder loads, try a different powder. 2400 is very versatile over a lot of load ranges. I have had good luck with IMR-4227 also. Unique is extremely versatile for the mid range loads. I even tried some Tite Group with good results on the lower end of velocities. In short, you can make the .480 do a lot of different things with different powders, but don't go too light with the H-110.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

For those interested in the H110/296 issue, go to the entry page for the Hodgdon load data site and scroll down through the warning under the enter link. You'll find it about 2/3 of the way down. The thing to keep in mind is this powder is useful because it gets to magnum velocities with lower pressures than most others do. The penalty is that same lower pressure does not sustain burning as easily as is desirable. Loading it down further lowers the pressure further and the burning reliability goes south.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:20 AM   #8
poline

[ I even tried some Tite Group with good results on the lower end of velocities Doodlebugger 45] I too have tried Tite Group and I'm very pleased with the lower end velocities. I see this as a great target load with the 275gain bullet. The 275 gain being less expensive. The IMR 4227 interest me, but I can't find data on it for the .480. I think I need to get another manual. Same goes with the 2400............My Lee manual is copyrighted 2007.......Like I said another manual. THANK YOU!!
Old September 4, 2010, 08:24 AM   #9
poline

[Unclenick] I checked out the Hodgdon load date site, yeah there it was big as day. Thank you, for passing this info on!!
Old September 7, 2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Doodlebugger45

Another powder that might be of general interest to .480 loaders and other magnum type cartridges is Lil Gun. It looked intriguing to me and I bought a pound of it awhile back. About the same time I bought a can, I read that Freedom Arms had issued a warning against using Lil Gun in their revolvers. I don't have a Freedom Arms revolver, but my BFR revolver is similar in strength and construction, so I sent an email to Magnum Research asking their opinion on the issue. They replied back and were somewhat wishy-washy. They stated that they had not heard of any problems specific to Lil Gun powder in their revolvers, however they were not going to discount any warnings made by a fine competitor such as Freedom Arms, etc, etc.

That reply by Magnum Research kind of left me in limbo as far as using Lil Gun. I loaded up about 5 rounds for my .480 and about 5 rounds for my .454. I shot them with no apparent problems, but I am a bit hesitant to do any more until I hear more about the supposed problems that Freedom Arms has reported. I figure as long as I havee plenty of other powders that my experiments with the Lil Gun powder can wait for awhile.
Old September 7, 2010, 01:45 PM   #11
noylj

I thought there was always a warning NOT to shoot H110/296 below listed starting loads
Old September 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Follow the link and read the warning. It's as clear as mud because they warn you not to reduce loads more than 3% where no starting load is given, but then their own data spans a bigger percentage than that from start to maximum with 296/H110. I'm not sure what conclusion you are supposed to take from that? I think the warning was introduced by Winchester back when they simply gave one and only one 296 load per bullet weight and no starting load. In any event, it was clear the OP's original load was way, way below either 3% or listed minimums and maximums, whichever was greater.
Old September 8, 2010, 04:18 PM   #13
poline

Unclenick

Posts: 5,447 Follow the link and read the warning. It's as clear as mud because they warn you not to reduce loads more than 3% where no starting load is given, but then their own data spans a bigger percentage than that from start to maximum with 296/H110. I'm not sure what conclusion you are supposed to take from that? ]
I wondered about that . Lee gives a stating load of 25.0 which is more than the 3% warning of 26.2. [Maxium load 27.0 ]